Who got an Apple Watch for Christmas?

Discussion in 'Apple Watch' started by ipedro, Dec 26, 2016.

1. ipedro macrumors 68040

ipedro

I have that feeling I had the Christmas after the iPhone 3GS came out that suddenly, I wasn't the only person I knew who had an iPhone.

If my network is anything to go by, I'm seeing dozens of friends on Facebook, Instagram and Twitter posting their brand new Apple Watches that they received for Christmas.

Are we reaching critical mass where just enough people now have an AppleWatch that they begin to be seen everywhere and that influences more people to get one and the whole thing snowballs?

Is anybody else seeing the same with their friends?

2. RipsMctits macrumors regular

I got one. I'm sure a lot of people did. I was waiting for something better than first gen before I was even interested. I got my dad one for his birthday in October, and he surprised me with one for Christmas.

3. Fozziebear71 macrumors 6502

Fozziebear71

I've talked to numerous people who attempted to purchase an Apple Watch for Christmas (my wife and I included) that weren't able to locate the one they wanted or wanted to gift that was available to purchase.

I am literally dumbfounded when I read articles that talk about the decline in watch sales. The only people that are buying watches now are people that are willing to wait months to get one. Apple is completely missing a whole segment of potential buyers that would purchase one if they were able to walk in a store, play with one and see what it can do, and impulse buy one on the spot.

I bought a new dishwashing machine and some SONOS speakers with the money that I had intended to buy two Apple watches and AirPods with.

4. andeify macrumors 6502

andeify

I ordered a Nike one with my crimbo money, comes tomorrow. I did see that they were becoming out of stock the run up to xmas but certain ones stayed available (most series 1's and the Nike ones) bought mine from Currys

5. ipedro thread starter macrumors 68040

ipedro

You must not remember how difficult it was to buy an iPhone 3GS. People waited for months to get their hands on one. The situation only really got better around iPhone 5. I was able to walk into a store and buy one and I was a little shocked.

Not being able to produce enough is a good problem to have. It means there's a high demand — far from the "failure" that some critics will have you believe it is. Yes, there are missed opportunities but I'm sure they're producing them as fast as they can. Eventually, they'll learn how to produce even more of them and looking back, the quantities and yield rates they make now will look like child's play.

The fact that they're hard to find for the holidays fits with the narrative I pointed out in the original post. I'm starting to see them everywhere and suddenly, many people I know wants one. We're a generation away from reaching critical mass. 2017 is going to be a great year for Apple Watch.

6. bevsb2 macrumors 65816

Agree that Apple missed an opportunity for >holiday sales and if people have to wait too long, they may just wait for the next generation.

7. jess222 macrumors 6502

jess222

I got a new series 2 to replace my series 0. I got mine from b&h. Only took about a week after I ordered it for them to get stock. I'm really happy with it, better screen, battery, and waterproof! Definitely worth it :)

8. dvnxlc macrumors member

dvnxlc

I received a 42mm Nike Black/Volt for Christmas. Great upgrade from my 38mm Series 0, had it since launch. Can't wait to go on a run later with it!

9. iObama macrumors 6502

iObama

I did! Got a 42mm Gold Sport Series 1 with Cocoa band. Definitely the steepest learning curve I've ever had for an Apple product, but I'm so stoked I got one!

Merry Christmas & Happy Holidays, everyone!

10. Dodgeman macrumors 6502

I opened a Nike one with gray band. Just looked at and tried it on and returned it. I'm sure someone got a nice open box model!
    I kept my stainless black!

11. 3lionsbecks Suspended

3lionsbecks

Is your stainless black a s2 Apple Watch? If so why did you even get the Nike Watch? You could have compared them easily in store

12. Relentless Power macrumors P6

Relentless Power

Reaching a critical mass point? No. Do you have any idea how difficult it was to get a Gen one Apple Watch when it launched it April 2015? Try August for fulfilling some orders, with certain bands not even available until September, almost four months after the launch.

And the theory which isn't acceptable is the claim "In my city, I never see the Apple Watch worn or none of my friends have an Apple Watch." It really depends on where you see the Apple Watch. Where I live (Heavily populated) the Apple Watch is everywhere. I see at least ten plus individuals wearing the Apple Watch daily.

