Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

viachicago22

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 20, 2013
I think I may be at least a little crazy but I'm shelling out $900 (after tax) for a 64gb 6+ but I'm justifying it by the fact that I can
  • sell my 5s for $400
  • sell the 6+ in a year for $600,
  • use my upgrade to buy the 6s+ for $400
In the end this all ends up with me paying a total of $300 out of pocket. So, really, I'm spending the same as an upgrade, just paying more up front. Still, it was hard pulling the trigger on the $900 up front!:eek::eek::eek: (My order status is processing, ordered on 09/24).

muggerfugger

macrumors regular
Sep 28, 2014
Kansas, USA
I always prefer buying my phone outright, and use prepaid service, rather than an expensive contract that'll be way more money over the course of two years..

Last year feb 2013 i paid $800 cash for my unlocked iPhone 5.

But this year i did it different. I used the Apple Financing (why not? always good to build credit), and i have the year to pay off the phone, which totals $2.80 a day. Waste more than that a day on garbage.
Most likely will have it paid off within a few months though.

so, i really won't even feel this purchase.

i always give my old phones to family. Or keep them around.

Hal~9000

macrumors 68020
Sep 13, 2014
I've thought about doing it before but the only way I would is if I went with a cheaper prepaid plan to offset the upfront cost:

$700 = phone + tax
$35/mo x 24 months = cricket wireless unlim talk/text & 1gb
---------
$1540 total for 2 years (an average of $64 per month over 24 months)

M5RahuL

macrumors 68040
Aug 1, 2009
TeXaS
Got mine from TMobile @ 0% [ 24 mos ] with $99 down. I usually pay off my devices with Tmobile within 8 - 11 months.

So, I don't have to pony up everything up front, get the benefit of 0%, and pay up way before the term. :)

Rukiri

macrumors member
Sep 23, 2014
With my iPhone 6+ upgrade, other than the phone I never signed a contract. With my Note 3 I was out of contract, I'll be paying off my balance in a month or so anyway.

If you bring your own device you don't need to sign a 2 year contract, I never did so there is no termination fee. Now if I cancel and have a balance on my 6+ than yes the only balance I pay is for the phone not the service. But as I said I'm paying off before I probably even have the damn device or saved enough for it. So in the end I win:cool:

dmk1974

macrumors 68020
Sep 16, 2008
This is my first time paying full retail because we switched from AT&T to T-Mobile in March. I knew I'd have to and over 24 months T-Mo is still cheaper. I like though that I don't have to upgrade. I still like my 5s which is perfectly fine and I sometimes wonder if I should wait a year for the 6 to drop to ~1/2 price and buy it then. I also have a retina iPad Mini.

But I'll likely just pay the ~$400-$500 net difference and get the 6 or 6 Plus :)

Nermal

Staff member
Dec 7, 2002
New Zealand
I paid full retail because the cheapest subsidised plan with Spark (NZ) is $49/month, whereas Skinny is only $16/month and does everything I need. After looking at the value of the subsidy I calculated that it's cheaper in the long run to buy it upfront now and use it with Skinny.

None of the other operators have coverage at my place (the downside of living behind a hill).

vi2867

macrumors 6502
Oct 11, 2006
Eastvale, CA
I am paying full price because I no longer want to be under contract. I want the flexibility of moving carrier if they do not treat me right.:D

cypressc

macrumors regular
Sep 30, 2014
Austin, TX
If you don't pay full retail, you are just making up your savings by paying a higher monthly rate than if you came at the same plan with a paid-for phone. AT&T's Next plan is basically buying the phone at full retail, as the monthly cost added to your bill is merely the full retail price divided by 20 (or 24 depending on plan). You always pay for the phone, it is just a question of upfront or over time.

KingArthurVI

macrumors regular
Dec 17, 2011
Penang, Malaysia
I'm a grad student so its hard for me to pay full retail too (don't have that kinda cash handy most of the time), but it isn't hard to see that buying on-contract is more expensive than paying the full price upfront. :rolleyes: I'm on T-Mobile's $30/month prepaid with 5GB LTE, 500 mins and unlimited text.

thadoggfather

macrumors P6
Oct 1, 2007
I am paying full price because I no longer want to be under contract. I want the flexibility of moving carrier if they do not treat me right.:D

But if you pay an etf than you are free and it's same price of I subsidized in the end. Especially if you plan on staying put

CEmajr

macrumors 601
Dec 18, 2012
Charlotte, NC
I think I may be at least a little crazy but I'm shelling out $900 (after tax) for a 64gb 6+ but I'm justifying it by the fact that I can
  • sell my 5s for $400
  • sell the 6+ in a year for $600,
  • use my upgrade to buy the 6s+ for $400
In the end this all ends up with me paying a total of $300 out of pocket. So, really, I'm spending the same as an upgrade, just paying more up front. Still, it was hard pulling the trigger on the $900 up front!:eek::eek::eek: (My order status is processing, ordered on 09/24).

All good except you're not likely to be able to sell your 6+ a year from now for $600. Probably more like $450-500.

highlightshadow

macrumors regular
Oct 11, 2012
I do this every year .... i work it out based on network published prices vs how much of a ridiculous cheap contract i can get by going Sim-only

At least in the UK ... Sim-only deals are getting really silly ...
I'm on unlimited minutes, unlimited SMS and 9GB data-cap at £13.99 ($22) for 6 months and then £23.99 ($45)

It worked out pretty even though to be honest on an iPhone 6+ to buy subsidised but the 6 was crazy cheaper to buy outright and go sim-only.

Its painful paying out £1250 on day 1 for 2x iPhone6's (wife & me) but over the course of 12/24 months it never fails to
1. work out cheaper
2. allow flexibility of being 'sim-free' able to roam on local sims (important for my wife)
3. Getting better resale values at the end of the term (i know most phones can be unlocked at the end but dealing with networks.... ewww)

Frankied22

macrumors 68000
Nov 24, 2010
I'm a grad student so its hard for me to pay full retail too (don't have that kinda cash handy most of the time), but it isn't hard to see that buying on-contract is more expensive than paying the full price upfront. :rolleyes: I'm on T-Mobile's $30/month prepaid with 5GB LTE, 500 mins and unlimited text.

500 mins? Isn't it 100 mins?

evilrt

macrumors regular
Oct 7, 2011
New Jersey USA
Full retail every year for the past 4 years. After selling my device on eBay, I end up spending $200-$250 out of pocket for a new device every cycle with no contract and retain UD on Verizon. BUT this has to be done every year or the phone loses some value. It's a game.

Ergates-thi-Ant

macrumors 6502
Sep 9, 2013
My iPhone 4 (first iPhone for me) I bought on contract here in London, UK. My 5S I bought outright, and same for my 6 plus.

accountforit

macrumors 6502a
Jan 22, 2014
If you want a true evaluation of what you are paying, you need to also consider the time value of money. How much can be made from investing the funds being expended for the new phone over the course of the next year?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.