Who doesn't like the "phone" in their iPhone?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Steve's Barber, Jul 19, 2011.

1. Steve's Barber macrumors 6502a

Don't get me wrong... my ip4 is a great device. It's an engineering marvel. I like everything it does but the actual phone part. :)

It lags when I dial, takes forever for the buttons to show up so I can put it on speaker... then back to the number pad to sift through a voice menu... then my ear touches the speaker button...

I should've gotten a touch and just some squirrely-assed "cheap" samsung phone for voice. Somebody suggested I do this and tape the phone to the backside of the touch. :D

2. heisenberg123 macrumors 603

heisenberg123

try a restore mine has no lag when showing/hiding the keypad during a call

3. bandofbrothers macrumors 601

bandofbrothers

Hi,

I dont suffer from what your getting from your ip4.

Mines very responsive.

The app 'quick button' also allows me one touch contact or sms dialing.

Perhaps try a restore.

4. TraceyS/FL macrumors 68040

I had very low expectations for the phone part - mainly based on reading here over the years. I have been pleasantly surprised, I actually like the phone part.

My main beef - dialing by searching contacts was fixed by the app Dialvetica.

I do wish the keypad could stay up, it took me awhile to sort that out and it was my own fault I got transferred to an operator instead of pushing the button because I forgot i had to swap the keyboard in....

But overall, no issues or lags with it at all.

5. Sir Ruben macrumors 65816

Sir Ruben

No problems here, when I want to call someone it calls them and the sound quality is clear. All Id expect of a phone really.

6. Steve's Barber thread starter macrumors 6502a

Maybe a restore is in order. I'll give it a shot. I only recently powered down my iphone and fired it back up after 6 months or so. Seemed to "flush" a few problems away.

7. heisenberg123 macrumors 603

heisenberg123

that helps ;)

you can also do a hard reset every day or 2, hold the home and power button untill the apple logo appears on your screen that flushes out lag issues too

8. drewc1138 macrumors 6502

That's the equivalent of turning off your computer by unplugging it. Not advised.

9. Kyotoma macrumors 68000

Kyotoma

This. I noticed on my 3GS that it tends to stay normal if I hard reset every other day and I'd usually restore as new every other month.

10. CSMchris376 macrumors regular

That is not correct. The use of the Sleep/Wake button and the Home button for a reset is part of the Apple troubleshooting techniques. It would be more like using Ctrl-Alt-Delete on a Windows computer to restart the machine.

OP, I've not had any issues with my phone. If you are hitting the speaker button with your ear, then you might be having proximity sensor issues.

11. secondhandloser macrumors member

not sure if serious.

12. BlaqkAudio macrumors 6502

I wish Apple would make it so that dialing shows a list of contacts that match up with either the numbers dialed or the letters dialed, kind of like how the HTC Sense dialer works.

13. Shockwave78 macrumors 65816

Shockwave78

you need to restore your phone...if your using an iphone 4 then it is not normal. If you are using a 3g or a 3gs with the iOS 4 software then yes it will get laggy, it is expected.

14. wordoflife macrumors 604

wordoflife

The controls show up instantly when making a call, so no complains here. It's more or less like any other phone (in terms of quality and features)

15. L I G H T I N G macrumors regular

I know this is bad but while would turning off by unplugging energy source be detrimental to the computer?

16. Sir Ruben macrumors 65816

Sir Ruben

because the computer could be saving data at the time or performing behind the scenes background tasks.

17. DuckSoup macrumors 6502a

DuckSoup

I've long said the weakest part of the iPhone is the phone. I even descibe the device to friends that "it's a pocket computer that also happens to have a phone thrown in".

I rarely make or take calls, not even averaging one a day, so it's not been a problem with me.

Mike

18. SilvorX macrumors 68000

SilvorX

I have no lag on mine, it's the best "phone" I've ever owned. Even in low coverage areas, it works hard to obtain a signal, and very few dropped calls. The proximity sensor sometimes gets annoying but that's about it.

19. Interstella5555 macrumors 603

Interstella5555

I'm not sure why you would buy a high end device without taking to the time to see if it worked for you. I've never had the problems you're describing, but sure, you probably should return it and use an iPod Touch if you don't like the phone. Why wouldn't you?