Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jvette

macrumors 6502
Dec 29, 2007
Remember that updates to the operating system can be as large as 5gb at times and to get the update you may have to delete some apps and then re-install them after the update. I understand cloud services holding most of the data and information but in 2014 I would have thought the lowest Iphone would have been 32gb but then they couldn't have kept it in the lower price point.

Sparkeze

macrumors 6502a
Sep 18, 2014
Indiana
I have 61 apps, 240 songs and about 100 photos, and it leaves about 4.5gb. I have 2 kids that I take a ton of pictures of and I like to move them to iPhoto so I can organize them. I don't really watch any movies or shows on my phone but I do watch sports on Watchespn or BTN to go and those stream.

I guess if you're the type who doesn't want/need a ton of apps and you have a computer to transfer photos and videos to, you would be fine with 16gb. If not, then you'd probably kick yourself for not getting more memory.

Laryl

macrumors 6502a
Sep 26, 2014
AZ
I have 61 apps, 240 songs and about 100 photos, and it leaves about 4.5gb. I have 2 kids that I take a ton of pictures of and I like to move them to iPhoto so I can organize them. I don't really watch any movies or shows on my phone but I do watch sports on Watchespn or BTN to go and those stream.

I guess if you're the type who doesn't want/need a ton of apps and you have a computer to transfer photos and videos to, you would be fine with 16gb. If not, then you'd probably kick yourself for not getting more memory.

Thank you for the info.. it seems contrary to what others are saying if you have that much and still have 4.5 left. hmmm

TRC-WA

macrumors regular
Sep 26, 2014
I wouldn't be caught dead with a 16GB iPhone of any kind.

Even 32 is small now... 64 or 128 is ONLY way to go. Why buy a device like this with no room for storage?

Sparkeze

macrumors 6502a
Sep 18, 2014
Indiana
Thank you for the info.. it seems contrary to what others are saying if you have that much and still have 4.5 left. hmmm

Once you start putting movies or TV shows on the phone it fills up fast. I put an HD movie on my daughter's iPad and it was huge. I would have no more storage left if I did that.

bmac4

macrumors 601
Feb 14, 2013
Atlanta Ga
I got the 64GB 6+. I have always had the 16GB, but I know when I got the 6+ I would want to take a lot of pictures with the great camera. Also I new videos would be a ton of fun too. The screen looking so good, and being so big movies would also be something I wanted. While I don't think the 6+ requires anymore room. It's almost like it should be required to have more than 16GB. There is just so much you can do, and the space is very much needed. I guess it really depends on your usage, but honestly I think you are limiting what you can do with only 16GB.

Cozmosis

macrumors regular
Mar 2, 2011
Baltimore, MD
16gb is quickly moving to the unacceptable range - I have had that size for all of my devices and on my 5s I am constantly deleting things to try to keep under. And I don't have that many apps or keep any local music.

Why are we even being offered the same storage size I had on my 3GS in 2010?

TRC-WA

macrumors regular
Sep 26, 2014

Even 32 is small now... 64 or 128 is ONLY way to go. Why buy a device like this with no room for storage?

Because not everyone uses their device in the same way that you do?

Guess not. I like to take photos and shoot video with phone... listen to music files and watch an occasional movie from my iTunes library without having to worry about storage.

The extra $200 most certainly won't break the bank for the freedom of having 3000 songs, a dozen full HD movies on the device and the ability to do what I want with the phone while having 70GB of free space.

I almost think 32GB's is the bare minimum now...in the case of the iPhone 6/6+ that calculates to 64GB since it goes 16/64/128. Its worth the extra $100....think about it...$100 spread over 2 years is nothing...just bite the bullet and dig a little deeper into your pockets.

That. ^

MassiveAttack

macrumors 6502a
Mar 28, 2010
New York
Who has a iPhone 6 Plus with 16GB?

In 2014 16gb devices are unusable, I don't care how many here think they can justify such a low capacity. I have a 64gb and when all is said and done I'm left with 24gb of space which I can easily use up. Next time around I'm getting a 128. Nobody should offer 16gb at this day and age. 16gb is the new 8gb.

