Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

TurboPGT!

Suspended
Sep 25, 2015
Beats X Pros > Airpods
  • Cheaper price
  • Better sounding
  • Longer practical battery life
  • Faster charge time
  • Charge while listening
  • In-line controls; No need for Siri
  • Don't have to carry a case when not in use
  • Can wear on neck when not in use
  • Low/negligible risk of falling or losing them
  • IMO better looking
Airpods > Beats X pros
  • Automatic pause
  • True wireless
  • Longer "pseudo" battery life with case.
Personal Preference
  • AirPods for no sound isolation
  • Beats X for sound isolation
Honestly unless you value wirelessness above all else and want to hear the environment, then I'd have a hard time saying that AirPods are better. I personally already have a pair of AirPods but I am definitely getting the Beats X as I see them to be a more versatile product
Well sure if you misrepresent the Pros as such, not hard to see it your way at all.

Let me fix that for you.

• Cheaper price - seriously? What, $5?
  • Better sounding - possibly, most likely even
  • Longer practical battery life - nope
  • Faster charge time - nope
  • Charge while listening - nope
  • In-line controls; No need for Siri - not a positive, apparently you enjoy the press and hold nonsense.
  • Don't have to carry a case when not in use - nope
  • Can wear on neck when not in use - true
  • Low/negligible risk of falling or losing them - directly related to user responsibility.
  • IMO better looking - irrelevant
So out of all your points, 2 are absolutely true, 6 are absolutely false, and 2 depend on user preference.

AcountUserGuy

macrumors newbie
Jan 4, 2017
I see you have a problem with reading comprehension, please read the previous arguments before making a fool of yourself on why I consider pros to be pros since what you've mentioned has been repeated ad nauseum.

• Cheaper price - this pro was addressed in the past 5 posts if you were able to read
  • Better sounding - CNN did a review and these were better sounding, so definitely not even. But nice speculation.
  • Longer practical battery life - Yes, this was also elaborated in the past 5 post if you were able to read.
  • Faster charge time - Yes. So you're straight up wrong. 5 minutes for 2 hours vs 15 for 3 hours. Do the math, but if your math skills are as good as your reading skills, you'd probably get the wrong answer anyways.
  • Charge while listening - This was speculation on my part due to certain bluetooth headphones being able to do both, however this was elaborated in the past 5 posts if you were able to read
  • In-line controls; No need for Siri - Unanimously a positive by among everyone exept the hardest apple fanboys. Go ahead and look at every single review ever and the thread on this forum about AirPod wishlists. Siri to control volume is NOT a pro no matter how much you want to ride Apples dong.
  • Don't have to carry a case when not in use - Yep, you can hang it around your neck. No case required. But the Airpods case was also elaborated in the past 5 posts if you were able to read.
  • Can wear on neck when not in use - true
  • Low/negligible risk of falling or losing them - Irregardless if it's user error its still a PRO. User error proof is still a pro so if you want to play semantics we can do that. This was also elaborated in the past 5 posts if you were able to read.
  • IMO better looking - That's why I said IN MY OPINION. Relevance is in the buyer. Which was also elaborated in the past 5 posts if you were able to read
So out of all my points, 7 are absolutely true, 1 is possibly false (Which was elaborated in the past 5 posts if you were able to read), and 2 depend on user preference. (Which was elaborated in the past 5 posts if you were able to read).

Honestly it sounds like you have a case of buyers remorse and you're trying to negate objective pros because you pulled the trigger too early. I have the AirPods and I also plan on getting the Beats X and using both for different occasions. At least I'm honest with the limitations with my experience of the AirPods.

Pros are pros no matter how negligible they sound to YOU, simply because the world doesn't revolve around YOU. I don't consider the AirPods leakage of environmental noise to be a pro but I understand that it is a pro for some people, hence why I put it on personal preference.

