Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mcarthon

macrumors 6502
Jun 18, 2010
Had mine in a slim fit spigen and amfilm screen protector. Dropped it on concrete about 4-5 feet. Screen scraxked got a replacement and a otter box symmetry.

KhunJay

macrumors 6502
Sep 16, 2013
If it drops, what about damage that you cannot see?

The case can save it from cracks and dents....but are the internals suitably cushioned?

what could get damaged inside? antennas, receivers....?

I don't know....any gurus who do?

Wackery

Cancelled
Feb 1, 2015

The case can save it from cracks and dents....but are the internals suitably cushioned?

what could get damaged inside? antennas, receivers....?

I don't know....any gurus who do?
if one thing broke, everything would be broken. so you’re probably fine

Contra1971

macrumors member
Dec 7, 2016
San Antonio
I dropped mine twice, once on the garage floor from about 4 feet up, I nearly ****...lol
But I use a case and no damages to report

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016

There is nothing really "Cushioned" inside the internals of the iPhone, aside from adhesive holding the components together. It's not entirely possible for soldered components to crack, but the iPhone could still function, but every drop could possibly compromise internals the iPhone and cause damage that the user is unaware of.

NMSUballa

macrumors regular
Sep 14, 2012
I don’t drop it out of my hand but the glass on the back is so slippery that it slides out of my pocket occasionally while I’m in the car. I have had to pry the phone from in between the seats like 5 times already. I have started putting the X in the cup holders since I never put a drink in there.

fischersd

macrumors 603
Oct 23, 2014
Port Moody, BC, Canada
It's possible that Apple's building their boards out of different materials than we were at BlackBerry, but back then we knew that every drop (from about 3+ feet onto a hard surface) would produce micro-fractures in the system board. Over time, you could have enough fractures that you could get shifts in the layers of the board and connections can be made that weren't intended....causing random, odd problems and software corruption.

Now, you'd have to drop your device a lot....but there's people that do. :) Heh....a friend of mine's wife used to get my iPhone hand me downs as she managed to drop each and every one of them into the toilet. Some people are just very accident prone. :)

BrittWentz

macrumors member
Nov 22, 2017
Just dropped mine after swearing to never let it fall out of my hands...! To be fair, it fell from the couch, so it was a short fall. Made my heart stop nonetheless.

It had the Otterbox Symmetry on and fell face up on my MacBook's cord, which helped cushion the fall. Externally it's unscathed but i'm more worried about the internals.

I know from experience that falls can damage phones even if they look unschated. My iPhone 5S (sturdy case+screen protector from day 1) died after year and a half from a strange bug that messed the touch screen- the screen itself was perfect, like the rest of the phone. No techs, Apple or 3rd Party, were ever able to figure out what went wrong with it. Then i got the 6, which i dropped more times than i'd like to admit, but still looks like new. Well, except for the fact you can feel the screen move if you press enough on the corners...

I'm quite worried now and really mad at myself for being so reckless, this is 1,300 bucks worth of metal we're talking about!

TL,DR: Don't drop your phone...

Clix Pix

macrumors Core
In all the years that I have been using iPhones (since 2007, first iPhone) I have only dropped an iPhone twice -- or, rather, had it slip out of my hands uncontrollably and go flying -- once when I was extracting an iPhone 4 or 5 out of the leather sleeve I was using then and it unexpectedly spurted out, taking a flying leap on to the tile floor in a store....my heart briefly stopped. Thankfully no harm done there! The second time was with my iPhone 7 Plus, this time at home and the phone was naked in my hand as I was walking around my apartment talking on the phone. With a misstep my ankle twisted unexpectedly, causing me to fall and the iPhone 7 to soar off into the air. Fortunately it landed on the rug and not on the adjacent hardwood flooring! It was fine, too. Whew.....

So far, nothing has happened with my new iPhone X, which I've only had since the end of November.

KhunJay

macrumors 6502
Sep 16, 2013
These phones are most vulnerable to droppage when slipping them out of a trouser pocket...that's when they get caught on a fold or crease and slip out...its hard to grip them fully because of the size...Ive had to train myself to get a firm grip on my X and remove it from pocket reeeeall slow.

Mine hit the pavement once and the case prevented any external damage...but now whenever Im on whatsapp and I put it up or place it down a window pops up asking if i want to enable dictation....just wondering if the fall might have caused this aberrant behaviour

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
These phones are most vulnerable to droppage when slipping them out of a trouser pocket...that's when they get caught on a fold or crease and slip out...its hard to grip them fully because of the size...Ive had to train myself to get a firm grip on my X and remove it from pocket reeeeall slow.

