Who else is not impressed with the bumper?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by nlkccom, Jul 26, 2010.

1. nlkccom macrumors 6502a

Just received my free white bumper from apple. Put it on, while being very careful not to mess up the IS already on my phone. My first impression is the bumper made the edge of the phone more slippery. Within 10 minutes after I put the bumper on, I almost dropped my phone because of the slippery bumper. Happened again soon after that. Luckily this is free from apple. Now off goes the bumper and back to just IS.

2. esadb macrumors 65816

esadb

3. nenarek macrumors newbie

My problem with the bumper is that it has scuffed the metal band on the phone itself. I cleaned the phone with a microfiber cloth before putting the bumper on and a few days later I took it off again and I found two small scuff marks on the band that weren't there before.

4. redbotsoftware macrumors regular

I don't think I'll use the bumper either. Got it cuz it's free. But no one will buy it from you either, cuz everyones got one.

5. iphone1105 macrumors 68020

iphone1105

How did something made of plastic, scuff steel? Care to share some pics, I'd love to see it.....

6. iHeartapple2 macrumors 6502

iHeartapple2

First of all how did you get your free bumper so fast when Apple just launched the program on Friday??? Next if you indeed did get a free bumper already it must not be the same one that they were selling in the stores at launch day because I am not having any slippery issue with mine. If anything it makes it easier to grip the phone. My only complaint with the bumper is that the headphone jack and connector openings need to be wider so all the different accessories will fit without having to remove the bumper.

7. UCLAKoolman macrumors 6502a

I think the bumper looks and feels great. Using it with invisible shield full protection.

8. jp70 macrumors member

Pre-Ordered mine

I'm on the fence about it. The mute button is difficult to access. I do like the exposed back to and the fact it keeps it raised off the surface on either side. Pretty good coverage around the edges. Although 3rd party charging cables don't always fit.

9. iggypod macrumors 6502a

iggypod

I really wanted to love the bumper. I dig the looks and I actually do like the grip of it.

But it just doesn't work with my previous accessories needing the connector. I REALLY wish it did.

After a little dremel action all is well again, but STILL.

10. SophiaLee macrumors 6502a

SophiaLee

11. ZacUSNYR macrumors regular

I have some scuffing around the silence switch - it's because the case moves on the phone. They should have designed it some kind of rubber coating on the inside instead of plastic IMO.

12. whocaresit macrumors 6502a

I'm not. The bumper degrades the visual superiority of the iP4

13. AbSoluTc macrumors 68040

AbSoluTc

The bumper is crap. I was not fond of the two tone and it just look/felt really cheap. It made the iPhone 4 look like past models. Why even bother? :confused:

So, I bought a $2.00 clear film for the back (best money I ever spent) and stuck it on. It's the same exact thing as the Power Support Crystal films but way cheaper. You can't even see it's there. I love it. Screen and everything else is nekkid! :D

14. SAD*FACED*CLOWN macrumors 65816

SAD*FACED*CLOWN

you sir have just earned two scooby snacks for that bit of detective work....

15. SAD*FACED*CLOWN macrumors 65816

SAD*FACED*CLOWN

I don't think it's possible for plastic to scratch steel...more than likely some dust or debris got trapped in between the bumber and the phone while you had it in a pocket

16. bobright macrumors 601

I hate it. I am waiting for my Speck fitted and off goes the Bumper.

My Onkyo dock doesn't fit it. My Aux connecter on my car doesn't fit it. To hell with it only reason it's on is for drop protection right now.

17. darngooddesign macrumors G3

Dirt and abrasive particles can get caught between the bumper and the phone and with the slight amount of play in the bumper's fit these can scratch the metal band. Or were you just trying to be clever with a "pics or it didn't happen" response?

18. zoman504 macrumors regular

Didn't all recent bumper orders get refunded? Therefore, he could've placed an order before they were pulled from the online store.

19. iphone1105 macrumors 68020

iphone1105

Perhaps he called support prior to these announcements and the support operator gave him one, maybe thats how he got it? My friend was offered a free bumper from a service rep when antennagate first started...

20. Block macrumors 6502a

Block

It's free. You don't have to use it if you don't want to :p

21. calb macrumors 6502

Antenna.

22. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

That would be the only way it could have happened.

23. Block macrumors 6502a

Block

He could have purchased it prior to the announcement, and thus was refunded for it before it shipped.

24. SophiaLee macrumors 6502a

SophiaLee

Well, I didn't know how he got it. That's why I asked.

25. ARH1956 macrumors 6502

I think you are on to something with debris causing the scratch, and is the iPhone 4 stainless steel, or aluminum?