Who else here uses ProTools?

Discussion in 'Digital Audio' started by UltraNEO*, May 16, 2009.

?

What version of ProTools you use?

1. Pro Tools 8

8 vote(s)
    27.6%
  2. Pro Tools HD

3 vote(s)
    10.3%
  3. Pro Tools LE

2 vote(s)
    6.9%
  4. Pro Tools M-Powered

1 vote(s)
    3.4%
  5. Legacy versions

1 vote(s)
    3.4%
  6. Don't own ProTools, but I use it at/for work

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  7. other DAW

14 vote(s)
    48.3%
  1. UltraNEO* macrumors 601

UltraNEO*

Out of pure curiosity, besides the various breeds of DAW's on offer.
    I'm wondering who else uses ProTools with their Mac's??

If so what version are you folks running? Any why?
    Is it used in a commercial recording studio, personal professional uses or is it part of your home studio?

I've recently started using ProTools again after a ten year abcent and bhoy! This beast just get more and more powerful!

I just noticed, they're new!! What's the difference between the LE and the M-Powered versions? Anyone?

2. Benguitar Guest

Benguitar

No, I don't use ProTools, I know Avril Lavigne runs her shows through ProTools when she plays live. Therefore I know it must be pretty good. Nine Inch Nails use Logic Pro.

I for one only use GarageBand, I am thinking about getting Logic Express for my MacBook Pro, but I may give ProTools a look at.

:cool:

3. junior macrumors 6502a

junior

Yup, use it in my commercial studio in the same country as you, incidentally (tokyo).
    PTHD2 at the moment, but looking increasingly like I'll be needing a HD3 upgrade.
    For personal use (simple editing) I've still got the original mbox.

4. UltraNEO* thread starter macrumors 601

UltraNEO*

I'm actually from England originally but I seem to spend an increasing amount of time in your country..
    I know my passport is full of stamps, visas and odd stubs from shopping. でも、もう直ぐ東京行くよ〜 :):D

5. Benguitar Guest

Benguitar

Hey if you guys don't mind, I would love to hear the Pros/Cons of ProTools over Logic Express and Logic Studio.

I was wondering which one of the three would best suit me, being a guitarist and recording with Apogee Duet and a Sennheiser mic, and which would run best on the machine listed in my signature?

6. UltraNEO* thread starter macrumors 601

UltraNEO*

Sorry, I don't think I'm the best person to give you valuable opinions in regards to whether or not ProTools is right for you. Why? Because for me, it's a familiar platform, it's also the original platform I did my basic training on back in the ole days when Macs still used NuBus.

7. kcfroines macrumors newbie

I personally started with logic express, just to give recording a chance, a few months later I upgraded to Logic pro, and went through the Logic books, which were incredibly helpful. Now I use Pro Tools most of the time, but I still Prefer Logic Pro when I'm doing midi stuff, Just because there is a lot more options that come standard with the program, but I still use both programs on my macbook and imac...

They're both good programs, and they should both work equally well on your computer, it just depends on what your preferences are...

I don't think you'll be able to use your Apogee Duet with Pro Tools though:(

8. joe.cavers macrumors regular

I use Pro Tools 7.4, but prefer Logic Studio.

It essentially boils down to this (for me): Songwriting (including MIDI work)? Logic Studio. Recording and editing actual audio with microphones? Pro Tools. PT8 really steps up the game though.

It really depends on what you want to do with your DAW. I used PT for years then when I started using Logic I realised I would've been far better using that for years.

And the above post is right, you won't be able to use the Duet with PT.

JC

9. CalumC macrumors regular

I think that if you spend long enough on either of them, you can do everything the other can. Logic is very good for quick songwriting, adding bits of midi and getting ideas down, but its also a very accomplished pro recording and mixing system, once you've dug deep enough, theres nothing you can't do that pro tools can. But vice versa, with some decent virtual instrument packs, pro tools is capable of midi as well. Even more so in PT8.

My real issue with pro tools is the whole proprietary interface system. The range and possibility for later expansion is far better when looking at interfaces for logic, because any will work essentially. I don't think Mbox's offer any sort of value in terms of interface, even if they are bundling their software.

10. Benguitar Guest

Benguitar

Thanks everyone! I totally understand where you guys are coming from.

