Who else is afraid of Lightning storms?

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by waloshin, Jun 16, 2010.

1. waloshin macrumors 68040

waloshin

I am petrified of lightning, I hate driving in it, I hate sleeping in it, I hate washing my hands and even sitting on the toilet. I am afraid of sleeping in it as my bed has a huge window right above it

And also is it safe to use your Aluminum Macbook with wifi not plugged in during a storm?

2. Mr. McMac Suspended

Mr. McMac

Lightning can be scary if it strikes close by. That said, I love thunder storms

3. TheAnswer macrumors 68030

TheAnswer

What are afraid of exactly? Not really much to fear, unless you are the Tin Man or Big Butter Jesus.

4. makinao macrumors regular

My cousin had a desktop computer get fried via both the ac line and the telephone line (dialup days) during a lightning storm very close to his house. The same thing happened to most of his neighbors whose computers were turned on at the same time. I've also had a TV go dead via the cable TV line. So when a lightning storm gets very close, I usually turn off and/or disconnect most electronics in my house.

I was once recording a lightning storm with my MD recorder (on battery power). One strike was within a couple of hundred meters. When I opened the recording in my computer audio editor, there was a split-second of blank space. Apparently the strike was so strong that the recorder momentarily went dead.

I was once in a classroom when a lightning bolt hit just 10 meters away. It split a tree, momentarily killed all the lights, and gave off the loudest sound explosion I've ever heard. Aside from this, it didn't hit anything inside the room. So even if you're next to a window, I doubt you would get directly hit.

Having said this, AFAIK the only real danger of getting a direct hit is if you are outdoors in an open field, and wet from rain. Other than that, you are safe.

5. waloshin thread starter macrumors 68040

waloshin

My place getting hit and lightning seeping through tiny cracks near the window.

6. bradl macrumors 68040

bradl

Who Else is afraid of Lightning Storms?

Jesus.

http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=127853137&ps=cprs

Nothin' like having Zeus and Thor bustin' a cap in the Son's arse. :D

BL.

7. quagmire macrumors 603

quagmire

I love lightning. :D

[​IMG]

Granted that it doesn't strike my home or me.

8. corriewf macrumors 6502a

I was once struck by it through the metal in my window. I was looking outside and it struck about 10-20 feet away. When lightening strikes it's hard to actually see it, but it was close. It hurt. :mad:

9. makinao macrumors regular

bradl: I'm not surprised the statue burned down. It was very tall, thus attracting lightning. It was also made of plastic and foam, making it highly flammable.

waloshin: If you're really that terrified, just install a home lightning protection system. In theory it directs the lighting strike directly to the ground so that the rest of the house is unaffected.

10. bradl macrumors 68040

bradl

Agreed. But still...

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Without going PRSI, It would be interesting to hear what the radical Christian Right would have to say about this one.

BL.

11. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

^ Then why not ask that in its dedicated thread?

I love storms. We don't get enough around here. Our place in Poland does and they're always monstrous things that last for hours. One of my cousins friends over there was cycling home during a storm and was killed by lightning, so it's pretty serious stuff. I guess that's why it's so awesome to watch.

Me and the girlfriend have run home twice from thunderstorms, one time a bolt shot right above us... I couldn't even hear it!

12. ctt1wbw macrumors 68000

ctt1wbw

I love thunderstorms. I used to sit in our screen porch and watch them come and go.

I was about 5 feet or so from a lightning bolt, many years ago. I was standing up against the wall of a building and outside the wall an oak tree got struck. Even standing inside, that was painful. I felt the concussion on my chest and my ears were ringing for an hour.

Oh, and I think that bolt of lightning did something to my brain. For some reason, I keep failing statistics in college.

13. patrick0brien macrumors 68040

patrick0brien

In the midwest and Plain States, lightning storms are a spectator sport.

I think Kansas won the division last year.

14. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

I love a good storm, as long as I'm inside. It's the driving in storms part that I hate.

15. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

I love seeing lightening when I'm driving. Love thunder too as long as it's not when I'm sleeping.

16. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

I have never driven or slept in lightning. I imagine that would be fairly uncomfortable. ;) :D

Sitting on the toilet in lightning must really suck. :)

17. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

My two four year old daughters are scared witless over thunderstorms

18. TuffLuffJimmy macrumors G3

TuffLuffJimmy

Looks like suicide.

19. notjustjay macrumors 603

notjustjay

What are the odds of that? ;)

20. andalusia macrumors 68030

andalusia

I love thunderstorms. I wish we had them more regularly.

21. Southerner macrumors member

I don't really like electrical storms either, that I live in the UK where thunderstorms are pretty rare which these occur mostly in the summer months also if we ever get a heatwave!

Not being used to thunderstorms, I can remember being terrified on my first ever visit to Florida which lightning appeared almost every night and the thunderclaps for some reason sounded a lot louder in the States than back home.

The East of England is where thunderstorms most frequent in the UK as the city of Norwich is claimed to be the UK's thunderstorm capital.

I know the feeling of sleeping through a storm with your room being in pitch black darkness, then a bright camera-like flash of lightning wakes you up then you have trouble getting back to sleep again - when a storm is forecast to be heading in my way then I would wear an eye mask when I go to bed and sleep through it!

22. greygray macrumors 68000

greygray

I like seeing lightning (At home or in somewhere safely sheltered) but not hearing thunder.

23. toolbox macrumors 68020

toolbox

I was too at that age lol!! But now i like a good storm, plenty of rain, thunder, lighting doesn't bother me at all.

24. Queso macrumors G4

That's for another thread surely :D

I know someone who hates thunderstorms. He's just a dog though. I am enthralled by them.

25. andalusia macrumors 68030

andalusia

The best thunderstorm I've encountered shook my house. It was awesome :D