Who bought an Alu Macbook to replace their 12" PB? I DID!

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by tony-in-japan, Oct 15, 2008.

1. tony-in-japan macrumors regular

Okay, I would begin by giving my beloved 12" Powerbook my deepest gratitude for serving me majestically during these 4-and-a-half years of daily graft. No machine has ever given me such dependability and value, and, I guess, never will. There will always be a place in my heart for such a classic gem of a laptop.

But, as the march of technology continues and without mercy, I need to move with the 21st century.

I ended up getting the 2.4mhz Macbook instead of the Macbook Pro today (3 hours after the Apple Store opened on the day of release). I just felt that the power of the top-end Macbook combined with integrated graphics chip would be plenty for me (as a graphic designer), plus the more portable size was very appealing (since I loved the 12") and the illuminated keys taken from the pro gives it an extra hike up to pro quality, in my opinion.

In fact, I believe this is a true successor to the 12" Powerbook G4 and those longing for a 13" Macbook Pro for these past few years.

Okay, there is the two biggies to deal with: that dreaded glossy screen and the lack of firewire. Well, honestly, the screen is not that bad! In fact, with my new Macbook next to my 12" PB, both screens have their positives and negatives. The glossy has more contrast and vivid colours; the PB has no glare/reflections but is duller. Yes, true, I have found it a little annoying when in a bright room and having harsh reflections, but this can be minimized by changing your desktop image to something brighter (the reflections appear most vivid on a black background). But if you work in a dim room, or even at night, the screen is very beautiful and crisp with minimal reflections. The black bezel definitely grows on you and functions to frame your screen very much like a modern frame in an art gallery. Once you get beyond the contrast of the design (black against silver) and begin to actually work on it, it is actually very pleasant.

As for the firewire, I have a firewire iPod, a Sony camcorder and have just bought a dual firewire/USB portable hard-disk. Personally, it is something I can live without and find ways around. For example, for my camcorder, it uses the Sony memory-sticks, so I can just stick it into a USB reader. I can use the firewire on my PB and transfer files via wireless if needed.

The main noticeable difference compared to my powerbook is simply raw power. Geesh is this Intel baby fast! Another thing I have noticed is the amazing nividia graphics chip. I just downloaded a 1080p quicktime HD movie from the Apple site and played it full screen on my 20" Apple Cinema Display. There is one word to describe this: effortless.

The glass trackpad is very nice too. Has that silky feel when you slide your finger on it. You can click to select a window while simultaneously using your second finger to move the window (the area is FOUR times bigger than the trackpad on the 12"). And the gestures is so handy (compared to the zero gesture function of the 12").

All in all, I would say that I am extremely happy with finally buying an upgrade to my aging 12". I would definitely recommend it to someone considering a successor to their own powerbook, especially if they have started to noticed severe slowness due to the advancement of technology and software. It really started to bug me how slow leopard was becoming, the jumpy movies I was watching, the slow read/write times of files, editing big photos in photoshop, to name just a few annoyances. Now, everything just zips along like a professional skater on ice!

To me, the new 13" Macbook IS that much desired 13" Macbook Pro.

Anybody else who has followed the same upgrade path as me? Care to share your experiences of the move?

Thanks,
    Tony

2. Beric macrumors 68020

Beric

The "higher-end" MB does not have dedicated graphics. Period.

3. tony-in-japan thread starter macrumors regular

Okay, thanks: ‘Integrated graphics processor’. (Edited above too.)

Still very speedy! ;)

4. DoNoHarm macrumors 65816

DoNoHarm

trackpad

are you getting accidental clicking on your all one button trackpad?

5. iShater macrumors 604

iShater

Thank you for posting this thread. I know there are quite a few of us in this boat and we are torn.

Sounds like you plan to keep your PB to be able to do the video.

That is the killer for me. I could LIVE with glossy (get some sort of film on it), and I could LIVE with integrated graphics (simply because it would be faster than my current PB), and I could live with no buttons (I like my travel mouse).

I cannot do my video editing (which coincidentally will be starting up in a few months big time) directly on the machine. I was planning to sell the PB. I have an iMac, but doing the capture on one computer and then moving it to another, and the speed of USB2.0 for external drives when editing?

If you get a chance this weekend and you have time, please try some of that and give us your impressions.

Thanks. :)

Whoa! I actually press pretty hard on the track pad sometimes. This calls for a run to test the apple store display models.

6. tony-in-japan thread starter macrumors regular

Not really. Clicking and sliding should be very different pressures. I actually have my index finder and thumb on the pad. Index to move and thumb to click. If I am moving a window, then I can hold with the thumb while scroll with my index.

Give it a few days or weeks, I guess everyone will eventually master the subtle movements and gestures through everyday use. My brain still sometimes gets confused as to what I am suppose to be doing on that large trackpad! :)

7. tony-in-japan thread starter macrumors regular

Any HD movies which I create on my Sony camcorder is recorded onto Sony memory-stick, so for me to get that AVCHD movie files onto my new Macbook I have a multi-card-reader that connects via USB 2.0.

USB 2.0 is not that much slower than basic firewire. Firewire just seems very consistent in speed when saving. Why don’t you get video equipment to work around the need to use firewire instead?

I will try uploading some AVCHD movie files with USB2 this weekend to see how that goes. By the way, I just installed Final Cut Express on my Macbook. Looking forward to seeing how that performs.

8. Noodle591 macrumors newbie

Oh... I was thinking about changing my 12'' baby for a macbook too.

Could you put some pictures? I want to compare both and I don't have the chance to go to an Apple Store
    Cheers!

