Who bought 8GB sticks from Transintl Recently?

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by aquablue, Oct 26, 2010.

1. aquablue macrumors member

I'm wondering, if anybody could tell me the make of the RAM and if possible, the part number (I need to look up detailed specs) as they did not offer this on request. I'm also wondering if they came with a heat spreader?

Also, If I were to request a make of RAM, which is better, Samsung or Hynix?

Thanks
    Aqua

2. xgman macrumors 601

xgman

It's Samsung, but they could change at any time I suppose. Don't have model # handy. Their 4GB sticks were Micron/Crucial that I also had from them.

3. aquablue thread starter macrumors member

Thanks buddy.

Do the 8gb samsung sticks come with a heatspreader or bare?

They said I could request a make... if so, which is better, samsung or hynix?

4. JavaTheHut macrumors 6502

JavaTheHut

Transintl sells their 8GB sticks without heatspreaders.

5. aquablue thread starter macrumors member

6. philipma1957 macrumors 603

philipma1957

samsung and hynix both work well.

I have had them in mac minis macbooks macbook pros and imacs. I would not worry about either one.

A Heatspreader can be helpful in very warm areas with machine doing a lot of processing or instead crank the fan up a bit.

7. aquablue thread starter macrumors member

Why? That sucks... how necessary are they anyway? Oh, and where can you get Samsung/Hynix ram with the spreaders?

8. allbald macrumors member

Not very -- unless you are truly planning to overclock your ram which I don't think is possible in OS X.

9. aquablue thread starter macrumors member

I found samsung RAM w/ spreader elsewhere, is it safe to buy at another store?

10. allbald macrumors member

I bought at superbiiz -- heat spreader is fairly unnecessary unless you are going for overclocks and running your ram faster.

You end up paying for a marketing gimmick since in the Mac framework there is effectively no overclocking.

Just buy the cheapest compatible Ram. I bought mine from Superbiiz looking under mac pro memory.

But you can even use something not officially for mac as long as the specs mac -- somone on this site used Kingston Value Ram (even though it was specifically for the Mac). Just make sure it is ECC ram whatever you end up buying.