Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

DribbleCastle

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 17, 2009
Seattle, WA
I was a fan of the white magic keyboard in past..... but looking at the photos the white keyboard just looks odd/cheap. I guess I'm used to seeing the black keyboards of MacBooks next to the silver. Also very interested to see that the outer portion of the keyboard case is still using a similar material as the folio case. The trouble with the black material is it shows grease and fingerprints way more than the white.

I think white still looks better in most areas of my house, so I'm probably going to stick with the silver/white combo, but black looks good, too.

image (41).png

white.png

black.png

Outside of magic keyboard shown here.

Last edited:

DribbleCastle

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 17, 2009
Seattle, WA
A day later and I'm still not loving the look of the white keyboard + silver. So I've ordered the black combo for store pickup so I have both options. Seems like demand/supply for the 11" isn't as bad as rumored. Black 256GB is back ordered but that is it.

Traverse

macrumors 604
Mar 11, 2013
Here
I personally would not want white keycaps or the white plastic/rubber material which is surly going to discolor and smudge faster. I ordered a silver iPad Pro and if I were to get the keyboard I would still get black. I think when the original Magic Keyboard debuted it only came in black so there was already a mismatch and I personally like the subtle contrast.

Reactions: ZombiePete

yegon

macrumors 68040
Oct 20, 2007
Colour preference aside, it’s a battle between dirt and discolouration (white) or grease (black).

Black every time for me, both aesthetically and practically. Grease can be rectified with a dry paper towel if it really bothers you. Dirt? Good luck. Black will be dirty as well, but if you can’t see it…

DribbleCastle

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 17, 2009
Seattle, WA
Colour preference aside, it’s a battle between dirt and discolouration (white) or grease (black).

Black every time for me, both aesthetically and practically. Grease can be rectified with a dry paper towel if it really bothers you. Dirt? Good luck. Black will be dirty as well, but if you can’t see it…
True. For me the grease bothers me more, because it’s instantly noticeable and you would have to constantly clean it. After about 2 years with the whiter Magic Keyboard the outside looks a great, however the inside edges which will now be aluminum are the part that is fraying. Maybe I’ve just been better taking care of it, or that I don’t leave the house with it a ton. Hard to say.

I’m just gonna check it out in person and go with my gut instinct. I’ll report back for others interested in the topic.

Reactions: lyngo

DribbleCastle

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 17, 2009
Seattle, WA
I personally would not want white keycaps or the white plastic/rubber material which is surly going to discolor and smudge faster. I ordered a silver iPad Pro and if I were to get the keyboard I would still get black. I think when the original Magic Keyboard debuted it only came in black so there was already a mismatch and I personally like the subtle contrast.
No issues with white key caps here in terms of color. With black it’s easier to notice the wear, to me, because it shows more of a noticeable grease/shine/wear mark that can be seen on the keys in many lighting situations. With white keys I feel like you have to look a bit harder for it. MacBook Pro keyboard is a good example of black 2+ years of use.

spinstorm

macrumors 68000
Sep 14, 2007
I accidentally ordered the white Magic Keyboard (I didn’t double check the colour).

However I really like the silver keyboard. I think it looks classy and more expensive. However with a space black iPad I’m not sure it will work. So may need to swap it over. But funny I think it looks good!

RedlegsFan

macrumors 6502a
Mar 15, 2012
Currently have a space black M1 iPad Pro 12.9 with black Magic Keyboard. After years of use, I can see the wear on my black keyboard. The shiny/greasy looking key caps, etc. Wiping it, does nothing. For this Upgrade, I am going with the white keyboard… but sticking with the space black for the M4 iPad Pro.

Macintosh101

macrumors 6502a
Nov 23, 2017
I'm interested in what the silver iPad would look look like with the space black Magic Keyboard, but don't have the time (or the skills) to do a mock-up. if anyone can, I'd be most grateful!

akerns429

macrumors regular
Sep 24, 2013
I was hoping these would be in store prior to my iPad arriving Wednesday, but I guess I'll have to wait. My black smartfolio for my silver iPad Pro arrives here at home today.

akerns429

macrumors regular
Sep 24, 2013
I'm interested in what the silver iPad would look look like with the space black Magic Keyboard, but don't have the time (or the skills) to do a mock-up. if anyone can, I'd be most grateful!
I'm actually interested in this as well! I ordered the silver 11" iPad pro along with the black smartfolio. I'd love to get the new magic keyboard, but I don't know if I'd like the white keys and the white outer back portion the silver aluminum comes with, as it would easily get dirty.

Really, the only thing you'd see with the silver iPad pro along with the black magic keyboard would be the outer edges anyways. So I might just end up trying out the black keyboard and it should be fine.

I really wish they would have made a silver one with black keys like the MacBook Pros.

Macintosh101

macrumors 6502a
Nov 23, 2017
I'm actually interested in this as well! I ordered the silver 11" iPad pro along with the black smartfolio. I'd love to get the new magic keyboard, but I don't know if I'd like the white keys and the white outer back portion the silver aluminum comes with, as it would easily get dirty.

Really, the only thing you'd see with the silver iPad pro along with the black magic keyboard would be the outer edges anyways. So I might just end up trying out the black keyboard and it should be fine.

