Who has interest in the Nook Tablet?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by PDFierro, Nov 7, 2011.

1. PDFierro macrumors 68040

Apologies if this can't be posted here, but I haven't seen it mentioned and there are Kindle Fire threads.

The new Nook tablet that was introduced today looks really good. Anyone going to get it? I know there was plenty interest in the Fire on here.

I've been using Amazon VOD for a few years and always wanted a proper portable device that could play it, but the Nook looks like the better option.

2. MallCop macrumors 6502

Im going to pick it up probably after Christmas. I was looking at the Fire but this just seems much better and I prefer the nook platform. Going to setup a media server with a mac mini and this would be the perfect device for movies on the go.

3. Yr Blues macrumors 68020

4. Sandman1969 macrumors 6502a

Sandman1969

What designer came up with the cut off corner?
    Destroys the look IMO.

And lol about the Barnes and nobles CEO "drubbing" it for 512mb ram.

The iPads perform fine with the same memory footprint. Efficient OS trumps more RAM

5. qtx43 macrumors 6502a

If I wanted a 7" tablet, the nook would be it. Yes, the iPad gets by on 512MB, the original on only 256MB, but it should have had 512MB. But he was comparing to the Kindle Fire, which also runs a version of Android. The killer hardware feature, assuming it works the same was as the Nook Color, is the ability to boot from an SD card, and expand memory with the SD Card.

Much is made of the price, but to stream video on the Fire, you're going to want the $79/year Amazon Prime. Suddenly the price advantage suddenly doesn't seem like much of an advantage. And 8GB for local storage? After at least a couple are gone for Android itself, that's not much.

But like they say, some people won't analyze it much. Just $199 vs. $249.

6. Mac.World, Nov 7, 2011
    Last edited: Nov 7, 2011

Mac.World macrumors 68000

Mac.World

Nook Color is better than the Fire for many reasons. I consider the Color a proper tablet because we know it will be rooted to load Android's ICS on to it and will have access to the Android marketplace. No idea if the Fire will have this ability or not. Plus, with the SD card slot and 16gb of memory, you can actually store apps, vids and music onto it.

And of course, you get free wifi at any B&N store, plus if there is an issue you have a brick and mortar store to go to. If I was looking for a 7" ereader/tablet, this would be it.

The Fire is a joke. Sorry, but the Fire is a failure in the making. At least this first version is anyway. Initial sales will be met with massive returns.

7. Yr Blues macrumors 68020

Amazon has a better ecosystem and the Kindle is a better brand. I've never seen a Nook in the wild, but I've seen plenty of e-ink Kindles.

8. Mac.World macrumors 68000

Mac.World

Maybe... We'll see what happens.

But you know what i hate... Auto-correct! Your post with my original text shows how messed up that feature is. I gotta turn it off!

9. Blakjack macrumors 68000

Blakjack

It's some things I can't cope with in life, no matter how they may perform or how great of a price they may be. If a product is BUTT ugly, I'm just not interested.

Whomever came up with that thick plastic rim and cut off corner on the Nook ought to be shot and put in jail.

10. mkrishnan, Nov 8, 2011
    Last edited: Nov 8, 2011

mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

What does B&N mean when they say the Nook doesn't have a "full" browser? They imply that the Fire doesn't either.

EDIT: And several of the articles point out how Prime is a "hidden" cost of the Kindle Fire... if one bought a Nook Tablet, one does not receive any free service that compares to Prime, does one? (If I do my math right, Netflix and Hulu Plus, which are both great, are each individually more expensive that Amazon Prime is... and they're not free on the Nook any more than they're free on the iPhone.)

11. steveca macrumors 6502

If I had to buy an ebook reader I would go for the Amazon. and i like their pricing strategy, I think they are set for great things this xmas season...

12. MallCop macrumors 6502

I wonder if amazon will answer the $99 nook touch with a $99 kindle without ads. I mean if Barnes and noble can do so can amazon.

