Who has a screen protector on their iPad?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by Zero Cool, Apr 4, 2012.

1. Zero Cool macrumors newbie

Zero Cool

I just put a screen protector on my iPad and I was wondering how everyone else is liking theirs. Mine feels very plasticky and is not nearly as easy to slide my finger around now. Also, there are still a bunch of bubbles after 2 days but I think that's more operator error than their fault.

2. davenz macrumors regular

Not really any point if you have a smart cover or similar on it. Its not like the screen is as exposed as an iphone.

3. tmarks11 macrumors 6502

My anti-glare power support screen protector is sitting on the shelf, waiting for me to get unlazy and install it.

Need to do it, as all the smudges on the screen are driving me nuts; I prefer the look of the anti-glare to the stock shiny surface.

You get used to the change in texture in a few days, and won't even notice it after a while.

Wrt bubbles: face the fact, they are not going to go away. Each of those bubbles probably actually represents a dust particle trapped under the plastic. Get a quality screen protector (power support is my vote, installed 2 on iPads without a flaw, and countless on PDAs before that).

As you roll it into place, if you see a dust particle getting embedded, then roll it back a bit, and lift the dust particle off with scotch tape. Works like a charm. Search this forum for some fairly detailed descriptions of how to do this right; that knowledge will help a lot.

4. Willdr1991 macrumors newbie

Never needed one in any of my apple products. The screen is made out of glass and it is not easy to scratch. Unless you're a careless person you don't need one. Never had any scratches on any of my iproducts

5. plucky duck macrumors 6502

I don't feel it's necessary for the iPad as its mainly stationary. My cellphone is always in my pocket along with keys, coins, and whatever else that has a much higher chance of scratching up the screen.

If I do travel with my iPad later on I will get a smart cover or case instead, much more practical and better use of my money IMO.

6. SweetDove macrumors regular

I didn't feel it necessary, but my mother paid for it for me, so I figured why not. It had a few little bubbles in it at first, but its settled down now. I keep periodically going over it with the "squeegee" I'll see how i like it after a week or two and take it off then if I want to. On my ipad 1gen I didn't get any scratches at all, even with my ferrets walking over the screen.

7. leepark macrumors newbie

Martin Fields

I have a Martin Fields/Overlay screen protector on mine. I will be writing a review of it soon. Until then, for those looking for a top quality screen protector check them out.

8. sluggozmom macrumors 6502

sluggozmom

9. kdoug macrumors 6502a

kdoug

Absolute complete waste of money. Not a single scratch on iPad 1, 2 and 3.
    ----------

10. Coldsnow macrumors regular

I have an invisible shield on my iPad 2 and the rubber texture of the screen protector just bugs me so much, i'm probably going to remove it soon.

11. creativedogmedia macrumors 65816

creativedogmedia

I disagree with most...I don't have it for the protection but rather the way it smooths out the movement of my fingers on the screen. I have the PowerSupport one it my iPad 3 and my 4s. I'm sure it takes away something from the retina display but it's not noticeable enough that I can tell it.

12. Gregintosh macrumors 68000

I hated screen protectors. I don't use any and my screens are fine, especially on the iPad which isn't used as ruggedly as the iPhone.

Nothing beats the smooth texture of glass!

13. ixodes macrumors 601

ixodes

Not a chance in the world. I detest screen protectors.

Why rob yourself from the splendid tactile feedback that Apple has gone to such length to create?

Why doubt the scratch resistance & durability of the Oleophobic Coating?

I've carried my iPhones in my pocket without screen protectors for years. They all look as fresh & perfect as new. My iPads while not carried in my pocket for obvious reasons, also hold up extremely well.

14. nlkccom macrumors 6502a

Using power support crystal for screen protector. Smooth gliding.

15. Genebaby macrumors newbie

Another vote for Power Support Crystal. Looks fantastic still and after doing some research even I can install them bubble free, as I really wanted it to look good.

Did my daughters iPad 1 again first as a test. With the Apple cover on you would need me to tell you it had a protector.

Took me a week to get onto it and I prefer the feel of the protector over the naked glass. My finger glides better.

16. thatoneguy82 macrumors 68000

thatoneguy82

Yup, I agree. Only time my screen is "exposed" is when I'm using it. Otherwise, it's covered. There's no point of having it on, especially when you run the risk of improper installation. The screen is too important in the new iPad to be covered in the slightest.

17. skytears13 macrumors newbie

Have a Mediadevil screen protector. No bubbles at all (sticky tape is your best friend during a screen protector installation), and invisible in normal use.

Unfortunately the crystal clear protectors don't do anything for fingerprints...

18. richpjr macrumors 68030

richpjr

That is my thought as well and I passed on putting one on.

19. macpluslaptop macrumors 6502

anti glare

I didn't want the mirror effect of the glass screen so I put a Power Support antiglare protector on it. The anti-smudge effect was secondary, but nice.:cool:

20. Kavier macrumors 6502a

Kavier

I have a crystal film from power support on mine and love it. Doesn't degrade the display qaulity at all.

21. MrBambinoDent macrumors regular

I had anti glare one on my iPad 2. But not on the retina :D

22. spiderman0616 macrumors 68030

spiderman0616

I had a few extra from my iPad 2 when I got the new iPad. Tried putting them on and couldn't get it perfect, so I abandoned the idea. I have a Smart Cover and I treat my iPad carefully. I don't think it will get scratched.

Also I had a near perfect install on my iPad 2, but the screen protector itself eventually got all scratched up and looked like crap. I imagine the scratches got there just from me wiping the screen off now and then.

23. h1r0ll3r macrumors 68040

h1r0ll3r

I got some cheapo protectors off eBay for mine. $3 for a 3 pack, meh, they do the job just fine.

24. Abazigal macrumors 604

Abazigal

This.

I have always found the screen of the ipad a tad too rough for my fingers to scroll comfortably. Which makes me rather conflicted now. On one hand, the screen protector does let my fingers slide across the screen much more smoothly. On the other hand, the screen is noticeably a tad less bright than without the protector. Which kinda defeats the purpose of getting a ipad in the first place (for the HD screen).

I spent quite a bit on my screen pro, which makes me rather hesitant to tear it away...:( In hindsight, should have just gone naked+smart cover.