Who ACTUALLY Uses Widgets?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by shanshor, Mar 8, 2009.

?

How often do you use Dashboard?

1. Only rare occasions

23 vote(s)
    23.2%
  2. Once every few days

11 vote(s)
    11.1%
  3. Once/Twice a day

21 vote(s)
    21.2%
  4. Often

44 vote(s)
    44.4%
  1. shanshor macrumors regular

I think that widgets are a good idea, but they just don't hold much use to me. I still havent even set up dashboard on my macbook.

So, who ACTUALLY uses dashboard?

2. Tomorrow macrumors 604

Tomorrow

OK, I thought I was the only one.

I can see how Dashboard can be useful for some, but I guess after using Macs for 2 1/2 years I still haven't found much of a use for it. I have downloaded a widget that lets you look at some hardware properties (fan speeds, CPU temp, etc.) but even when I was using a PC I only ever looked at things like that if I sensed there might be a problem, which thankfully doesn't really happen with my Macs.

3. riguitargod macrumors newbie

riguitargod

I use mine a lot. Mainly I like to just push one button and have the weather forecast or the calendar right there. I've also installed one that updates my twitter, and therefore my facebook, and I've been using that quite a bit too.

4. Scippy macrumors regular

I use mine to tell me the weather, and also for istat pro, which monitors my computer.

5. okrelayer macrumors 6502a

i use it quite a bit. although i find my two mac friends have it set up, but they rarly use it.

i use it for weatherbug, calculator, to do's,imageshack uploads, and system stats. i love them.

6. Noob616 macrumors newbie

I don't use many but i do use the iTunes widget and the ESPN Hockey widget daily.

7. Jolly Jimmy macrumors 65816

Jolly Jimmy

8. That-Is-Bull macrumors 6502

That-Is-Bull

I have a ton of widgets installed, but the only ones I actually use are dictionary, calculator, and Dinosaur Comics.

9. jamesdmc macrumors 6502

For those of us that ship and receive a lot of packages, this is an awesome widget. It's free, but I liked it so much, I sent a donation to the author. I also check the weather widget every morning before leaving the house.

10. smartalic34 macrumors 6502a

smartalic34

I use dashboard MANY times a day. weather, istat, sports scores, gmail, mail app counter, organize (ical extension), stickies, are just a few I use...

many of these could be used in the menu bar, but that would clutter it

this way I only see these things when I want to

11. jayeskreezy macrumors 65816

I use mine often for the weather, calculator, calendar features.

Can someone link me to the twitter/facebook widget?

12. G5Unit macrumors 68020

G5Unit

With only 1.25gb of ram, I can't really afford to have so many widgets running in the back.

I prefer iGoogle.

13. stokesy7 macrumors newbie

i use it all the time, i have it set up so it show my what my xbox live friends are doing, the weather, my 360 gamertag, sing that tune (for finding lyrics), an album artwork finder, a clock for America (so i know when stuff is released in America) and a calc.

i find it really useful that i can move my mouse to one corner of the screen and get instant access to all of kinds of information which you would usually have to search the internet individually to find out.

i find that it doesn't even use up much of my ram to run all of those widgets, at most i use 2 GB of my 4 GB and when it gets that high i use the program ifreemem to suss out what is in the memory that doesn't need to be, and then it drops it back to like 900MB

14. illegalprelude macrumors 68000

illegalprelude

yea for me, its my iCal, Weather, Stocks, Calculator and Sticky Pad. Plus some Chuck Norris Facts :D

15. dazed macrumors 6502a

I use it all the time. I have the weather, currency conversion, istockphoto, istat pro and a measurement converter on it so far.

16. 11800506 macrumors 65816

I use widgets fairly often. Whether it's to check the weather or look up a word, I just find it more convienient to do so than to using the internet. Also, I think I obsess over iStat Pro a little more than I should :D

17. Sergeant Pepper macrumors member

My friends and I used the Translator widget to make this. I used DashboardKiller after that, I never use it for anything.

18. chr1s60 macrumors 68000

chr1s60

The Widget feature was one of the things that amazed me when I bought my first Mac about 3 years ago. After discovering them, I frequently visited the widget section on the Apple website and downloaded way too many. After a month or two of doing that I pretty much lost interest in almost all of the widgets. At this point if I use any it will be the calculator or weather widget and that's about it. I think it is just one of those things that you either use a lot or rarely use. I do think they are a good thing for Mac, just not something that every Mac user needs.

19. Ivan P macrumors 68030

Ivan P

I only use iStat and Harmonic, however, I do use them quite often.

20. Xavier macrumors 68020

I do this. But now that I actually understand how to use geek tool, I put the weather updates right on my desktop. I also use dashboard for the occasional game that I want to play, like SameGame.

21. Lurchdubious macrumors 65816

Lurchdubious

I actually use it all the time. i love being able to quickly look up word definitions with the dictionary/thesaurus widget, quick-check my iCal, the weather, wikipedia, and iStat.

22. EricNau Moderator emeritus

EricNau

Every day, mostly to check the date/weather or use the dictionary. Occasionally I'll take a note or use the calculator.

23. steve2112 macrumors 68040

steve2112

I actually use the weather and calculator widgets fairly often. The weather one is especially handy at work, since my office is a small, windowless dungeon in the basement. I really need one to tell me just how bloody cold it is my office. It often feels like a freezer in there. Ahh...the joys of working in the server room.

24. Jeremy81 macrumors 6502

I use mine frequently for notes, weather, iStat Pro, and sometimes a quick glance at the calendar.

25. DoFoT9 macrumors P6

DoFoT9

i use widgets all the time, i have a whole bunch

• istat pro (istat mini thing for the desktop)
    • ping pong tennis time
    • stikeys
    • bandwidth usage monitor (custom software)
    • nice big old apple symbol in the middle
    • "stop dashboard" button to free RAM (only got 2gb)
    • converter thingo, calculator and the like..

we should post pictures hahahaha