Who Actually Buys The Apple Remote?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Hamster747, Sep 10, 2009.

1. Hamster747 macrumors newbie

Hi all just wondering who actually buys the apple remote :confused: and out of the people who buy it how often do they use it :rolleyes: ? Please feel free to get involved in the discussion! Thanks!

2. CartoonHeroII macrumors member

CartoonHeroII

Luckily I've got one from back in the day when they were included. And now that my wife recently got her MBP without one I have the one remote paired to both computers. The remote is great for doing presentations in college. We also only watch tv shows online, using my 24" iMac and the Hulu Desktop app or iTunes. The remote comes in handy for that too. I have thought about getting a second remote and having each computer paired with only one remote because I'll pause a show on my computer or turn up the volume and all of a sudden music starts playing on my wife's MBP as she's typing a report or preparing a lesson. Despite that, a new remote isn't very high on the needs list around here, but having one is very nice when sitting back and watching a show.

3. jointsmoking macrumors regular

I've never bought one.

I have the one that came with my mini.

I use it every day. I will say that since SL it has kinda sucked. Anytime I hit the play/pause button (usually w/ eyetv or vlc) it opens up I-tunes and plays the 1st song, quite anoying.

If I smashed it to little bits in a rage watching Glenn Beck, I would replace it directly.

4. Diejws macrumors member

Diejws

Well, I have an Apple Remote because it came with my Macbook I bought in '07. I rarely use it since I don't use an external monitor and a 13" screen isn't big enough to watch across the room, which is why you'd need a remote in the first place. I'm sure it'd be much more useful if I had a bigger screen. The only real time I use it now is to stop iTunes playback while playing WoW full screen.

5. gan6660 macrumors 65816

gan6660

I have 3. One I bought with my universal dock in 2006 then I got one with my imac and the 3rd came with the new universal dock I won this summer.

6. PDFierro macrumors 68040

People do buy it. At least I would think so. But it's pointless with just a MacBook. I think it's for people who have an iMac, or people who connect their Mac home-theater style. To a big display. I'd get the Apple remote if I had that kind of set-up.

7. Cboss macrumors 6502

Same problem here. It gets very annoying to have iTunes keeping popping up when I'm watching a movie and just want to change the volume or something.

ahh... Glenn Beck... I bet he'd say Obama broke our remotes. ;)

8. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

I got one with my 2006 iMac and I use it all the time. I also like how it retains the volume functionality even under Bootcamp too.
    Under OSX I use it to access my iTunes videos and music when working elsewhere (on FrontRow). Love it! And I'd certainly buy another one if I had another mac I was using as a media centre.

9. OllyW Moderator

OllyW

Staff Member

I've got three of them, though I've never bought one separately.

I use only use one of them, the other two still have the plastic wrappers from new.

10. TuffLuffJimmy macrumors G3

TuffLuffJimmy

Who Actually Buys The Apple Remote?

People who with an :apple:TV who lost the remote.

11. synth3tik macrumors 68040

synth3tik

very few people I think buy it. Hence why Apple started selling them separately.

I have more then a few of them siting around, never used them. It's nice that Apple makes them avalible for people who want them, but they are reducing waste by taking them out, as I think most people can live life just fine without 'em.

12. iBookG4user macrumors 604

iBookG4user

I've never bought one, but I've had three that were included with some of the Macs that I've bought through the last few years. It's very useful for changing songs from across the room.

13. Jolly Jimmy macrumors 65816

Jolly Jimmy

I had one that came with my macbook, but had to buy a new one when I lost it. I use it all the time, for music mainly.

14. alexlovesmacs macrumors 6502a

15. NXTMIKE macrumors 6502

i just got mine with the iPod dock kit and I don't think I would of bought it individually. However, it is a fun little gadget to use when u need to. :apple:

16. NXTMIKE macrumors 6502

oh, and i use it for iAlertu. A great program btw.

17. Kristenn macrumors 6502

I got it so I could do my slides at school in keynote without needing to sit in front of the computer.

18. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

I had 2 of them that came with the computers in my signature. When I got my daughter a 13" MBP for college, I gave her my extra one instead of buying another one.

19. devburke Guest

I disagree with the people who say it's useless on a MacBook or without an external monitor. It's still really useful for skipping, pausing, and changing the volume on your music. I have a MacBook and even without an external monitor I still use it for video playback, Front Row, and Hulu Desktop (although there's a bug in SL so far that doesn't let other apps have exclusive access to it...meaning if I hit Menu while in Hulu Desktop, Front Row will pop up, but I expect them to fix that). It can also be used to put the computer to sleep, and I find it especially useful as a "snooze" button for this fantastic alarm clock.

20. RyanTheGeneral macrumors regular

well i dont own a mac :( however I do own a itouch and an iphone with remote app.. lol same purpose can change my music on itunes from anywere in the house...

21. devburke Guest

Not quite the same. Remote app only controls iTunes, and sometimes I’d like to skip, pause, or turn down the volume without loading up an app and waiting for it to connect over wifi. With a remote just point and hit a button.

22. spillproof macrumors 68020

spillproof

I have two. One for my computer, the other for my iPhone dock. Use them both everyday.

Ditto. It is great for sitting back and controlling a video player, especially if you use your laptop as a DVD player for your TV like I do.

23. RyanTheGeneral macrumors regular

this is true.. for the purpose of it it works though and if I use the touch its loads instantly. if I got a remote with a device would use that but would not buy one if I have a touch that does the same thing for free.

24. sammich macrumors 601

sammich

...people who are willing to pay for it.

But really, although mine came with it I'd get it again, it's a bloody good remote. It's probably a combo of both the receiver in my MBP and the remote itself, but you can point that thing in any direction, seriously, as long as it's in the same room as the computer, it will still control it.

Having a 17" and good audio setup in my room means that the remote is invaluable for chilling out.

25. jb1280 macrumors 6502a

I use mine regularly for keynote presentations.