Who else is getting the Galaxy SII

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by brodas, Oct 5, 2011.

1. brodas macrumors regular

So I sold my iPhone 4 last week and I'm using a blackberry right now, I don't like the 4s and I would like to get the galaxy SII I know many of you guys are gonna do the same. Now here's my question. I don't have an upgrade until February 2012 and I wanna buy a GSII from eBay so I don't to pay the 250 + what the phone is worth and renew my contract for 2 years. Plus this way if the next iPhone comes in June or later I'll be ready with an upgradable line. Now will my grandfathered data still work with an Android phone?

2. WeegieMac Guest

WeegieMac

The Samsung Galaxy SII is not the "God Phone" you lot on here seem to think it is. It's been out in the UK for ages, I've "played" with it extensively and while the screens brightness and rich colours are impressive, it's not got the high resolution and clarity in detail that the iPhone 4's display offers.

Thumbnails on websites and smaller text are often pixellated, best seen in the thumbnails on Engadget which look fully detailed on iPhone 4, but pixellated on the SII.

The hype some people give the SII is actually beyond that which the iPhone "5" was subjected to in the weeks building up to yesterday.

3. ripper998 macrumors regular

why are you asking on an iphone board? Goto a droid or Samsung board and ask there.

4. fastblack macrumors regular

3 hours talk time on a full charge vs 8 on the iphone, no thx.

5. r.j.s Moderator emeritus

r.j.s

3hrs? You have something to back that up?

http://www.engadget.com/2011/09/30/atandt-samsung-galaxy-s-ii-review/

6. The Game 161 macrumors G5

The Game 161

7. brodas thread starter macrumors regular

I know it's been out for months and I know it's not the God phone the Prime is

8. aohus, Oct 5, 2011
    Last edited: Oct 5, 2011

aohus macrumors 68000

hes referring to a typo that BGR made with their AT&T GSII LTE phone some days ago. it said 3 hrs talk time when thats not the case. its somewhere around 8+ hours iirc.

and the Galaxy S II isn't even the latest anymore. The Nexus Prime will be, coming late October.

[​IMG]

9. LapsangSouchong macrumors 65816

LapsangSouchong

Good lord no. I'm not going to switch platforms simply because the iPhone announcement didn't live up to the hype. In fact, I'm satisfied with what I have now.

10. WeegieMac, Oct 5, 2011

WeegieMac Guest

WeegieMac

I resent anything but Optimus being referred to as Prime ... even Rodimus,
    :p

Edit: my post was edited for calling Rodimus a *beep* ... clearly Hot Rod didn't ruin r.j.s's childhood when he got between Prime and Megatron and broke a 7 year old boys heart! :p

11. brodas thread starter macrumors regular

I have an IPad 2 and an iPod touch I'm not really leaving the platform I'm just really tired of the I4

12. gazzrenn macrumors 6502

gazzrenn

13. LapsangSouchong macrumors 65816

LapsangSouchong

Gotcha. No. I'm not "tired" of the IP4. And I don't want to use google, and I want to have my iphone/ipad/mac in sync. And I don't want to buy apps on Android to try to approximate what I'm happy with on the iPhone.

In fact, leaving when IOS5 is coming out, with the cloud etc? Seems kinda ill timed to me.

14. D4F Guest

D4F

15. Shockwave78 macrumors 65816

Shockwave78

After 4yrs of iphones I also am tired of it, all they had to do is increase the screen size and i would have bought it.

Although i may have even switched to a W7 phone if the iphone was upgraded with more real estate there just is not a good enough W7 out there for me right now.

I was all for the SG II until i heard about the Nexus Prime that will most likely be released next week. From everything i have heard about android is that the Nexus phones are "the phone" to have on android. Many still say the nexus 1 is the best android phone ever released.

So on that conclusion, i am pretty much dead set on finally giving android a full test with the Prime.

16. Spectrum Abuser macrumors 65816

Spectrum Abuser

The SGSII is not even HSPA+. Why get locked into two more years of 3G when LTE/HSPA+ is already becoming the normal?

EDIT: It actually does support HSPA+. The AT&T thumbnail picture in their smartphone list showed only '3G'.

17. LapsangSouchong macrumors 65816

LapsangSouchong

If they increased the screen size you wouldn't be tired of it?:confused:

18. brodas thread starter macrumors regular

No I'll try to find one on eBay or craiglist in the next month or two.

