Who has a MacBook Air but barely use its "Air" functions?

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by Kendo, Apr 23, 2012.

1. Kendo macrumors 68000

I bought a 13" MacBook Air imaginging that I would carry it around with me everywhere. Well that was back in July 2011 and fast forward to today and I haven't taken it out with me once. It basically sits on my desk as a desktop. Not that I have a problem with that because it looks so sleek.

Did anyone else get a MacBook Air but barely use its Air-like functions? For my next Mac, I'm wondering if I should just go with a 15" Pro since I might as well get a more powerful machine if it is just going to sit on my desk.

2. Bear macrumors G3

If you want more power and still maintain portability just in case, that could be a good option for you.

3. GKDAIR macrumors regular

I literally take my macbook air everywhere with me. School, Home, hanging out with friends...etc.

4. Boyd01 macrumors 68040

Boyd01

My 13" MBA hasn't left the house much, but I do like being able to move it from room to room. However most of the time it's on my desk connected to a my old 23" Apple Cinema Display with an external keyboard and mouse. I am still completely happy since it's a very fast machine for the kinds of things I do.

5. alfonsog macrumors 6502

alfonsog

When you can, get an iMac and keep the MBA for times you need to take it to go, otherwise you'll say the same about the 15". I have a MacPro at home and mini at work and I spend 95% of my time at one or the other. When I'm on the go I use the iPhone. On my few out of town trips I have a MBA that I rarely use.

6. daonesteven macrumors 6502

I had a mint condition black macbook that was >3 years old when I entered law school this past school year and I sold it and got my 11" MBA for the sole benefit of portability. So, I guess this thread wouldn't apply to me. And now I don't know why I even replied.

7. KohPhiPhi macrumors 6502a

I personally travel often so I carry my MBA through a number of airport terminals every month.

But, if I didn't need the "mobility factor", I'd certainly go for the MBP instead of MBA. The MBA is 100% focused for mobility-minded users, and that's why we pay a mobility premium.

8. Bigredhawkeye macrumors member

Mine goes with me everywhere. Being in college I literally bring my backpack with me everywhere, and the air is so light that I can never tell if I have it in there or not.

9. LordVic macrumors 601

mine barely leaves the house. in fact, it's mostly used while I'm in bed or watching TV. I really haven't had the need to haul it around, since The only time I ever really need a computer is home or office, both of which have far more powerful hardware available for my work needs

10. Sythas macrumors 6502a

Sythas

I got the MBA because it's cheaper than the 13" pro with the same GPU... For office stuff, music, movies and light gaming it's the same.. So I do not use the "AIR" part, because if the macbook pro was cheaper I would have take it instead..

But it's easier to move with it and with an SSD it's faster... smaller yes, but if 128 gig is too small for you, 500 gig will be too anyway... with music, movies and photo, it grows really fast...

11. glen e macrumors 68030

My air powers a home desk setup...but for the single, one time I have to take it somewhere, I'm glad it's an "air"....

12. Reidan macrumors regular

Mine goes everywhere with me. Have an over the shoulder messenger style bag that holds my 11" MBA and an iPad. I also have a 15" ThinkPad in a rolling laptop bag along with external hard drives, CD holders, etc. It stays in the trunk of my car unless actually needed. Most of the time when away from my desk I simply need email or MS Office or an RDP connection, and the MBA or iPad do that just fine.

13. gimikinc macrumors regular

gimikinc

What's the Requirements?

I would say based on your requirements that would definitely push you towards a pro vs. a MBA.

I have an imac and a macbook (white one) and use the macbook when I travel or need something portable (even at home). It's magical 3 year warranty came and went and purchased a MBA 13" last June to take it's place.

The macbook I let the kids use now for learning games, etc.

I really love the MBA and it is so much easier to take along and do not miss any "performance" features for the web surfing, light video and picture editting and even Xcode work I do.

Carrying accessories I think is the bigger problem, you have such a small, lightweight laptop, but still have to bring the "brick" power block as well as any other cords, etc. you want.

All in all for my needs the MBA 13" meets and exceeds them.

14. mj1108 macrumors 6502a

15. jacob-07 macrumors regular

my main reason for going with the air was because i take it to school everyday. if you don't travel with the air, than i think a you should definitely consider a MBP or maybe an imac

16. Scepticalscribe Contributor

Scepticalscribe

I travel a lot, and that was the main reason I bought my MBA. However, between trips which can also be weeks, or months, - or, very often, when I'm in an office abroad for a few weeks, or months, the MBA sits on my desk, doing what it also does well, in other words, it is my main work computer.

I bought it for the portability, but love the SSD and screen as well.

17. Steven in VA macrumors member

Air is why I bought it

I'm on my third Air. Sold first generation, gave second to son-in-law who loves it, use current one daily.

I'm a retired high school history teacher; I use it every period every day when I'm called on to teach. When I give presentations I use my iPod Touch as a remote.

I do carpentry work now, but still carry a book bag/backpack with my Air everywhere. I use it working every day: to look up something, almost like many people use an iPhone (my hands are too gnarly to operate that easily) or contact someone, or look at pictures of something I dismantled as I begin to rebuild it. A couple of years ago my wife called to tell me she had banged up her car; within an hour, sitting on my tailgate and using someone in the neighborhood's WiFi I had found and bought her the Mustang of her dreams with my Air and AutoTrader.com.

We have a 2010 Mac Mini as an HTC, so I don't miss the optical drive at all. (btw, MLB.TV is awesome.)

It's a great machine. I probably like mine a little more than a person should like an inanimate object. I feel the same way about my F-150, though, so I'm not too worried . . .

18. GSPice macrumors 68000

GSPice

19. gmikesell macrumors regular

I use the "air' functionality all the time though I never leave the house

I have the 13" 128gb model and even though I work from home full time, it goes with me from my office, to the kitchen, to the living room, to the media room, to the garage, and back again, all day long. Just LOVE it! I debated getting this vs. the new iPad and I'm glad I went with the Air!

20. DVD9 macrumors 6502a

Then next year you make a post in the Pro forum "wondering if I should just go with a 27" iMac..."

21. QCassidy352 macrumors G4

QCassidy352

that was my thought too. If you never move it, why not iMac? Even more performance, even less cost.

22. urkel macrumors 68030

I used to use 15" MBPs for years but replaced it with the 11" Air last year and got a Mini for my "heavier" work. Well, a year later and my Mini barely got used and became an iTunes server while the 11" Air became my primary.

Im going to rep,ace the 11"Air this year because the screen is too small, but I'm kinda spoiled by the weight and it will be pretty tough to switch back to a device heavier than a 13" Air. I don't even travel much, but I just love the form factor and SSD.

23. stfwayne macrumors regular

Sounds like a cushy teaching job

Most teachers I know cant afford a MBA let alone to buy a car from the side of the road lol

24. tamu macrumors newbie

Very easy to say, i bought MBA because i like it. dont be complicated.

25. JoeG4 macrumors 68030

JoeG4

No! Get an iMac! I have a 13" air and still love using my desktop when I'm at home, but the Air is a great laptop :)