Laryl

macrumors 6502a
Sep 26, 2014
AZ

For me it was the money.. maybe you have deeper pockets to dig into but trying to live on social security and work too, affording these toys is a luxury but not in the budget without serious squirming. That's the only reason I'm on the fence. The extra $100 to me IS an issue.. as is the 2 yr contract I bit the bullet to agree to. :(

Gryfter

macrumors 6502
Apr 15, 2011
Brooklyn, NY
Remember that updates to the operating system can be as large as 5gb at times and to get the update you may have to delete some apps and then re-install them after the update. I understand cloud services holding most of the data and information but in 2014 I would have thought the lowest Iphone would have been 32gb but then they couldn't have kept it in the lower price point.

...or just update via iTunes and delete nothing!

there are more problems updating OTA anyways...

tongefactor40

macrumors regular
Jun 24, 2010
Do you take a lot of pictures/videos?

This is a big deal. I have a 16gb and started using Picturelife for all my photos. Puts everything in the cloud and succeeds where iCloud fails. Much more space on my phone now. I watch a lot of videos too but that is done via streaming with Plex.

ciscomata

Suspended
Original poster
Sep 26, 2014
Texas
Once you start putting movies or TV shows on the phone it fills up fast. I put an HD movie on my daughter's iPad and it was huge. I would have no more storage left if I did that.

I don't download videos or tv shows on my phones anymore I watch everything on Netflix or I go online.

----------

For me it was the money.. maybe you have deeper pockets to dig into but trying to live on social security and work too, affording these toys is a luxury but not in the budget without serious squirming. That's the only reason I'm on the fence. The extra $100 to me IS an issue.. as is the 2 yr contract I bit the bullet to agree to. :(

I can afford it, I just don't wanna wait for the 64GB to ship to me. :(

go ipad

macrumors member
Oct 25, 2012
If you're going to transfer pictures, videos, movies and music diligently to your PC/Mac, you should be OK with 16GB, otherwise get 64GB.

bandofbrothers

macrumors 601
Oct 14, 2007
Uk
I've always opted for the 16gb versions which gives around 13GB of user available memory.

I use DropBox and music playlists.

Currently I have 8GB unused on the iPhone.

myscrnnm

macrumors 68000
Sep 16, 2014
Seattle, WA
The 5GB update was for those downloading OTA. As long as you update via iTunes, you don't need that much free space. I know a lot of people want to do OTA because you don't have to connect to a computer; but considering major updates are only once a year, it's not a terrible tradeoff.

HerdJC

macrumors regular
Sep 24, 2012
West Virginia
Like a couple of others have mentioned, I prefer to update via iTunes. The space issue for a new firmware update has never been a problem when using that method.

Sparkeze

macrumors 6502a
Sep 18, 2014
Indiana
Like a couple of others have mentioned, I prefer to update via iTunes. The space issue for a new firmware update has never been a problem when using that method.

I was too lazy to get my laptop out so I deleted 3-4 apps that were taking a lot of space and after the update I reinstalled them. Needing room for a huge update like iOS 8 happens maybe twice during the entire time you own a phone. If you never need more storage except for those times, why pay $100 more for 2-3 hours? I get that many people prefer to have more storage than 16gb, but it's very doable to fully use your phone with 16gb.

bembol

macrumors 65816
Jul 29, 2006
I do. I sold my 5S.

First, this is my "back-up" / iPod, to my LG G3. It's 32GB with 64GB microSD so I figured why bother spending more than I have too.

I love Apple but MOVES LIKE THIS IS WHY SOMETIMES I HATE THEM! I get the move but clearly they do not want their fans to have options by giving us 32GB, 64GB & 128GB but instead they FORCE US just to make a few more bucks. As a Mac user, it's sad.

After a few days with my 6 Plus, if I can find a 64GB Plus I will drop another $100 for it.

cfedu

Suspended
Mar 8, 2009
Toronto
A few things to consider are:

If you do stream music and video to get around the low storage this will decrease you battery life.

Increased streaming might cost yo more money for data bandwidth.

Im pretty sure you will be able to get an extra 50$ when you sell the iPhone.

Network issues can prevent you from streaming at times

If you forget to back up your photos, you might find yourself in a situation where you can't take many pictures as your storage is full.

With all that said, I personally can get by with 16Gb on my Nexus 5, but I would have upgraded to 64GB for 100$ is it was an option.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.