Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

clukas

macrumors 6502a
May 3, 2010
This is the perfect time to upgrade. the 6S will have the same design as the 6. And a year later the 6S will become way obsolete because the iPhone will change its design. also when it comes to phone, there is no such thing as waiting... The technology changes like everyday.

I disagree. As I said, it will take months for developers to optimise their apps for the larger screens. Also the S cycle introduces new features such as Touch ID in iPhone 5S. If all you care about is how the phone looks sure the 6 will be good, if you care about the experience, the S cycle is probably better.

sunking101

macrumors 604
Sep 19, 2013
I disagree. As I said, it will take months for developers to optimise their apps for the larger screens. Also the S cycle introduces new features such as Touch ID in iPhone 5S. If all you care about is how the phone looks sure the 6 will be good, if you care about the experience, the S cycle is probably better.

Yes, and then the iPhone 7 will be better than the 6S. The *next* iPhone is always better than the current one. You speak of the S models ironing out problems within the same form factor, but the 5S still suffers from loose buttons and rattles. I see no ironing out of problems, only adding Touch ID/a better camera module/A7 chip - and these new features will be honed further on the iPhone 7.
Sure the 4S corrected 'antenna gate' which the iPhone 4 suffered from, but that was a one-off and is the only example of an S model correcting a fault within the same form factor.

clukas

macrumors 6502a
May 3, 2010
Yes, and then the iPhone 7 will be better than the 6S. The *next* iPhone is always better than the current one. You speak of the S models ironing out problems within the same form factor, but the 5S still suffers from loose buttons and rattles. I see no ironing out of problems, only adding Touch ID/a better camera module/A7 chip - and these new features will be honed further on the iPhone 7.

Sure the 4S corrected 'antenna gate' which the iPhone 4 suffered from, but that was a one-off and is the only example of an S model correcting a fault within the same form factor.

So what you're saying is that there is no advantage to either cycle which I agree with. Personally I prefer the S cycle and that's all that I said in my original post.

sunking101

macrumors 604
Sep 19, 2013
So what you're saying is that there is no advantage to either cycle which I agree with. Personally I prefer the S cycle and that's all that I said in my original post.

I prefer the S variant too, but I'm never prepared to wait for it...because then I would want to wait for the next model too. The S model dates quicker than the non-S model. I have an iPhone 5 and it looks almost identical to the 5S. I don't feel like my phone is at all dated due to the fact it shares the same form factor with the latest model. If you buy an S model on a two year contract, for one of those years you have a visibly dated phone.

I7guy

macrumors Nehalem
Nov 30, 2013
Gotta be in it to win it
I prefer the S variant too, but I'm never prepared to wait for it...because then I would want to wait for the next model too. The S model dates quicker than the non-S model. I have an iPhone 5 and it looks almost identical to the 5S. I don't feel like my phone is at all dated due to the fact it shares the same form factor with the latest model. If you buy an S model on a two year contract, for one of those years you have a visibly dated phone.

The 5 may not looked dated, but it became dated when the 5s and 5c were released. This is my opinion, you have a different one.

Purple skier

macrumors member
Jun 22, 2014
I am going to get the iPhone 6 I think I,m going to wait till they've been out for a while so they can smooth out any glitches and also I can go into a shop and hold both styles and see the differences between them and my current iPhone 4. :apple:

techiebug

macrumors 6502a
Oct 20, 2013
I am going to get the iPhone 6 I think I,m going to wait till they've been out for a while so they can smooth out any glitches and also I can go into a shop and hold both styles and see the differences between them and my current iPhone 4.
Me too. I'm not gonna rush buying it on launch. Probably wait for a couple of weeks to see any potential issues reported.

eclipse01

macrumors 68030
May 16, 2011
Eau Claire, WI
Now more so then every since my power button on my 4S died over the weekend.

using assistive touch for the next few months is going to not be fun

palmerc2

macrumors 68000
Feb 29, 2008
Los Angeles
My iPhone 5 failed on me a few months ago, and have been using my iPhone 4 on iOS7....frickin slooooooowwwwwwwww...so yeah, I'm pretty anxious for the 6 to come out.

Unlike past releases, I won't be getting the iPhone 6 on release day.....mainly because I'll be backpacking through Europe in all of September (expected release) and I'm not gonna get one out there that's for sure. Just gonna have to wait until I'm back. Also, it would be nice to hold the 2 different sizes in my hands to see which one I like more before buying.

makerleone

macrumors regular
Apr 24, 2014
USA
I bought my iPhone 5s in march but the screen is not enough for me so waiting for iPhone 6 and really excited.

