Who else is boycotting WB (Warner Brothers)?

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by PowerFullMac, Sep 2, 2008.

1. PowerFullMac macrumors 601

PowerFullMac

I and many other Harry Potter fans are boycotting all new Warner Brothers film as a response to them delaying Harry Potter And The Half-Blood Prince for a year so they can increase profits.

By doing this we hope to actually decrease their profits and get them to change the Harry Potter release date back to November 2008.

This will only work, however, if people actually do it, and they notice a drop in profits.

If you are going to help, please sign this petition.

Thanks!

2. swiftaw macrumors 603

swiftaw

Seriously, if you want to campaign a cause, how about one that actually makes a difference?

3. PowerFullMac thread starter macrumors 601

PowerFullMac

I campaign a lot of stuff, but I dont make threads about all of it coz you would all be pissed off and call me a spammer, which would be true TBH.

For example, until today I had a anti-Wal-Mart link on my signature because it abuses workers and such.

4. PlaceofDis macrumors Core

really?

i mean honestly, what's the big deal, its a movie. not a life-altering event.

5. swiftaw macrumors 603

swiftaw

Fair enough.

6. edesignuk Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

Sad but true...

WB don't owe you anything. Film making is their business. They've deemed it in their best business interest to delay the release, a few people not seeing other WB productions isn't going to change matters.

You'll still be at the cinema next year handing over your cash.

7. Tanglewood macrumors 6502a

Tanglewood

I agree with edesignuk on this one. This allows at least one major blockbuster in the next fiscal for Warner Bros with the writers strike most likely hurting next summer's movie line up.

If you really want to see a Harry Potter movie in November you could watch one of the five already on DVD or just reread the book.

8. xUKHCx Administrator emeritus

xUKHCx

So out of all the things you campaign for the Harry Potter movie is the one you choose :confused:.

Personally I don't care about harry potter one bean but if it were a movie I was interested in then I would be annoyed but I wouldn't let me stop watching other films because of it especially considering it will be released.

9. TheAnswer macrumors 68030

TheAnswer

Actually, they aren't looking to increase profits (although I'm sure they wouldn't mind), they're moving Harry Potter so that next years profits won't pale horribly in comparison to this year.

I was looking forward to Half-Blood Prince as well, but it's only another 6 months. No big deal IMHO.

Like others have suggested, there are a lot more important causes out there. Perhaps you should spend time asking your local candidates where they stand on Wizard affairs or if they'll support a bond measure to build a local Quidditch pitch.

10. zelmo macrumors 603

zelmo

It's their property to do with as they please.
    By the time they film the last pic, these kids are going to look 35. Giants? check...Wizards and witches? sure...Trolls and goblins? why not?

Daniel Radcliffe passing himself off as an 18yo student? Suspend disbelief, my arse.

11. 63dot macrumors 603

63dot

To this poster, Harry Potter is a big deal. I have had causes others have not understood.

I spent many years not buying Microsoft products and it still took some time after Apple and Microsoft made peace. To me that was a big cause, but to most, a computer is just a computer and software is just software. Today, I can say that I love Microsoft's Flight Simulator, their extended key keyboard, and X-Box. Windows XP was not bad but Vista sucks. :)

12. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

You want to decrease their profits within the next 2 months by a substantial amount (how?) so much that they'd actually release the film in November, just 3 months from now (ignoring the impossibility of this due to them not being ready for film distribution, and not having release dates ready in each country, etc)?

Are you going to boycott the Harry Potter film as well, or are you not willing to actually give up what you want to make a point? Lets face it, you'll be trying to watch it on the day of release, and very willing to hand over your money.

13. Shotglass macrumors 65816

Shotglass

I don't mean to sound harsh, but you need to get a life.

It's not like WB is your petty little slave. Their a company that offers stuff to you in exchange for your money. You can accept their offers, or decline. End of story.

I mean seriously, don't you have more important things to worry about than a book?

14. TEG macrumors 604

TEG

The real reason for the delay is to fix effects and to distance themselves from the next series of performances of Equus with Daniel Radcliff, supposed to be taking place in October and November. They want to distance themselves from a nude Harry Potter, so they picked the next available date, after everyone would have forgotten about the performance.

TEG

15. PowerFullMac thread starter macrumors 601

PowerFullMac

Sorry for being off-topic, but then again, it is my thread, but anyway where did that Steve quote in your signature come from?

Its also ironic that Apple apparently didnt pay some of their employees for overtime, one of the things Wal-Mart is known to do :rolleyes:

16. TEG macrumors 604

TEG

The quote comes from the January 2002 Mac World when the iMac G4 was launched. http://news.cnet.com/Jobs-Flat-panel-iMacs-on-the-way/2100-1040_3-802485.html

Overtime only applies to non-exempt salaried employees and hourly employees. Wal-Mart denies payment of overtime to their hourly employees, Apple just had a large number of exempt salaried employees who worked many hours of overtime, just like most other salaried workers.

Back on Topic -

The other reason they moved the Harry Potter movie is because "The Dark Knight" basically put WB in the black for the year, whereas their offerings for next year may not be as strong, so they moved the Harry Potter movie to next year to ensure that they will be in the black next year, regardless of how their other movies do at the box office.

TEG

17. mlemonds macrumors 6502a

mlemonds

im going to boycott apple for waiting so long to release new MacBooks.
    :p

I p:ss and moan when it comes to waiting for the next product X but i have a little patience and enjoy product X when it makes it to the market.

good for the OP to actively boycott something, but IMO it is something that he should have kept to himself and his close HP friends.

18. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

Agreed.

19. shecky Guest

shecky

before you guys go slamming the OP, look at this from the blog linked in his profile (which i assume is his blog):

if the kid wants to be upset about harry potter, let him. i think its silly, but i am not a 13 year old.

20. PowerFullMac thread starter macrumors 601

PowerFullMac

I am 14 now, I havent updated that site for some time.

21. QuarterSwede macrumors G3

QuarterSwede

If the movies were anywhere near as good as the books I may care. However, they're piss poor in comparison (as is the acting).

22. MasterNile macrumors 65816

MasterNile

Off topic: as far as wal-mart is concerned most of their employees are part time, and get paid a lot better than most jobs available to people without an education

On topic: I think age is not a factor in the OP boycotting WB, wait until my friend that was planning to go see harry potter in Nov. with my wife hears about this, she's going to be just about as upset and she's 27 years old (she doesn't have the internet so doesn't keep up on these things, we were there last Sat. and she invited my wife to go see the movie with her)

23. NC MacGuy macrumors 603

NC MacGuy

24. PowerFullMac thread starter macrumors 601

PowerFullMac

They get payed so much they cant afford Health Care or food!

Watch this.

Back on topic, thanks for agreeing with me on the HP thing! :)

25. bradl macrumors 68040

bradl

heh..

WB lost me when they

1) dropped the cartoon theme (Looney Tunes/Merry Melodies/Animaniacs/Superman/JLA) for 'Friends' (bleh) in the Warner Bros. Studio Stores.

2) Closed all the Warner Bros. Studio Stores altogether.

3) Sold their soul to all the tweeny shows (Dawson's Creek, Roswell, etc.).

4) Made all their old Looney Tunes/Merry Melodies 'toons "politically correct."

5) Colourized (Turnerized) some of their classic B&W movies (they were B&W for a reason).

So boycott? meh.

BL.