9. daneoni macrumors G4

daneoni

I'm currently on the fence about selling my 12" PB and iMac for a MacBook but this Gizmodo review about the horrible viewing angles and making me reconsider. Its bad enough that i'm trading a matte for a Glossy screen that i'll need to adjust to avoid reflections but then having a display that requires me to look at it from a certain angle and only that angle to get a good picture is just not on

The screen on my 12" PowerBook is very good and bright and viewing angles are decent. I want to know i'm upgrading to something better not worse. I went to the Apple store to check the new laptops out and to me the Air/MBP have superior displays but i'm not sure if it is superior to my PB...that is the million dollar question'

10. Yr Blues macrumors 68020

I loved my 12" PB. The GlassBook is .1 lb lighter and thinner as well.

11. CalMin macrumors 6502a

CalMin

I nearly followed this path, but lost my patience in January when they did not release the 13" MB Pro. I got an Air instead.

I love the Air, but not as much as my retired 12" PB. This new 13" MB is tempting me to ditch the Air and get a MB...

12. derryquinn macrumors 6502

derryquinn

13. John Jacob macrumors 6502a

John Jacob

Me too :)

I've ordered a new 2.4GHz Glassbook. When I get it (expected delivery date is only 5th November :eek:) it will replace my five year old rev A 12-inch Powerbook, which I am currently using.

14. tony-in-japan thread starter macrumors regular

I saw that gizmodo article but am not sure of any relevance to real world usage. My experience of the Macbook's screen has been excellent. I wouldn't say it is inferior to my 12" PB or my wife's MB Air, but then again I don't use laptops at extreme angles (why?) anyway.

15. tony-in-japan thread starter macrumors regular

I like the Air alot but the sacrifice of raw power, a SuperDrive and USB port for ultra-thin was not worth it to me. it is perfect for my wife as she wants easy portability, but the new MB is far superior and functional in my opinion. it just has a better balance of everything without making too many compromises.

16. dpc macrumors newbie

I'm a 12" PB'er that just jumped to an aluminum MB too. Got the backlit kb one as well. I was totally sold on the backlit kb.

True, it's pretty much the only significant point of differentiation from the $1,299 model (and $300 more!), but I'm not a frequent buyer so I might as well go with the one I 'desired'. Rather than the more sensible one.

I'm really digging this thing. It's so much snappier. Of course, coming from a 12" PB I guess even a Mac Mini's speed would impress me.

I don't really have any gripes with it. The trackpad is awesome. I was messing with the 12" PB for a bit earlier and it seems that I've already developed a habit as I frequently tried to slide down with my 4 fingers for expose (on the PB), to no avail.

I feel the same way, that this is indeed a 'true successor'.

17. beret9987 macrumors regular

How is editing AVCHD, I must ask? I own a Canon HV30 and the reason I stuck with HDV was due to avoiding the whole, having to convert to AIC in Final Cut which sounds like it might take forever. The idea of having it on an easily accessible media is quite an appealing thought but I must say but I still work with MiniDV, so I'm in need of a Firewire port. I'd love to know what AVCHD editing speeds are like though.

18. chiujai macrumors newbie

I have also bought the new 2.4GHz macbook to replace my pb 12 1.33 GHz. Speed wise, it is about the same as my iMac 2.4GHz, but with the capability of bringing it wherever I go. Now my pb is working as my secondary desktop.

I am skeptical about getting rev A of any Apple product. Having said that I am impressed with the built quality of the new macbook. One improvement is that the temperature of mb is way cooler (rarely goes over 50 degrees Celsius) and I have never heard the fan spins while playing video podcasts.

I have taken some photos comparing the dimension of the powerbook 12 and the macbook for people who are still hesitating to get the mb. (I still prefer the size of pb 12)

http://www.flickr.com/photos/chiujai/sets/72157608183716665/

BTW I am a first time poster.

19. bektravels macrumors regular

Hey, thanks for posting those pics, I've checked out the new MB instore but it's hard to imagine the size difference without seeing them both side by side. I've got a 12" PB that I'm thinking of replacing with the new MB... prolly will do it with the next few weeks:)

20. Yr Blues macrumors 68020

Wow those pics really reminds me how cool the 12" was. I wish they'd go back to that small profile. The keyboard was perfect! Well, it could've been backlit. ;)

21. jade macrumors 6502

This new macbook is really small. The big difference is width. Everywhere else it is pretty much smaller.

22. mcdj macrumors 604

mcdj

WFC???

Anyhow, count me as a now ex 12" Powerbook user. Loved the PB, will miss it dearly. I think history will show the 12" PB as one of Apple's finest moments.

That said, all good things come to an end, and the Powerbook, while technically running perfectly, was just too slow by today's standards. The new MB is a gust of fresh air and a pleasure to use all around.

23. Yr Blues macrumors 68020

It's weird how the 12" is the favorite of all the products that Apple has made and yet they seem to completely ignore it. Just weird.

24. tony-in-japan thread starter macrumors regular

Sorry, I have been a little busy recently to test out AVCHD. Will get round to it some other time and update you then.

Is the new Macbook really a rev A product? I am sure much of it has evolved from the old Macbook with technology taken from the pro range (illuminated keys). The previous Macbook Air was a rev A product, but I am not sure the new Macbook is.

Also, yes, I have not heard the sounds of the fans coming on at all since using it! Makes a nice change from the constant whirring of fans from my PB! Sounded like it was dying from smoker’s cough!

25. CalMin macrumors 6502a

CalMin

Yeah, I don't get this. Maybe it just didn't sell. The near obsession of those that have and love the machine may give it a higher profile than the sales figures.

It could be just that a 10 x 7 display just doesn't cut it any more, and a higher res with a 12" screen is too small. It doesn't seem to be an issue in the PC world, but Jobs is getting old these days...;)