I think an upgrade to the look of the OS, new lock screen and the screen would help

19. iPadThai, Oct 5, 2011

iPadThai macrumors 6502a

NO way.

a few things on apple's ecosystem I will NEVER give up:

1) FaceTime
    2) Apps, MobileMe (soon to be iCloud) syncing and all that goodness
    3) iOS iMessages
    4) ATV2 compatibility (airplay)
    5) Accessories for iOS devices. NON-EXISTANT for everything else
    6) Apple iPhone 4(s) build quality, rentina resolution, and just a solid, excellent design phone.

Android does not do anything for me - there is NO APPEAL to the android (lack of) ecosystem. Sure they may have gigantic screens which can be fun but the size of the IP4(s) is just perfect for me. And not to mention, the plastic crap all the other phones are made from.

There are a ton of android users - but 99% of them get it for one specific reason: bang for buck (or so they think) - they want to change this and that and have a removable battery (which is so stupid because 98% of owners don't even bother swapping batteries), removable memory (same thing as the battery swapping case) - and main reason being because the price is cheap on contract. some buy without contract which is even dumber considering you pay $500+ for a plastic phone with low resale value vs an apple iP4(s).

Another issue with these phones is that there is a "new" one (which in reality is the same old shet repackaged) coming out every 3 months. That's great if you switch phones every 3 months.

I need a phone that is solid, looks great, feels great in the hands, and above all else works flawlessly which the iP4 has done since initial purchase in 2010. Backed by so many accessory makers and car manufacturers, it just makes sense to go with an iP4(s) for me because I have a very good ecosystem (apps, atv, airplay, etc).

I see a bucking trend with these android phone makers: it's exactly the same with PC hardware. They tend to push everything bigger. I don't get that mentality (probably a USA thing) - but bigger isn't always better. Unless you can compare the battery life to an iP4 (making that bigger screen last just as long) - without bulking up the phone. I see a lot these new phones with specs that just are ludicrous. There are hardly any worthwhile apps for the android system and with all that power, it's only fair to use benchmarks to rate your specs. Which in reality is really stupid. It's who has the bigger e-peen.

I don't care about the specs unless it has an effect on the usability and performance of the apps I use. Otherwise, it's just spec chasing and 90% of the bitching complainers are just spec whores. Stop for a moment and realize this new iP4S internals are actually very decent. Sure it's the same as an iPad 2 but the iPad 2 is the fastest hardware. Not to mention you have better optics and camera and the new voice assistance. I'm sure when people actually try out the new iP4S they will have second thoughts. I've actually tried out an SG2 - the screen is fantastic - but seriously, I can walk away and not want to trade in even my iP4. Not because I can't afford an SG2 - but because there is no incentive to give up my iP4 and go with an android phone.

20. deaston macrumors newbie

I'm the same. I'm in quite a quandry as I didn't want the iPhone 4 and so don't want the 4S, but my 3GS is barely working.

How does the Galaxy sync with a Mac (iCal, contacts etc.)? I'd be grateful for input from anyone who has experience of a Galaxy and a Mac.

21. Bigmacduck macrumors regular

Think Ecosystem, Battery Life and Software

Think Ecosystem, Battery Life and Software. Hardware is important, but only second priority.

22. JForestZ34 macrumors 6502a

Well neither is the iphone, but some people think it is.. He is still entitled to his opinion..

James

23. awadeee macrumors 68020

awadeee

While I'm not familiar with who has what in the USA, Bell and Virgin have an HSPA+ version (the original version) here in Canada. Rogers is soon getting an LTE version.

I was gonna sayyyyyyy... It supports it here! :D

24. Vegastouch macrumors 603

Vegastouch

Actually there is no mention of when the Nexus Prime will be coming out. The Oct 11th date is just its first unveiling but regardless, thats what im waiting for. Even if it isnt till the end of the year or early next year.

25. sentinelsx macrumors 68010

Question to OP : why not give upcoming WP7 a try if you are bored of the i4? They cover multiple screen sizes and offer the same stability and speed as iOS but lesser apps (but that depends if you are the app person or not).

I use an android and been thinking about prime but no matter how many times i try the android platform something doesn't feel right. I think it is the combination of plasticky hardware, bad battery life no matter what (i have swapped multiple kernels on all my androids and ill go insane if i have to for any more) and so on. I just stick with it for now because it offers bigger screens and i can load up media without having to connect to PC or if i do connect to PC, i can just drag and drop which i prefer. But icloud looks sort of tempting.

I am no fan of 800x480 btw. Even on a 4 inch screen that resolution makes me go insane as small text and images look like lego blocks. Hopefully the HD screens on prime and new androids will not cause extra battery drains :p