Last edited:

Rigby

macrumors 603
Aug 5, 2008
San Jose, CA
This is my mistake, certain bluetooth headsets allows you to connect to a power source while still listening. Not sure if the Beats X does too, but Ill concede on this point. AirPods for sure cannot since they must be in the case to charge.
I don't see why this wouldn't work. The charging cable connects to one of the "bumps in the wire" on the BeatsX, which should be possible while wearing them.

And before anyone says "you don't need that": yes, I do. I fly from the west coast to Europe several times a year. Those flights typically include a leg of ~10-11 hours, and I usually wear earphones almost for the entire flight (either because I'm listening to an audiobook or watching a movie on my iPad, or I just use them as earplugs to block out the engine noise).

BTW, on a recent United flight I saw one of the stupidest iOS apps ever. On some flights they now have the option to stream movies from a server on the plane over the on-board Wifi to iPhones and iPads using the United app. But the app will only play the movies when it detects that *wired* earphones are plugged into the devices, probably as a misguided attempt to protect other passengers from noise (as if anyone would actually use the speakers on a noisy plane :rolleyes:). As a result, you can't use this feature with Bluetooth earphones ...

Last edited:
Reactions: boston04and07

AcountUserGuy

macrumors newbie
Jan 4, 2017
I don't see why this wouldn't work. The charging cable connects to one of the "bumps in the wire" on the BeatsX, which should be possible while wearing them.

And before anyone says "you don't need that": yes, I do. I fly from the west coast to Europe several times a year. Those flights typically include a leg of ~10-11 hours, and I usually wear earphones almost for the entire flight (either because I'm listening to an audiobook or watching a movie on my iPad, or I just use them as earplugs to block out the engine noise).

Exactly. What a lot of people replying aren't getting is that a pro is still a pro even if they specifically don't use it themselves. Additional features are always a pro. Just because you don't use it doesn't mean everyone else won't.

tsevince

macrumors regular
May 19, 2015
Hm. I was actually thinking that the PowerBeats and BeatsX seem very similar, and wondering why Apple kept both products in their lineup.

The hook design on the PowerBeats are very specific to active usage. Although they have the same cord design, I'd be surprised if the BeatsX stayed in my ear any better than the AirPods (I have a larger right ear hole that no EarPods or AirPods will fit).

AcountUserGuy

macrumors newbie
Jan 4, 2017
The hook design on the PowerBeats are very specific to active usage. Although they have the same cord design, I'd be surprised if the BeatsX stayed in my ear any better than the AirPods (I have a larger right ear hole that no EarPods or AirPods will fit).

PowerBeats may possibly sound better then the BeatsX too just because it seems like there may be more room for drivers. However the Beats X do come with the removable "fins" so maybe that may help?

tsevince

macrumors regular
May 19, 2015
PowerBeats may possibly sound better then the BeatsX too just because it seems like there may be more room for drivers. However the Beats X do come with the removable "fins" so maybe that may help?

Ou I wasn't aware of the fins!

Probably but for me, the freedom of no wires whatsoever is and has been exactly what I've been looking for, it's so much more freeing for day to day usage.

The wire I don't mind as much at the gym, my main priority is that they stay in my ear when I'm moving around and the PowerBeats (as well as model 2) do that perfectly for me.

Mw0103

macrumors 6502
Feb 22, 2014
Beats X Pros > Airpods
  • Cheaper price
  • Better sounding
  • Faster charge time
  • In-line controls; No need for Siri
  • Can wear on neck when not in use
  • Low/negligible risk of falling or losing them (And for the anal, low user error rates)
  • Charge while listening (speculation on my part from other bluetooth headsets)
Airpods > Beats X pros
  • Automatic pause
  • True wireless
Personal Preference
  • AirPods for no sound isolation
  • Beats X for sound isolation
  • Beats X Longer continuous battery life
  • AirPods Longer "pseudo" battery life with case.
  • Beats X: Don't have to carry a case when not in use
  • AirPods: Technically don't have to carry case but this negates the battery life pro.
  • AirPods: Can charge and listen to one earbud. Note that you can still do this with the Beats X but it may or may not be able to charge at the same time.
  • Beats X IMO better looking
Honestly unless you value wirelessness above all else and want to hear the environment, then I'd have a hard time saying that AirPods are better. I personally already have a pair of AirPods but I am definitely getting the Beats X as I see them to be a more versatile product

Edit: To clarify for saltiness

You keep saying your pros are objective, which may be true, but there are additional objective points you ignored. I think this is why you are getting pushback.