I really wish they would have made a silver one with black keys like the MacBook Pros.
Yeah me too. I ended up ordering the space grey iPad Pro (11 inch) and space grey Magic Keyboard. there's a clean look about it I hope I'll like.

profdraper

macrumors 6502
Jan 14, 2017
Brisbane, Australia
Here's something I'd really like to know, given Apple's ongoing hype about iPad/keyboard combos as a 'replacement' for a laptop in Job's 'post-PC' world: Can we yet actually use it on our laps? Prior models were hopeles, would overbalance & had poor egonomics in this respect. Of course there remains the onging limitations with the dopey iOS (vs MacOS).

But seriously, for all that vast amount of preice gouging, claims & promises: Can a 13" M4 iPad Pro with new keyboard and/or pencil in the lid really be used on one's lap or in other obvious 'on the go' locations? Or is it still confined to desktop use only, just like the models before it.

akerns429

macrumors regular
Sep 24, 2013
Here's something I'd really like to know, given Apple's ongoing hype about iPad/keyboard combos as a 'replacement' for a laptop in Job's 'post-PC' world: Can we yet actually use it on our laps? Prior models were hopeles, would overbalance & had poor egonomics in this respect. Of course there remains the onging limitations with the dopey iOS (vs MacOS).

But seriously, for all that vast amount of preice gouging, claims & promises: Can a 13" M4 iPad Pro with new keyboard and/or pencil in the lid really be used on one's lap or in other obvious 'on the go' locations? Or is it still confined to desktop use only, just like the models before it.
I can probably count the number of times on one hand that I've sat with my MacBook Pro in my actual lap. I'm either sitting at a desk, lounging on the couch with the laptop resting on it or standing with it at the kitchen island.

Maybe I'm just in the minority, but now I'm curious how many people actually use their laptop by resting it in their lap.

profdraper

macrumors 6502
Jan 14, 2017
Brisbane, Australia
I can probably count the number of times on one hand that I've sat with my MacBook Pro in my actual lap. I'm either sitting at a desk, lounging on the couch with the laptop resting on it or standing with it at the kitchen island.

Maybe I'm just in the minority, but now I'm curious how many people actually use their laptop by resting it in their lap.
The exact oposite here. I use my touchscreen Asus laptop 99% of the time on my lap, outside on the deck in the fresh air and light (and certainly not inside boud up on a desk). Can easily move location, walk about etc & the computer follws me, not the other way around.

Reactions: yegon

Mindfighter

macrumors newbie
May 12, 2020
Silver for me for the white outside, had space black mk and ipad overheated sitting outside with a bit of sun with white mk it was much less of an issue. BUT I do agree space black ipad + mk is the more stylish option this time around!

Gadger Snr

macrumors regular
Jun 22, 2011
I think the longer you keep it, the better off you are for buying the black one. I think the white looks great, but the black still looks new after two years of good use. Just my opinion

yegon

macrumors 68040
Oct 20, 2007
I think the longer you keep it, the better off you are for buying the black one. I think the white looks great, but the black still looks new after two years of good use. Just my opinion
I’ve had two black Magic Keyboards since they released in 2020, one for my 11” and one for my 12.9”. They’ve held up very well, particularly impressive on the 11” keyboard since I’ve used it every work day since. I work on the railway in all sorts of locations, it’s hardly frontier work lol, but it’s by no means a clean & sterile workplace and I use it a lot outside.

Aesthetically, the keys look barely different from new. The trackpad on both are a little shinier in the critical part where I clearly use it the most. The outer shells on both have various scuffs and marks but crucially all the edging is intact.

I’m especially impressed by the hinges, I thought they’d be the first thing to go. I know they’re ludicrously priced but my personal experience has been very good indeed. Looking forward to having a function row at last. I wonder if you can reassign the function keys? I never use dictation, and mine are always in do not disturb. I would like to reassign either to command-h to go to homescreen.

Earlier in thread I commented on the white ones getting dirty. I shouldn’t have really as I’ve never used or even seen one. However, I’ve never had a white device in constant use that hasn’t aged quite badly.

Last edited:

EugW

macrumors G5
Jun 18, 2017

Hmm... I want silver (especially since I want to get the silver iPP), but black keys. Unfortunately, that's not available for the iPad Pro Magic Keyboard. :(

Silver plus black keys what I have for my MacBook and IMO it looks and holds up the best. I have silver with white keys for my iMac keyboards, but the white discolours over time and is annoying to clean.

EugW

macrumors G5
Jun 18, 2017
This is for the older Magic Keyboards and iPad Pros, but I do like the silver iPad with black Magic Keyboard in the video.

Some of the labeling in the video is wrong but you get the picture.

EugW

macrumors G5
Jun 18, 2017
I’ve always found black keys to show the shiny wear quicker than the white. Sure white can show dirt quicker but you can clean off the dirt. Once the shine is there, no fixing it.
I was just thinking about that actually, and it’s true. I just hope the text doesn’t wear off quickly like my white silver iMac keyboards with the concave keys. The older ones with the flat keys were more resistant to that.

Anyhow I’ve decided on the white. I was biased against it before because of the old white Magic Keyboards but the new silver aluminum + white just looks so much nicer in pictures and review videos than the old all white ones.

I’ll have to confirm how much I like it in-store first, but I have time since I won’t be ordering the iPad Pro until June (edu promotion).

Reactions: Nhwhazup
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.