13. poloponies macrumors 68030

B&N is fighting for its life, it can do a whole lot of things that a viable company doesn't need to.

And we have an ad-supported Kindle in our household. It's not a big issue.

14. kwajkat macrumors regular

kwajkat

One thing you forgot to mention is that out of that 16gb only 13Gb is available for use and out of that 13GB only 1 GB is available for non B&N items. While the Fire may be lacking, the new Nook has a lot of things lacking as well. People are still trying to compare Kindles and Nooks to the iPad which is just as crazy as it was before!:rolleyes:

15. qtx43 macrumors 6502a

I think both will work well, but buying the Fire is implicitly saying I'm going to buy Amazon Prime. Without it, the Fire is a piece of crap. With the Nook, you have choices, and better hardware, and don't need unlimited wifi. And rooting it is dead easy.

16. PDFierro thread starter macrumors 68040

And where on earth did you hear that? Why would they limit the storage?

17. MallCop macrumors 6502

I don't think the ads are that big of a deal either. I sell kindles at a $20 discount over amazon so I have over 100 of them and no one has ever complained.

18. PDFierro thread starter macrumors 68040

I really like the design, but maybe it's just me. You make it sound like a knock-off product.

19. Mac.World macrumors 68000

Mac.World

Of course, the Nook Color will still have a microSD card slot, which can add up to 32 gigabytes of storage for external content. And undoubtedly people who jailbreak to add full Android functionality won’t even notice the restriction.

20. MallCop macrumors 6502

I like the design also but I wish the redesigned it for the new one. I prefer the kindle fire look over the nook though I like the nooks functionality better.

21. mattg3 macrumors 6502

Have you been in a barnes And noble in last month?The entire middle of most stores is now dedicated to NOOK products and it looks a lot like an Apple store.Unfortunately they have removed the plush seats and couches set up for customer comfort that was their trademark.Looks like a major last ditch effort to save a company.

22. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

I haven't been in one recently. What's your feeling? Does it feel like it's working?

23. kwajkat macrumors regular

kwajkat

"And where on earth did you hear that? Why would they limit the storage?"

It is in the fine print of their information.

It is always interesting those who think and trash talk the kindle to try and sell the Nook (especially the clerks in stores who like to compare the older model kindles with the newer nooks) and don't really check out the details of a product is just like comparing the kindle to the ipad:rolleyes:. But then they do that with the ipad and tablets as well as the pc vs mac so I guess if you don't research a product well it is much easier just to forgot the positive and whine about the negative. Kindles and amazon customer service really does outshine B&N when you really look at everything but that doesn't make the Nook or BN bad, just means different strokes for different folks:D Personally I have had kindles since the get go and love them but I do think they screwed the pooch on the Fire. I won't be getting one but that doesn't mean they are crap, just not for me. I am happy with my current set up, Kindle 3 and the ipad, even though I am on my fifth ipad replacement ( three for bad backlight issues and the fourth for the white bezel seperating). I am saving myself for the next ipad with higher resolution screen:D

24. Blakjack macrumors 68000

Blakjack

LOL. Its not as bad as I make it sound, but the cut off corner is pointless and ugly...to me that is. What do they want us to do, use. Lanyard?!

25. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

Yes, good catch:

FWIW, the available capacity on a 16GB iPad is 14.3GB (per here). The part about possibly (their wording is very obtuse!) only allowing 1GB of non-B&N content is interesting, though. I think part of this war will hinge on what you can do with the respective app stores. If you're streaming Netflix, Hulu, or Amazon Video on Demand, storage space doesn't matter much to you. eBooks are also tiny... more than two years into Kindle ownership, my Kindle 2 still has more than 1400MB free. If it's reasonably feasible to load movies on there directly (like handbrake rips of DVDs), then I'm going to want the space pretty badly. If it's apps, I'll want the space, albeit not as much. Particularly if there are good games (although the iPad is really a much better option there than either of these).