For AirPods, I would add the following pros:

• lighter weight
  • one-ear use does not require the unused bud to dangle on a wire pulling the in-use bud out of the ear
  • quicker, hassle-free storage (no winding a wire/stuffing wire in a case/untangling)
  • charge without hunting for an outlet (and without the need for a third-party battery accessory)
I would also add one-ear listening to the AirPods pros because listening with one ear sends both sides of the stereo signal to the in-use bud. With anything else lacking a proximity sensor (BeatsX included) one-ear listening will result in only half of the stereo sound.

In the end, there is no better choice between the two. It comes down to what each individual buyer values most out of the respective pros and cons for each of the products.

AcountUserGuy

macrumors newbie
Jan 4, 2017
You keep saying your pros are objective, which may be true, but there are additional objective points you ignored. I think this is why you are getting pushback.

For AirPods, I would add the following pros:

• lighter weight
  • one-ear use does not require the unused bud to dangle on a wire pulling the in-use bud out of the ear
  • quicker, hassle-free storage (no winding a wire/stuffing wire in a case/untangling)
  • charge without hunting for an outlet (and without the need for a third-party battery accessory)
I would also add one-ear listening to the AirPods pros because listening with one ear sends both sides of the stereo signal to the in-use bud. With anything else lacking a proximity sensor (BeatsX included) one-ear listening will result in only half of the stereo sound.

In the end, there is no better choice between the two. It comes down to what each individual buyer values most out of the respective pros and cons for each of the products.

And I completely agree with that, those are definitely pros and I will be sure to include them the next time I post a pros/cons list, but as I mentioned in my previous post I havn't listed out every possible pro because they arn't immediately apparent to me personally and its impossible for me to know every possible pros and cons ever.
  • Lighter weight - Agreed, this is definitely a pro

• One-ear use does not require the unused bud to dangle on a wire pulling the in-use bud out of the ear - Agreed, I would put this in the personal preferences however since it does require the carrying of a case. Please check the edited post.

• Quicker, hassle-free storage (no winding a wire/stuffing wire in a case/untangling) - Agreed, but also requires the case as mentioned. This would also fall under personal preference since if you're use to wearing a necklace you wouldn't need to tangle it anyways. I believe I still included this in the original Pros list since it falls under "true wireless"

• Charge without hunting for an outlet (and without the need for a third-party battery accessory) - This pro was already mentioned in the original post, but I posted it under personal preference since the trade-off was either to carry the case on your person or having less battery life.
There are definitely concrete pros and cons of both however. But yes I do agree that it comes down to what individual buyers value.

Last edited:

Eric5273

macrumors 6502a
Apr 12, 2009
New Jersey
This seems to must be a personal preference as to whether you prefer the wire or not, and whether you prefer the hook that goes around your ear or not. The ear pods that came with my iPhone 7 work fine with my ears, so I'm sure the air pods would also be fine. However, for me I would actually prefer the wire, so I'm leaning towards the Beats X.

I like the idea that I can take them off and the two ear pieces will attach via a magnet, so they will stay around my neck when not using them. I also like that they charge via a lightning cable, where as the Powerbeats use a micro-usb cable.

As for sound quality, from the reviews I have read, it seems that the Powerbeats are slightly better than the Air pods. I'm guessing the Beats X will be somewhere in the middle.

knux11

macrumors regular
Apr 22, 2008
Most of the pros/cons are ENTIRELY personal preference, so no point in arguing those.

The objective ones are price and quick charging time.

Whether the differences in those two are negligible enough to matter or not to a particular person is personal preference, but the fact that the beatsx has the airpods beat in those two categories isn't even debatable. It's fact.

I just want someone to get them already so I can have an idea when I can get mine.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.