BCurry1

macrumors member
Jun 12, 2009
Oklahoma
I am really excited about the idea of the larger screen.

Kinda funny 10-15 years ago cell phone designers were in a race to see who could make the smallest cell phone. Now they are in a race to make it bigger. LOL!

TC03

macrumors 65816
Aug 17, 2008
I am really excited about the idea of the larger screen.

Kinda funny 10-15 years ago cell phone designers were in a race to see who could make the smallest cell phone. Now they are in a race to make it bigger. LOL!
They were in a race to minimize useless space. That race has been continuing ever since.

tdale

macrumors 65816
Aug 11, 2013
Christchurch, N.Z.
I've been ranting for what seems years for a bigger screen. In fact, for a normal screen, compared to the rest of the market.

Now its almost here, I'm underwhelmed.
The side bezels may get smaller but the top and bottom won't, so an iPhone 6 will be much larger than others with the same screen size. I see that as quite a fail.

As for the phone, the same incremental upgrades will happen, big deal. I se much more benefit on iOS8 as they are freeing up the silly restrictions, which is great.

If I do get a 6 it will be weeks after release to see if there are issues. And not until I can try a 4.7 and 5.5, then choose.

Will the screen view be identical, just larger, or will there be an option to retain current 5S screen view size so that we can see more real estate? To explain what I mean, imagine a 13" laptop at 1024x768. A 15" on same res makes the screen view the same, and everything is bigger. Or a 15" at 1376x768 so that we see more.

cynics

macrumors G4
Jan 8, 2012
I've been ranting for what seems years for a bigger screen. In fact, for a normal screen, compared to the rest of the market.

Now its almost here, I'm underwhelmed.
The side bezels may get smaller but the top and bottom won't, so an iPhone 6 will be much larger than others with the same screen size. I see that as quite a fail.

As for the phone, the same incremental upgrades will happen, big deal. I se much more benefit on iOS8 as they are freeing up the silly restrictions, which is great.

If I do get a 6 it will be weeks after release to see if there are issues. And not until I can try a 4.7 and 5.5, then choose.

Will the screen view be identical, just larger, or will there be an option to retain current 5S screen view size so that we can see more real estate? To explain what I mean, imagine a 13" laptop at 1024x768. A 15" on same res makes the screen view the same, and everything is bigger. Or a 15" at 1376x768 so that we see more.

I'm hoping its just larger, or a compromise of both. For all practical supposes I have enough content already on the screen, I'd just like it easier to read and more importantly easier to click on small things.

Games on the other hand adding more content could be a bonus depending on the type of game.

I imagine a lot of this will come down to the developer of the app.

tdale

macrumors 65816
Aug 11, 2013
Christchurch, N.Z.
I'm hoping its just larger, or a compromise of both. For all practical supposes I have enough content already on the screen, I'd just like it easier to read and more importantly easier to click on small things.

Games on the other hand adding more content could be a bonus depending on the type of game.

I imagine a lot of this will come down to the developer of the app.

True. The mashups on page 1 show the icons being what appears to be the same size, which would I think mean that the res will increase but at the same ratio as the screen area, i.e. pixel count per inch. Or maybe the res is similar to the 5S and hence lower per inch, making the screen view the same and enhancing readability. And they just made the icons smaller.

Its all about what they do and how, and battery life. There is a benefit from seeing no more but its bigger, but also seeing more. Implementation.

The 4" was a letdown. A relatively high percentage of real estate increase, but all it did was stretch the screen to allow another row of icons, and menu items in Settings. Handy, but in landscape it made no difference. I know that was a quick and dirty way to increase screen size as the apps required minimal changes, I want to see some cool well implemented screen improvements.

I intend to end the annual iPhone upgrade, offers too little

janitor3

macrumors regular
Aug 11, 2010
Glasgow, Scotland
I'm still using my trusty iPhone 4, so might give myself an early Christmas present and get an iPhone 6.
But not til it's been out a few week. :)
(Got to let the rush die down)

Dave245

macrumors G3
Sep 15, 2013
I think my only decision is going to be whether to get the 4.7" or the 5.5" I'm sure Apple will also throw in some surprises. Even tho the 5S leaked last year there were a couple of things that apple took by surprise. Roll on September :) :apple:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.