Who has experience with ebay/paypal??

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by backinblack875, Oct 1, 2015.

1. backinblack875, Oct 1, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 1, 2015

backinblack875 macrumors 6502a

backinblack875

Im selling something on eBay and the buyer said they want to pay directly with paypal since eBay checkout isn't working with them. As long as i verify the payment in my paypal account i should be good right?? I'm not suspicious of the buyer and they seem very legit, I've been in communication with them for a while now. i would still be covered under paypal should the payment end up not working, etc?

i could make and send an invoice right?? then as soon as the money is on my account id be good to ship right?

2. rhett7660 macrumors G4

rhett7660

So the buyer wants to bypass ebay all together and pay you directly via paypal for an item he purchased. Correct?

3. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

It seems fishy to me. Maybe it ok, but that would raise some red flags if I was selling something.

4. backinblack875 thread starter macrumors 6502a

backinblack875

yes, but now it appears they got eBay working. I received the payment through eBay it appears

5. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Problem solved :)

I'm sure it was ok, but given the risk of internet sales, anything that goes around the norm raises concern :)

6. rhett7660 macrumors G4

rhett7660

This was my first thought and concern also and glad it worked out for the OP.

7. firedept macrumors 603

firedept

Glad to hear it worked out. Yes you would still have been covered through Paypal as long as you sent them an invoice for merchandise. You are still forwarded the same protection, just not any from Ebay. Not that Ebay sides with the seller very often anyways.

Still not normal to go outside of Ebay, but I have had it happen with reputable buyers or buyers that I have dealt with on several occasions. As long as their feedback is solid, I would consider it.

8. bunnspecial macrumors 603

bunnspecial

From a frequent seller's perspective, I wouldn't do it unless it was someone I knew(which happens some). If I know the buyer, I usually ask for a check anyway.

Aside from that, I would not bypass Ebay checkout. Not only does it afford you at least some level of protection, but also makes the shipping process considerably easier for the seller(the confirmation/tracking is automatically uploaded and handled through Ebay).

9. Huntn, Oct 2, 2015
    Last edited: Oct 2, 2015

Huntn macrumors G5

Huntn

I've used those services a ton over the last decade, but not that much in the last 2 years. My understanding is that circumventing the eBay payment is a violation of their policy because does'nt it bypass them (eBay) from getting their final payment?

Although I've never been burned, ebay's buyer preference concerns me. I have sold 4 Macs on eBay in the range of $400-$900. The nightmare would be the buyer, getting your item, changing something on it, like say putting a broken hard drive in it, or claiming it arrived without a CPU and then filing a complaint.

Unlikely? Yes but possible. A friend claims she bought a computer on eBay and the individual misrepresented the video card. In this case she was the buyer and lost her appeal. I never saw the computer so she could have been confused.

10. rhett7660 macrumors G4

rhett7660

I want to say this is correct. They, ebay, do not get the money from the final sale.

11. Huntn macrumors G5

Huntn

Maybe that has changed since I used it or Im not remembering correctly. I know that they withdraw money from your account or bill you based on the fact it sold. I guess that would be regardless how the buyer pays you.

12. bunnspecial macrumors 603

bunnspecial

Ebay gets their FVF(usually 10% of the sale price including shipping) regardless of the method of payment used.

The only way to circumvent this would be if the buyer and seller mutually agree to cancel the sale, which IS dishonest if the sale is successful and something I wouldn't consider doing on a successful sale.

Paypal transactions are $.30+2.75% whether through Ebay or not through Ebay. You can avoid this using the "send money to friends or family" option but this is a HORRIBLE idea for an Ebay sale(aside from being dishonest, it's also free from all buyer protection).

It's still perfectly Ebay legal for a buyer to pay by check/MO or any other mutually agreed on payment method-the seller just technically can't solicit it through the listing or any Ebay communication system. Ebay can't monitor my phone calls, text messages, and personal email though :) .

By the way, Ebay local pick-ups are cash only. This is actually acceptable under Ebay policy to state this. A seller should never accept Paypal for a local pick-up since the seller can't prove delivery and therefore is opening themselves up for an item not received case.

13. c8rlo macrumors 6502

c8rlo

usually eBay will send out a notification(email) discouraging selling/buying directly outside of eBay. this happened to me long time a go, but nothing wrong occurred, got my item and the seller got her money. only negative was not being able to leave positive feedback to seller or receiving positive feedback as a buyer...

14. 321estrellas macrumors 6502

321estrellas

Of course eBay would be against this activity as they do not get their fees if sold outside of eBay. You're taking a pretty big risk if you do so.