Mine hit the pavement once and the case prevented any external damage...but now whenever Im on whatsapp and I put it up or place it down a window pops up asking if i want to enable dictation....just wondering if the fall might have caused this aberrant behaviour

If that behavior that you're speaking of is consistent, then it might have something contributing to damage to the iPhone itself. Carlos, it shouldn't be triggering any pop ups or enabling dictation.

freakomac

macrumors 6502
Nov 21, 2014
I dropped mine the first day, when I was setting it up connecting it to my Mac. Got up for something and I accidentally tugged the charging cord. The X fell face down on the floor (had a cheap case then with no raised lip) from about 1.5 feet. Not even a scratch!
I got a UAG Plasma case later, and so far things are good.

thomasfxlt58

macrumors regular
Sep 14, 2014
The X has a tragically fragile design. If you’re running case-free and have dropped it without damage, count your blessings. My daughters was 13 days old and she was using a case without adequate corner bumper protection on the bottom end. The X was dropped from about a foot onto tile. It hit on the bottom left corner and the screen-front glass fractured in 3-4 veins up from the corner.

It’s a great phone that’s going to break when dropped out of the case. Minimal cases without adequate corner protection are useless IMO. The repair is expensive. Luckily Apple was kind and let her buy AppleCare for the repair which saved her about $50. I’ve owned every single iPhone since 2007 and this is by far the one that needs a case the most.

I have the Apple leather case. I’ve used this on my 6 and 7 plus without fail. I dropped both those phones multiple times with no damage. I’m concerned about the X in this case but I haven’t dropped it yet. Any case for the X should protect it from a drop at least from shoulder height and onto one of the cases corners. The screen lip should be adequate to at least protect from a flat impact (god forbit it hits something protruding from the ground. The screen will be toast).

Love the phone but I don’t believe any design should be this prone to breakage.

Reactions: petesavage

andrewlimxuser

macrumors newbie
Jan 3, 2018
Malaysia
I dropped my X naked from about 2 feets high while charging on samsung fast wireless charger. I was no idea with how it dropped and which part impact to the wooden surface of the floor. My charger was place on a chair and somehow my X slipped on its own and slipped to the floor from the chair in the midnight when i was sleeping. I was shocked and awake when i heard the sound pappppppp..... but lucky enough, i found that my X was totally survive with no scratch or dent at all. It was naked but i put a hoco tempered glass on the front. It was facing down after the dropped, my tempered glass seems some hairline scratches and barely visible. But for the bezel and the back of my X was still perfect and flawless. I think its all depends on the speed and impact angle, you cant judge the X by watched fews drop test on youtube. All the youtuber seems will drop it and test it until the X broken and shattered then only they edit and post the video.

M33-1

macrumors 6502
Jun 15, 2010
I had a big scratch on my screen from dropping it, but swapped out the screen under warranty due to issues with pink tinting. I am very happy now to have a new screen with proper coloring.

The screen in my opinion is very weak. My drop was from the car seat to the floor where it must have come into contact with a small pebble on the floormat. Very disappointed in the overall hardness compared to all of my previous generation iPhones.

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
I had a big scratch on my screen from dropping it, but swapped out the screen under warranty due to issues with pink tinting. I am very happy now to have a new screen with proper coloring.

The screen in my opinion is very weak. My drop was from the car seat to the floor where it must have come into contact with a small pebble on the floormat. Very disappointed in the overall hardness compared to all of my previous generation iPhones.

The edge to edge to display can pose a problem at times with situations like yours based on where the glass is located.

Shanghaichica

macrumors G5
Apr 8, 2013
UK
I haven’t but my 19 month old son has dropped it on our laminate floors and thrown it on said floors a few times. I have a glass screen protector and I’m using the Apple silicone case. It’s been fine so far. No damage. I have insurance anyway.

Tigertecz

macrumors newbie
Sep 12, 2013
Ridiculous thing happened to me last week. Standing at the edge of a train platform in London (DLR at Bank Station) and I was waiting for the train in front of me to pass so I could get on the train after to my destination. As the doors are closing for the first train, someone runs past me, knocks the phone out of my hand, slips in to the train while the doors are closing and is off. Meanwhile my iPhone X bounces off the train platform, off the side of the train and on to the tracks beneath it! :eek:

Horrified, but the guy is already gone as the train has left the platform. It's rush hour too so everyone on the platform all saw it happen and it was like slow motion as everyone just gasped when it went down on to the tracks. I could see it just lying there, face down so I can't even see the screen. :(

I speak to the station staff who say they can retrieve it but only in the middle of the night once the trains stop running, so I'd have to pick it up in the morning. At this point I'm already scrambling to figure out what my insurance details are and if I remembered to actually register this iPhone after getting it (I find out at home that I did indeed forget to register this handset and it still has my 7 Plus registered instead which has been sold). Honestly couldn't sleep that night too.

