Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

kmj2318

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Aug 22, 2007
Naples, FL
My return date is approaching and I can't decide if this is the phone I want. I've got the Space Grey and thinking I should return for one of the others. Was anybody else in the same situation? If so, what did you do and how did you decide?

I like how the Space Grey has a seamless front; how everything is hidden, but I also wonder if it's a little boring. Plus the back looks sort of dingy, would have preferred it to be even darker, or just straight silver. The white phones have their own drawbacks, such as having the black screen and earpiece showing against the white, but I think the brighter finishes are nicer. Also, in the Apple Store, the white ones looked kind of to toyish how the light bends on the rounded edge. Argh, this makes me so indecisive.

davedvdy

macrumors 6502a
Oct 25, 2011
I like how the Space Grey has a seamless front; how everything is hidden, but I also wonder if it's a little boring.

Space Grey only here, unless there ever are other options with a black front.

Black is the best front for viewing content, and if it weren't, you would see more white TV's.
A black frame blends OR makes the colors on the screen "pop" more.

Defender2010

Cancelled
Jun 6, 2010
My return date is approaching and I can't decide if this is the phone I want. I've got the Space Grey and thinking I should return for one of the others. Was anybody else in the same situation? If so, what did you do and how did you decide?

I like how the Space Grey has a seamless front; how everything is hidden, but I also wonder if it's a little boring. Plus the back looks sort of dingy, would have preferred it to be even darker, or just straight silver. The white phones have their own drawbacks, such as having the black screen and earpiece showing against the white, but I think the brighter finishes are nicer. Also, in the Apple Store, the white ones looked kind of to toyish how the light bends on the rounded edge. Argh, this makes me so indecisive.

I've had all three! Had the space grey, changed to gold and then again to silver. Should have gotten silver to start with as all my previous ones have been white and silber since iPhone 4.

Eileen89

macrumors 65816
Aug 12, 2014
I returned my original Space gray 6 that I got on launch day for a Verizon Silver 6 that I purchased on eBay. I like the Silver one much better.

Supermallet

macrumors 68000
Sep 19, 2014
Switched from space grey to gold. I like the contrast between the screen and the bezels, and also like how I don't see fingerprints and smudges on the bezels as well. It feels more framed with white.

bunnicula

macrumors 68040
Jul 23, 2008
I'm a white/silver girl, but I tried a couple of gold this year. Both had worse battery life than the silver I had. So...silver it is.

I bought a gold iPad air 2 instead. ;)

Shadowbech

macrumors G3
Oct 18, 2011
I first started with Gold 6 Plus, which was an okay color. Only reason why I didn't like it was because the ones I had had some cosmetic defects (i.e paint on underneath the glass had some defect). I then tried the silver. I honestly didn't like the silver back, and plus the home button was loose. Then I returned it and got a Space Gray. So far I love the space gray model.

JayLenochiniMac

macrumors G5
Nov 7, 2007
New Sanfrakota
I then tried the silver. I honestly didn't like the silver back, and plus the home button was loose. Then I returned it and got a Space Gray. So far I love the space gray model.

Silver and this year's Space Gray are so similar in color that I find it funny you didn't like the silver back. The real difference is the black vs. white front.

furbzv1

macrumors 68000
Sep 17, 2014
Had the silver for a month and now have the gold.. The front is the same except for the gold on the Touch ID .. It's in a case so color was not very important to me

jwlbel

macrumors 6502a
Oct 29, 2012
The night they went on pre-sale the only color that was available was the space gray. I really wanted a white one (didn't care if it was gold or silver) Since the 6 plus was so hard to get a hold of, I didn't think I would have much luck trying to swap it out. One night I checked Craigslist and saw someone posted a listing they wanted to trade a gold one for a space gray one. (all the same spec's) So first we met at the Apple store so I could add AppleCare to his and refund the Apple Care off of mine, since he did not buy AC+. Then we went over to AT&T so we could swap the serial numbers and IMEI numbers on our accounts so neither of us could report it lost or stolen at a later date. Worked out well for both of us. He would have been fine just meeting up and swapping the phones but I insisted on going to AT&T for them to change the serial numbers on our accounts. He was fine with it once I said that is the only way I would agree with the trade.

Damolee

macrumors 6502a
Nov 20, 2012
Not sure it really matters does it?

With the 5 there was a functional purpose to avoid slate black and that was the scratching of the bezel.

Why people exchange phones because of colour is beyond me. Next one could have a problem such as poor battery life.

Gryfter

macrumors 6502
Apr 15, 2011
Brooklyn, NY
I did, twice...

first was because I got stuck with a Gold on launch day... after waiting 4 hours, I wasnt gonna go home empty handed... before my 14 days hit, I returned it and got a Silver, thinking I'd be fine with it and Space Grays were hard to come by in NYC... after 10 days, I returned that for the Space Gray that I have now...

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
There's really not much color selection to choose from. White or black front, silver, gold or gray for the back. I miss the choices that I had for my iPhone 5c.

Funny thing is, while I miss my 5c in some ways (yes I love my IP6+), saw one at Target yesterday, the thing looked tiny compared to my IP6+

Shadowbech

macrumors G3
Oct 18, 2011
Silver and this year's Space Gray are so similar in color that I find it funny you didn't like the silver back. The real difference is the black vs. white front.

Um.. I disagree on that. I've looked at both Silver and the Space Gray and they aren't similar. The silver color is much more plain and different tone and doesn't look the same silver on my ipad IMO and I like the the darker tone to the space gray model.

AlexxRyzhkov

macrumors regular
May 17, 2014
Had a black iPhone 5, Gold 5S, and now have a Gold 6.
Honestly I only got the Gold 6 because that was the only color in stock. Kinda wish I waited and got the Space Gray

rodetrip

macrumors regular
Feb 21, 2014
i have the 6 gold. heres my story:

Ive always loved the gold, and i originally wanted the 6 gold. a week or two after launch, my whole town's iphone supply was very scarse. finally i went to a best buy nearby, they had a space gray in stock, so i decided to just go for the space gray. tried it for a few days and decided that i wasnt completely happy. i was just like you, debating and unhappy. i was having doubts, and i tried to make myself happier with the space gray, but it wasnt working. so i returned it for the gold. i am finally 100% happy. i just like the white/gold way better. the black seems to get dirtier imo, u can definitely see the dusts and dirt in the ear speaker and around the home button ring on the space gray alot more than the white.

if you are not completely happy with the gray. exchange it for a different color! :)

nateo200

macrumors 68030
Feb 4, 2009
Upstate NY
There is another thread on here with a guy who bought an aftermarket silver ring for his home button and his TouchID works perfect and it looks great for those interested...I love my Space Grey iPhone 6...sometimes I miss the Slate Black iPhone 5 color though, I'm sure they could have reformulated the paint to make it more scratch proof but that would've been harder...either way Space Grey looks great. I think it looks classier too. I was at a big political event and I saw a TON of politicians, chiefs of staff, campaign managers, etc. with the new iPhone, I saw this one guy in an all black suit but he had a naked iPhone 6 plus in gold.....even though he was supposed to be "important" I honestly couldn't take him serious because his phone just stood out...the Space Grey still says iPhone but its more "business" like....only time I could see the gold working out nicely is if you wore casual clothes or if you were a women and had the clothes to match it and look classy.....sounds typical but just thought I'd put that out there...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.