white vs black (question updated)

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by bluedoggiant, Dec 12, 2007.

1. bluedoggiant macrumors 68030

bluedoggiant

ok, i made my decision, black, i am going to get a case for it, the clear ones, does the interior show finger prints as well? if it does, where?

2. amrk47 macrumors regular

they are both the same material

but the white one scratches wayyyy more than the black one

the white macbook is a scratch MAGNET

3. pyr0sphere macrumors regular

I'm pretty sure that in terms of durability, they are roughly the same

I created a similar thread about a month ago:
    http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=390529

I ended up going with the White because the Blackbook is notorious for showing fingerprints

4. heatmiser macrumors 68020

They're essentially the same. Decide which you want, and get it. People just end up supporting whichever model they have and badmouthing the model they don't.

5. bluedoggiant thread starter macrumors 68030

bluedoggiant

no, the black one is made of this silicon material

i guess, the white looks nice, but the black is sexy, and has more taste, the white one would turn more heads

6. Surely Guest

Surely

They're both made of the same material, so they will both be equally durable.

I've had 2 white (obviously) iBooks and now I'm on my first white MacBook. All of my machines looked almost as new as when I bought them. If you take care of yours, it will stay clean. If you buy a proper case (I bought an inCase case from the Apple Store), you will keep it in good shape as you travel.

BTW,
    If you really want the specifications of the Black MacBook, you can save $125 if you buy the middle MacBook (the one that comes with a 120 GB Harddrive) and upgrade that drive to a 160 GB harddrive for $75. It then becomes the same machine as the Black MacBook, except it's white.
    You have to ask yourself: is the black colour worth $125 to you, or would you rather spend that $125 on 4 GB of RAM for your MacBook?

7. amrk47 macrumors regular

no they are both polycarbonate

8. bluedoggiant thread starter macrumors 68030

bluedoggiant

again, no, the black one is made of this matte material

try feeling them both

9. amrk47 macrumors regular

The MacBook's appearance is loosely based on that of its predecessor, the iBook G4. In addition to the classic white case, Apple is offering a premium black case option; both cases are made of polycarbonate, the thermoplastic Apple is known for using in many of its products.

10. MacGuyver macrumors member

lol so true.. I got the black one and it is a finger print magnet.. but it looks sooo much cooler.

11. chrisgohcs macrumors member

chrisgohcs

im using the black macbook myself.

yes it is very prompt to fingerprints. really.
    but the design is pretty stylish. but you have to wipe ur black macbook daily.

not sure about the white. nv use before so shld not comment.

cheers

12. heatmiser macrumors 68020

Listen to what we're telling you :^) They're both made of exactly the same material. The difference is simply the paint job. Get the one you want. The durability is identical, and the material used to make them (besides the paint) is the same. The only difference is in the price you pay for a blackbook vs. a similarly matched whitebook.

13. Xtremekillr macrumors member

Both colors are very stylish especially if you take care of it. Their durability is probably pretty equal, but the blackbook is more bad ass since its more rare!

14. Quillz macrumors 65816

Quillz

This makes absolutely no sense. How can they be the same material if one scratches more than the other?

I think what you mean is that the white shows more scratches than the black.

Again, makes no sense at all. First off all, we live in reality, and in reality, no one gives a damn what computer you have. Secondly, the one that is more sexy and has more taste turns fewer heads? Makes no sense.

15. mag2001 macrumors 6502

dont get the black it shows finger prints more and you will always be wiping it down.

16. Surely Guest

Surely

rrriiigggghhhtttt......

Nothing like paying a premium for status.

"Now everyone will KNOW I spent the most."

17. GSMiller macrumors 68000

GSMiller

I'm gonna go with the black, my friend went with the white and the top is already scratched :(

18. Quillz macrumors 65816

Quillz

No, it's not. In fact, it's actually outselling the white models because of the fact that it's both high-end and different. Why do you think the black 5G iPod outsold the white 5G iPod nearly two to one? Because people like having something they perceive as unique and rare.

19. Quillz macrumors 65816

Quillz

The casing on the MacBook is easily scratched. It's just that it shows up more on white casing. Getting a black MacBook may hide the scratches, but that's all. It will get just as heavily marred in the long run.

20. CalBoy macrumors 604

CalBoy

No it isn't. Both the white and black macbook have a shell that is made of polycarbonate (aka-PLASTIC). There is no silicon on the exterior of the macbook.
    The matte is merely describing the finish. The white has a glossy finish. If you go to an Apple Store (or reseller) and look at them side by side, you'll see that the white macbook reflects light off of the case while the black does not. It's merely the finish, nothing more, nothing less.

Yes, again, different finishes. Have you felt Jell-O before it solidifies and then after? Notice how they feel different, even though none of the chemicals have changed in composition?;)

It makes perfect sense if you think about it. The glossy finish of the white macbook is more prone to scratches just as a mirror is more prone to scratches because the surface is more susceptible to scratches. The matte finish of the blackbook reduces the chances of any one object causing a scratch. However, the white does have the tendency of over-showing scratches, just as the black is better able to hide them. The truth is really somewhere in between.

21. Towhead macrumors regular

I was down at compusa and I looked at the black and white (I have the SR white) and I disliked the white apple on the black, and i disliked the feel of the case of the black and what more, the black looked more beat up than the white by far even though both had probably gotten the same use. the white on the other hand had a dirty trackpad but that's not a problem if you keep yours clean easy enough to do. I'm glad I chose white.

22. ivan1234 macrumors regular

if money is not a problem then I say go for the black one; it looks better, ages better, and is more exclusive. Iam also a student and money is an issue so I have a white one. :eek:

23. Cloudane macrumors 68000

Cloudane

Ask Michael Jackson. "It don't matter if it's black or white. Wooh!" :D

If it's a white iMac, a white one would match it, whilst aluminium goes better with black, IMO.

24. jnc macrumors 68020

jnc

The white has a glossy shell with dull interior, the black is dull all over. They are definitely two noticeable types of finish, anyone saying "they're the same but the black is more" hasn't had experience with both.

Greasy fingerprints show up a lot easier on the black exterior, scratches show up easier on the white.

Fingerprints can be wiped off. ;)

25. abijnk macrumors 68040

abijnk

Well, I've owned both, so let me throw in my two cents worth :)

I loved the look of the black, but really got sick of the fact that is was always dingy and greasy looking. It is very very attractive in my opinion, but a royal pain to take care of.

Now I have a white one, it is attractive as well, but like everyone says, it is a scratch magnet, as any glossy finish will be. I put an invisibleShield on it to prevent the scratches from actually being on the computer.

SO, the question is really this. If you like the looks equally in general, decide which evil you want to deal with (or, pick the lesser of the two evils):

1) Your computer always having fingerprints all over it but not showing a lot of scratches

2) Your computer being scratch prone but not showing fingerprints and smudges very much

That's the short and short of it... :D