Went back in the morning to pick it up, and was gobsmacked. NO SMASHED SCREEN! The back was fine too with the absolute smallest of cracks literally 2mm on the edge which is barely visible, and two small scuffs on two of the corners of the bezel. That was it! Phone in perfect working order, no need to replace or fix the screen. I am still shocked! It hit the train platform, the side of the train itself, and then fell down to the tracks beneath it too!

Next thing I did was register my handset on my insurance policy :D

Reactions: Shanghaichica

Shanghaichica

macrumors G5
Apr 8, 2013
UK
Ridiculous thing happened to me last week. Standing at the edge of a train platform in London (DLR at Bank Station) and I was waiting for the train in front of me to pass so I could get on the train after to my destination. As the doors are closing for the first train, someone runs past me, knocks the phone out of my hand, slips in to the train while the doors are closing and is off. Meanwhile my iPhone X bounces off the train platform, off the side of the train and on to the tracks beneath it! :eek:

Horrified, but the guy is already gone as the train has left the platform. It's rush hour too so everyone on the platform all saw it happen and it was like slow motion as everyone just gasped when it went down on to the tracks. I could see it just lying there, face down so I can't even see the screen. :(

I speak to the station staff who say they can retrieve it but only in the middle of the night once the trains stop running, so I'd have to pick it up in the morning. At this point I'm already scrambling to figure out what my insurance details are and if I remembered to actually register this iPhone after getting it (I find out at home that I did indeed forget to register this handset and it still has my 7 Plus registered instead which has been sold). Honestly couldn't sleep that night too.

Went back in the morning to pick it up, and was gobsmacked. NO SMASHED SCREEN! The back was fine too with the absolute smallest of cracks literally 2mm on the edge which is barely visible, and two small scuffs on two of the corners of the bezel. That was it! Phone in perfect working order, no need to replace or fix the screen. I am still shocked! It hit the train platform, the side of the train itself, and then fell down to the tracks beneath it too!

Next thing I did was register my handset on my insurance policy :D
Amazing story. I go through bank DLR station to get to work too. I have a bit of a phobia of underground platforms so I tend to stand towards the back which is no good in rush hour. I have been using the underground for nearly 20 years so I don’t know why I get this anxiety still.

Tigertecz

macrumors newbie
Sep 12, 2013
Amazing story. I go through bank DLR station to get to work too. I have a bit of a phobia of underground platforms so I tend to stand towards the back which is no good in rush hour. I have been using the underground for nearly 20 years so I don’t know why I get this anxiety still.

Yeah I go through there on the commute every day twice a day and it's always rammed. If you don't get close to the front of the line for the platform you're going to have to let so many trains go by. You either have to leave in the morning really early or get back really late to miss the rush. My 7 Plus dropped out of my hand two weeks before the X was announced on the DLR platform at Blackwall, and it landed screen first on the edge of the platform. Was lucky it didn't drop off to the tracks afterwards, but picked it up and the screen had shattered. Luckily had insurance on it and it was replaced for £50, but that was heartbreaking too lol.

I have had like 7 or 8 iPhones over the years, never used a protection case, just a leather sleeve (Sena Ultraslim) at times, and never ever cracked a screen or anything. Two drops in the last few months on two different iPhones, one smashed and one unscathed... maybe it's time to get a case? Lol

Shanghaichica

macrumors G5
Apr 8, 2013
UK
Yeah I go through there on the commute every day twice a day and it's always rammed. If you don't get close to the front of the line for the platform you're going to have to let so many trains go by. You either have to leave in the morning really early or get back really late to miss the rush. My 7 Plus dropped out of my hand two weeks before the X was announced on the DLR platform at Blackwall, and it landed screen first on the edge of the platform. Was lucky it didn't drop off to the tracks afterwards, but picked it up and the screen had shattered. Luckily had insurance on it and it was replaced for £50, but that was heartbreaking too lol.

I have had like 7 or 8 iPhones over the years, never used a protection case, just a leather sleeve (Sena Ultraslim) at times, and never ever cracked a screen or anything. Two drops in the last few months on two different iPhones, one smashed and one unscathed... maybe it's time to get a case? Lol
I think iPhones are quite durable. I’ve never smashed one but I would say I’m quite careful. My husband is very clumsy but even he didn’t manage to smash his iPhone 4. He is very clumsy though. Smashed the Samsung galaxy S3, smashed the note 3, smashed the S6 edge plus twice. Smashed the S7 edge. I’m just waiting to see how long it will take him to smash his note 8.
I force him to get insurance and I have to force him to use it because he carries on using his smashed phones despite having insurance, with screen flickering and all. One time he smashed the screen, didn’t care. The screen was flickering and had a green line down it, didn’t care. The screen sometimes wouldn’t come on didn’t care. The charging port stopped working, didn’t care as he used wireless charging. When the wireless charging port stopped working he was still dithering about and I had to call the insurance company myself.

I’ve made him get a case of his note 8 and I’m making sure that he uses it lol

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.