Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ChrisBrightwell

macrumors 68020
Apr 5, 2004
Huntsville, AL
I hacked mine for the sole purpose of adding Mail.app, which should've been there from the start.

If Apple releases it officially (even if it costs me $5 for the privilege), I'll be happy to upgrade to the latest firmware and buy a copy of Mail. Until then, it's 1.1.1 with a jailbreak and a copy of Mail.app for the few times a month that I really find it useful.

It's also nice to know that I can sftp into my iPod and recover any file I want or need.

andychris02

macrumors member
At the risk of sounding like an idiot (a newbie to this site) what the hell is and SDK, I assume its a firmware update or something?

Also, how complicated is it to hack the touch? I just got one yesterday and from what I saw of my mates there are a few things that I'd like to add, such as the email app and stuff like that.

azz0r

macrumors member
Dec 15, 2007
I don't see why you wouldn't hack it.

It's safe, theres lots of cool apps and it allows for theming.

Infact its pretty retarded to not jailbreak it.

gear714

macrumors newbie
Dec 9, 2005
Mine's not jailbroken. I didn't see a need to it already shows videos and plays music which are the two things I use it for. When someone figures a way to let me access all the music and videos on my network HDD via the web, then maybe I'll jailbreak it if that is the only way to get this feature.

mrgreen4242

macrumors 601
Feb 10, 2004
I'm really surprised how many people aren't hacking their touch. It's a device with so much potential that Apple has artificially hobbled just waiting to be unlocked. There's no way that I'd buy one if it wasn't for the hacked 3rd party apps. That's one of the reasons why I'm less inclined to buy an iPhone... it's more "risky" to hack it (it's linked to a service account, so seems like it's more likely to actually brick it somehow or another - maybe I'm crazy though).

MattyMac

macrumors 68000
Oct 6, 2005
NJ/NYC
I dont...I just got it today! Still in the box and I got a sweeeeeet deal!

P.S. I don't plan on hacking it either.

iwannamac

macrumors member
Nov 15, 2007
Apologize for being a newb but is it impossible to
brick it when jailbreaking? That is obviously my
biggest fear!

apsterling

macrumors 6502a
Nov 24, 2007
I hacked mine for the sole purpose of adding Mail.app, which should've been there from the start.

If Apple releases it officially (even if it costs me $5 for the privilege), I'll be happy to upgrade to the latest firmware and buy a copy of Mail. Until then, it's 1.1.1 with a jailbreak and a copy of Mail.app for the few times a month that I really find it useful.

It's also nice to know that I can sftp into my iPod and recover any file I want or need.

Absolutely the same here.

TheDPR

macrumors member
Mar 31, 2005
Sure, the iPod Touch is good out of the box. But it is GREAT jailbroken. No reason not to do it.

dscuber9000

macrumors 6502a
Sep 16, 2007
Indiana, US
I jailbroke my iPod touch. I got all the iPhone apps, an eBook reader, a ton of games (most of which are pretty good), and an NES emulator. I am very glad I did it and I can't even imagine my iPod touch without these apps anymore. :p

iwannamac

macrumors member
Nov 15, 2007
No there really is no chance of bricking. If anything goes wrong you can always restore it in itunes.

On that subject, I remember in the early jailbreak threads there was discussion about iTunes not recognizing a jailbroken iPod Touch when attempting to restore. Is this the case, or is it truly just as easy as connecting and restoring?

Once again, I apologize for being sheepish.

Bowlerguy10

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 23, 2007
At my computer
On that subject, I remember in the early jailbreak threads there was discussion about iTunes not recognizing a jailbroken iPod Touch when attempting to restore. Is this the case, or is it truly just as easy as connecting and restoring?

Once again, I apologize for being sheepish.

No you should be able to just plug in and restore the firmware. You have to do it by holding the home button while plugging in the cable until it gives you that icon that you got out of the box. You then put the 1.1.1 firmware back on that way.

RubberShoes

macrumors regular
Jun 30, 2007
I don't understand why people are not unlocking and instead waiting until February for the SDK. When you have hundreds of free applications that you can download right onto the touch without a computer, you'd rather stick to Apple's standards and money making ways, and now pay for many apps that you can get for free now?

Talk about quality, I've never had any problems with any of the many jailbroken touches ive done for my friends...They all love their iTouches now and are quite happy, I'm buying one myself when I get home, and even after the SDK I plan on keeping mine unlocked and continue to use FREE apps...

cheekybobcat

macrumors 6502a
Dec 26, 2007
U-S of A
i DID jailbreak mine but i started experienceing problems such as when i would press the sleep button to "wake up" my touch, ti would turn white and flicker some black stripes sometimes. also, it was freezing alot. I restored it and did NOT re-jailbreak it and it works fine now. however, i do have friends that dont have problems with their jailbroken itouches so the decision is totally up to the consumer

iCube

macrumors 6502
Nov 3, 2007
I haven't done a jailbreak or hacked it and really have no desire to. It's a few days old, an 8GB "9C" model. It's perfect with Safari Wi-Fi, Youtube, Google, photos, songs and videos! I guess I have had some bad experiences with "modifying" things in the past, so the desire to "jailbreak" is not there. No need for Mail.app, I'll just fire up one of my Macs for that. I just feel better leaving my Touch in factory form.

ebel3003

macrumors 6502a
Jun 20, 2007
"The Google"
I've been running mine hacked since the day the jailbreak was introduced. However if the next iPod touch update introduces the same features that we've been seeing with the iPhone 1.1.3 firmware rumors, I'll probably just run it stock. Full iCal functionality is the only thing that I really needed, and that was introduced a long time ago. Safari shortcuts on the springboard would seal the deal, and a good SDK would just take the cake.

Jailbreaking (the manual way) was a fun experience, though. Since it's pretty safe, I'd at least give it a go and explore the capabilities of the device. iPhysics have been especially fun.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.