And with the market share of the Apple Watch and Fitbit, what else is their? The iPhone is a huge contribution to the Apple Watch, being it naturally makes sense what someone would purchase if they were interested in wearable technology. And in general, wearable technology as a whole is growing with fitness and notifications being primarily predominant based.

13. Sunny1990 Suspended

Sunny1990

First world problem.who the hell cares. @Relentless Power apple watch is faliour /flop /gimmick in many countries

14. bob24, Dec 26, 2016
    Last edited: Dec 26, 2016

bob24 macrumors 6502

This must very much vary by country. I was in Paris last week and didn't see that many. And where I live (Dublin) they are definitely uncommon. In the office (a few hundred people) I see Fitbit bands everywhere and only one guy seems to have an Apple Watch (whereas on the other hand there are more iPhones - personal or company issued - than Android phones in the building).

15. Relentless Power, Dec 26, 2016
    Last edited: Dec 28, 2016

Relentless Power macrumors P6

Relentless Power

I can't speak for other Countries. But interesting to know your demographic and where you have seen the Apple Watch throughout.

16. jshtroutman macrumors regular

jshtroutman

I got a series 1 at Target on Black Friday. Ive been eyeing the Apple Watch since it came out but wasn't willing to shell out the cash for one just yet. I'm really liking my Watch so far.

17. Ffosse, Dec 27, 2016
    Last edited: Dec 27, 2016

Ffosse macrumors 6502a

I see plenty of Apple Watches here in Scotland, heavily populated city - probably more than any other watch type but not compared with devices like Fitbit and other activity trackers. I think a lot of people got on board when the S0 was reduced to £199.

I myself bought a discounted S0 but soon upgraded to a S2 because I wanted the GPS and extra battery life.

18. Dodgeman macrumors 6502

Who ever said I went to an Apple Store?
    Where I went they didn't have any S2s to try on only the older version. I wasn't sure if I wanted to stick with a SG Sport and the new band or the SB Second Gen. By having both it helped me make up my mind.

19. macdragonfl macrumors 6502

macdragonfl

In my area they have been common for quite a while. But after the new ones were released I see even more. The sales numbers from last quarter fall in line with most Apple products right before a new gen is released. I do feel also that watch sales will be more in line with normal watch sales having peaks at Christmas and Valentines day and Easter holidays. I was at a function where 8 people attended and 4 had them, the others were asking a lot of questions and 3 said they planned to buy for the holiday.

20. 3lionsbecks, Dec 27, 2016
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 28, 2016

3lionsbecks Suspended

3lionsbecks

Actually, no one said you went to an Apple Store. I said you could compare them at an Apple Store and not waste everyone's time and resources.

21. verdejt macrumors member

My wife got me the Nike+ in black and volt. She ordered it 12/4 and it was delivered 12/16. I gave my Fitbit Blaze to my son.

22. erasr macrumors 6502

Guys, I got a series 0 as an unexpected gift and... I love it. Totally love it. But there's a back story...

I once bought a series 0 around a year ago and took it back after a few days. Couldn't justify the £400.

Since then s1 and 2 have been released and I was very tempted to buy one.

Getting a 0 as a gift was a shock. I didn't even pay much attention to which model it was. I just started using it.

3 days later and I'm going to bed after heavy use with 50%+ battery and loving it.

There's not many apps I need or can imagine using. Just love quickly reading texts and what's app. Even calling is convenient. It's all snappy as I use these features only. What more do I need to open?! I know it takes a couple more seconds with this model.

Apple Watch is truly brilliant. I can't because I wasn't 'bought' into it previously. So damn convenient!

23. Chris Coyle macrumors member

24. concernedone macrumors regular

concernedone

I got the S1 from Target. I have not received it yet but this will be my first AW / smart watch. I was curious about the funcationality of having an AW but I think it'll be useful for me. Hopefully, the battery isn't too bad.

25. Relentless Power macrumors P6

Relentless Power

Battery life is rated at 18 hours. You can increase the battery life by reducing the screen brightness, reducing the haptic feedback, disabling Hey Siri and heart rate monitor. Enjoy the Watch.