Who else is excited for Windows 8?

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by waloshin, Oct 26, 2012.

?

Are you excited for Windows 8?

1. Yes

13 vote(s)
    25.0%
  2. No

39 vote(s)
    75.0%
  1. waloshin macrumors 68040

waloshin

Who else on here is excited for Windows 8. I don't know why I am excited for windows 8 when my daily machine is my Macbook Air.

I think I like the widget like ui.

What about you?

2. brentmore macrumors 6502

brentmore

3. steve knight Suspended

steve knight

I don't get excited over os's much anymore. but I hope it is a good upgrade. But the hassle of learning how to use it takes the excitement away.

4. thatoneguy82 macrumors 68000

thatoneguy82

Nope. Tried it and it was too messy. Sticking with Windows 7 Ultimate.

5. ericdubya macrumors newbie

I used windows 8 preview and couldn't stand it. Anyway, any reason why you use Windows 7 Ultimate instead of Pro? The only advantages I know of are bitlocker encryption and using windows in other languages, which I can't imagine being helpful to most users (I'd think they would buy and use the version in their main language.

6. 4JNA, Oct 26, 2012
    Last edited: Oct 26, 2012

4JNA macrumors 68000

4JNA

best quote i've seen yet; windows 8 is windows 7 in a clown suit. :p

for what it's worth, if you get 8 pro, you can go to windows.microsoft.com and use a valid email to get the media center pack for free for a limited time. they email a code that you can use to unlock it. best of metro luck.

EDIT: not the easiest thing to find... link is HERE

7. jicon macrumors 6502

There are SOME decent changes with Windows 8... it is definitely not going to require any need to buy a new machine. The OS is quite fast, and resources are not consumed much at all.

There are some good troubleshooting tools under task Manager, just the only flaw I truly see is running apps in Metro... basically full screen or 80/20 split with something else, and a bit out of the way... but what I've seen so far, most of that stuff is superfluous consumer garbage like weather/skype etc.

Office 2013 Preview works very, very well, and I'm quite looking forward to it particularly more in the next few months.

8. LIVEFRMNYC macrumors 603

I'm more exicited about the new Xbox update and smartglass.

9. Mr. McMac Suspended

Mr. McMac

I'm not much into the Metro desktop so I'll probably be staying with Windows 7 for the time being. I have a legal Win 8 activation key. I'll probably install it on a spare HD I have just to play around, maybe it'll grow on me.. You never know..

10. Jessica Lares macrumors G3

Jessica Lares

Smartglass is pretty awesome on my Galaxy S2. Now I can sit in my room and change the screen and move around things while people are using it. :D

I'm waiting on drivers for Boot Camp. Using the multitouch will be interesting.

11. wordoflife macrumors 604

wordoflife

Why they removed the start menu is still beyond me...
    I don't want to have anything to do with that Metro UI near my desktop.
    :shrugs:

12. boss.king macrumors 68040

boss.king

Gave it a good whirl today, I was very impressed. I think I'd mainly stay in desktop mode, but the metro option is awesome for laptops and tablets. Really wish I had some spare money lying around to get it. Maybe I'll hint it to my gf, she always complains that she doesn't know what to get me for christmas :cool:

13. thatoneguy82 macrumors 68000

thatoneguy82

No real reason. I just like having the highest version of it; the Ultimate version. Seriously. Haha. I don't use bitlocker since it's a VM. I use it in my main language, English.

14. AbyssImpact macrumors 6502a

I don't get it. I have Windows 7 home premium right now and it comes with Windows media center. Are you saying that if you install Windows 8 pro, you will need to buy that software separately? (as they will be giving the media center pack for free for a LIMITED time)

15. mrsir2009 macrumors 604

mrsir2009

I wouldn't say I'm excited, but I'm certainly interested to see how Win8 will be received :)

16. mobilehaathi macrumors G3

mobilehaathi

17. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

I don't see it as an improvement on 7 so I'll stick with that. MS are quite good at listening to what people want, so I'll wait till the inevitable SP1 that fixes everything we don't like.

18. Renzatic Suspended

Renzatic

Gramps, what the hell am I paying you for?
    There are improvements, they're just not mind blowing. A few tweaks here and there, better battery life on laptops, doesnt use resources as heavily. Little tweaks.

If it were a full priced upgrade, I probably would've skipped it. But for $40? It's worth it. I'm installing it now.

19. sviato macrumors 68020

sviato

Considering selling my MacBook Air and getting a Windows 8 laptop

20. avro707 macrumors 6502a

Windows 7 does the job well enough for me. I don't need to upgrade to 8, and I don't like the new desktop with those huge tiles.

I spend 95% of my time in Mac OS, the rest in Windows. I only use Windows for the must-have apps I can't do without.

21. malman89 macrumors 68000

Definitely more excited for Windows 8 compared to Lion (which I had to use at work for a bit) or Mountain Lion (ignored).

Windows 7 Pro is just such a great OS that I'm weary of the change - for a traditional desktop or laptop. I'm incredibly excited for the Surface or products like the Lenovo IdeaPad Yoga.

22. OnceYouGoMac macrumors 6502

LOL :D I prefer to call it Windows Duplo or My First Operating System as that's what it really looks like :p

23. BornAgainMac macrumors 603

BornAgainMac

Excited and bought Win 8 on launch thinking it will just be a learning curve. Switched back to 7. Didn't like that USB would work only part of the time. Disk I/O was about the 1/4 of the speed. Liked the App Store layout. IE was weird with the URL at the bottom. Could not find the search. Control Panel seemed crippled.

24. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

25. ericrwalker macrumors 68030

ericrwalker

I was exited for windows 7, because Vista was a flop.

I think this is a MS strategy. Release a crap OS, then come out with something better to fix that flopped OS.

So I can say I am excited to see what Windows 9 will bring.