Who cares about Blu-Ray anyway?! Well lets find out.

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by jgbhardy, Oct 15, 2009.

?

Do you care about Blu-Ray

1. Yes, I want it in the iMac for watching movies.

89 vote(s)
    40.8%
  2. Yes, but really only the Mac Pro needs it for the professionals in movie editing.

25 vote(s)
    11.5%
  3. No, I don't care. There are more important things needed.

104 vote(s)
    47.7%
  1. jgbhardy macrumors 6502

jgbhardy

All I keep seeing in the threads on the new iMacs is who cares about Blu-Ray anyway. So how about we actually put our opinions to a poll and stop this who cares I care, and see if there is an overwhelming need for it from Macrumors.

2. sneakyzeal macrumors member

3. Unspoken Demise macrumors 68040

Unspoken Demise

I think it would be a great addition to the iMac for all.

4. aicul macrumors 6502a

But its such a nice item to discuss and has not immediate value ... a rumor !!
    Why kill enthusiasm?

5. jgbhardy thread starter macrumors 6502

jgbhardy

Because people are just being silly now. It has been going on for over a year with people saying o who cares about Blu-Ray anyway. Discussing rumours is all well and good but when we can easily find out the actual preference of the forum it would be much nicer.

6. gan6660 macrumors 65816

gan6660

I would like bluray in MB/MBP. I have many bluray disks and some are older so they didnt come with digital copies so I am only able to watch those at home. Its not really for the hd quality since its a laptop but since I now buy all new movies on bluray i like being able to watch movies anywhere.

7. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

At this point I would say unless I can pop a BluRay disc in my mac and rip a copy for my phone, I couldn't care less about BR.

8. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

I have PS3 for watching Blu-Rays so I have absolutely zero interest of Blu-Ray in a Mac. Mac Pro and Mini are the only ones I think "needs" it. When it's as popular as DVD now, then of course I want one

9. pmjoe macrumors 6502

I want Blu-ray in a Mac mini, but it's not an option in the poll.

10. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

11. AAPLaday Guest

AAPLaday

Ugh im torn on which to vote for because i think we can go another upgrade cycle before seeing it in the iMacs and MBPs. I do think it should be offered as a custom choice though. Mac Pro should have it as standard.

12. Padraic macrumors regular

13. JCP21 macrumors member

Why would there be any need for blu ray in a mac? I would only buy a blu ray player on its own if i was buying a ps3:), like hellhammer said. But i guess we all have different opions [​IMG]

14. Deppe macrumors member

I would rather say IF it get's as popular as DVD are now - that is still a big question!

15. js81 macrumors 65816

js81

Agreed. I have a large LCD TV for watching movies. For that matter, other than data, I've never really cared about DVD on my computers...

16. richu96 macrumors newbie

Why not it all macs?

I think Apple should seriously consider putting blue ray drives in most of their computers! I could see excluding the mac mini and maybe the low end macbook, but I think many people would really like this feature:D

17. Bengt77 macrumors 68000

Bengt77

I actually think the Mac mini needs it most of Apple's current offerings.

18. BlizzardBomb macrumors 68030

BlizzardBomb

You took the words out of my fingers. Don't get me wrong Blu-ray is great, but not £100 extra great. I'd rather Apple put that money elsewhere rather than lining Sony's pockets.

19. TheAshMan macrumors regular

Data capacity and movies.

Dual-layer Blu-Ray discs can hold 50 GB of data, I want it for backups. Please don't tell me to buy an online service to backup the 90 GB of data that I care about, that is ridiculous, even with my 25 Mbps connection. I use Live Mesh, Skydrive, and Dropbox for about 2-6 GB of stuff I really care about as an added measure. I would like to put it all on optical disc and distribute to my family for off-site backup. Right now I have nothing.

Being able to watch movies that you buy or rent on your computer would be valuable too. Blu-Ray should be the future for watching movies, along with online downloads. Discs will be around for a long time, it may as well be the best type. I don't have a Blu-Ray player yet, but will probably get one during the holidays. If I was buying a computer, not having a Blu-Ray player would make me get an HP instead of a Mac. They need to put it in as an option for everything.

I remember when CD burners first came out for PCs back in the early 90s and they were $500. People are complaining about $100? It will come down as the market grows.

20. Bengt77 macrumors 68000

Bengt77

Backing up to optical media is really not a very good idea, as they will disintegrate over time. External hard drives are a much better choice, really.

21. FieryFurnace macrumors 6502

FieryFurnace

I chose "No, don't need,..."

For me, I just don't need a Blue-Ray drive/burner.
    I almost never watch movies, and if I do, I am not using a computer to do that.
    For me, a computer is for work or in some cases games but not for TV/DVD/BD watching - that's what a TV with DVD/BD player is for.
    And when it comes to software, BD won't play a big role for some time.

The only reason I could maybe see a BD-burner in a computer is for professional HD video editing - so maybe a BD-drive/burner as a option for the MacPro. But not really needed yet. :)

Edit to clarify: I didn't feel enough need (yet) for a BD drive in the MacPro so I chose "No".

22. Porco macrumors 68020

Porco

First of all, the option should, and I think would be, for all macs. I think I'm right in saying that all current macs are perfectly capable hardware-wise, it's OS X support that is the obstacle.

If I'm away from home and I want to watch a Blu-ray on my portable mac, I can't. I'd like that option.

If my partner is watching something else on the big HD TV and I want the option of watching a Blu-ray disc on my mac I can't. I'd like that option.

I don't like that Windows has such a clear unarguable advantage over OS X, especially for such a consumer-level issue that anyone (read: potential switchers) can understand. 'Windows plays Blu-ray movies, OS X doesn't.' Compatibility of files and availability of applications has always been a rallying point of Windows Vs Mac, so I think Apple is scoring a ridiculous own-goal by their continued stubborn attitude on this issue.

If you're not interested in Blu-ray in your mac, fine, don't have it. Apple sold 'combo' DVD-ROM/CD±RW drives for years even when DVD±RW 'super drives' became dirt cheap, if you didn't need DVD burning you didn't have to pay for them. I'd like to stress this point: Apple could actually make easy money on BD drives as an option and use those profits to invest back into whatever people who don't care about Blu-ray would rather see in macs, things they regard as more important. Everyone can be a winner here.

It's beyond embarrassing that macs don't play Blu-ray movies at this point, for Apple, for Steve Jobs, and I'd argue, for advocates of OS X.

Steve Jobs, (member of the board of Blu-ray releasing Disney and CEO of Apple, a paid-up Blu-ray association board member): should I really have to install Windows (by Microsoft, who supported the rival HD-DVD format that lost the format war!) on the computers you sell to be able to play a disc with MPEG-4 based content on it? Really? To me, a "bag of hurt" is a bag full of Blu-ray discs that I still can't play on a mac. We pay you to overcome your bags of hurt for us. Please do so!

23. ChrisA macrumors G4

Aren't most consumers buying HD video cameras now? So what are all these people doing with their hi-def footage? They edit it on a Mac and then what? It's stuck on the Mac. I imagine most people buy Blu-Ray burners from third parties.

I don't understand what the fuss it. It you want a bluray burnner just buy one. It just Apple that not selling, others are.

24. Andy348 macrumors 6502

I voted No/don't care but I do think it would be nice for the new Minis, providing it wouldn't make it more expensive.

25. tflournoy95 macrumors 6502

i have a ps3. why the h*ll would i want to watch something on the tiny screen. (compared to my 60 inch of course)