You also may want to give this page a look at here. Scroll down to "We're compatible..." ;)

11. Teej guy macrumors 6502a

I don't see how that's possible. For M-Powered you need to have an M-Audio interface plugged in and for LE, you need to have one of Digidesign's consumer level interfaces plugged in. Otherwise they just won't run. Maybe they're saying it'll work in conjunction with one of the options above?

12. Benguitar Guest

Benguitar

I know right? I looked at it on ProTool's Website and was like.... "How is that possible....?" :rolleyes:

13. Esrb99 macrumors member

the apogee adda16x converters are compatible via expansion cards that connect to protools HD cards... dunno about the others.

Edit: found it!

Software:
    Pro Tools LE

Connection:
    To any Pro Tools LE interface with ADAT, AES, or SPDIF I/O
    that's for the rosetta, I don't think the duet will work.

14. joe.cavers macrumors regular

Spot on mate, this never bothered me until I started using other DAWs and realised how limiting it is to have to cart round an interface. As cliched as it is, I often sit in a coffeehouse with my laptop and write in Logic, and its very very useful to be able to have JUST the laptop and no bulky interface to cart around!

JC

15. UltraNEO* thread starter macrumors 601

UltraNEO*

I've noticed for the in the MBox range there's a MBox Micro2, pretty much a USB dongle with a mini-jack output. It will allow user to lunch PT from their laptop without carting around interface box, however I'm not sure which PT it's compatible with.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

More info:
    http://www.digidesign.com/index.cfm?langid=51&navid=220&itemid=5343

16. Benguitar Guest

Benguitar

So, I'd probably be better off with Logic Express or Studio?

Unless I sold my $500.00 Duet and got M-Audio Stuff. ;) :p

17. pkoch1 macrumors 6502a

pkoch1

It's an MBox so it's compatible with Pro Tools LE. It's the price that bugs me though!

Also, to the OP, don't forget that Pro Tools HD, LE, and M-Powered all come in the Pro Tools 8 variety, so your results may be a little off. I use PT LE 8, but i put PT8 in the poll.

18. UltraNEO* thread starter macrumors 601

UltraNEO*

Thanks.. I should make it more clear!! Though I was thinking more along the lines of their various lines, aimed at different users. You know, how Pro Tools HD is geared more towards commercial recording studios, film and their 001, 002, 003 range is more towards project studios. While their M-powered/Mbox toys are for consumer, home studios etc..

But I do wonder, as far as their Mbox and M-Powered boxes goes, why there's two lines. Is there a reason for them?

19. zimv20 macrumors 601

zimv20

for a long time, digi had two lines, pro (TDM/HD) and consumer (LE). then digi acquired M-Audio and, inexplicably, created PT-M to work with those hardware devices.

the distinction between PT-M and PTLE is so slight they shouldn't even bother. i keep thinking they'll bridge the large gap between LE and HD by making LE the clear mid-level platform, but they haven't really done that, imho.

20. zimv20 macrumors 601

zimv20

pick your software first, then your hardware.

21. UltraNEO* thread starter macrumors 601

UltraNEO*

Interesting... So where does the 003 Factory fit in? Digi's site is a little vague, me thinks. :rolleyes:

22. zimv20 macrumors 601

zimv20

003 is an LE device.

23. Teej guy macrumors 6502a

This is pretty much what I've been able to sum up from the Gearslutz forums: (copied from someone there)

"Profire 2626 = 8 pres with the ability to lightpipe in 16 and better conversion.

003 = 4 pres and 8 lightpiped in

$699 vs. $1199
    "

Apparently in addition to better A/D and D/A, the 2626's mic pres are better too.

I've ordered one, should be getting it next weekend...looking forward to it! I've already got M-Powered 8. I'd agree with what has been said above...I find myself doing composing/midi/etc in Logic but doing band recording based stuff in Pro Tools. I much prefer the multitrack audio editing workflow in Pro Tools to Logic.

24. SlasherDuff macrumors 6502a

SlasherDuff

I haven't used PtoTools since ten years ago, and that was using it for video post production. Great program.

25. mikes70mustang macrumors 68000

mikes70mustang

from what ive read, and heard from other musicians, Logic is the better/more professional way to go. And Protools seems to be for the advanced amature