Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Tarzanman

macrumors 65816
Jul 16, 2010
I own a 7" tablet (Original samsung Galaxy Tab) and a 9.7" Tablet (HP Touchpad).

For reading books, the 7" form factor is vastly superior. Its right between the size of a hardback and a paperback. Its small enough to fit in your pocket and big enough to be wedged in crannies so that you can read 'hands free'.

The 9.7" tablets are too big to hold with one hand for a long time. They have twice the screen area which means you have more light straining your eyes and it is easier to lose your place on the page.

The smaller tablets are better for reading books in the same way that the larger tablets are better for web browsing.

That is my opinion, anyway.

Kupp

macrumors regular
Mar 23, 2011
Massachusetts
I'm just looking for a decent secondary tablet for when my wife has stolen my iPad 2 from me, preferably in the $200 range.

PDFierro

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Sep 8, 2009
"And where on earth did you hear that? Why would they limit the storage?"

It is in the fine print of their information.

It is always interesting those who think and trash talk the kindle to try and sell the Nook (especially the clerks in stores who like to compare the older model kindles with the newer nooks) and don't really check out the details of a product is just like comparing the kindle to the ipad:rolleyes:. But then they do that with the ipad and tablets as well as the pc vs mac so I guess if you don't research a product well it is much easier just to forgot the positive and whine about the negative. Kindles and amazon customer service really does outshine B&N when you really look at everything but that doesn't make the Nook or BN bad, just means different strokes for different folks:D Personally I have had kindles since the get go and love them but I do think they screwed the pooch on the Fire. I won't be getting one but that doesn't mean they are crap, just not for me. I am happy with my current set up, Kindle 3 and the ipad, even though I am on my fifth ipad replacement ( three for bad backlight issues and the fourth for the white bezel seperating). I am saving myself for the next ipad with higher resolution screen:D

Okay, relax. I do research my products, but how am I possibly supposed to know that? No need to take it out on me. I also never trashed the Kindle Fire, I even said I liked it.

4DThinker

macrumors 68020
Mar 15, 2008
The Nook Tablet will replace the Nook Color as the best selling tablet for hackers. Expect them to have Honeycomb running on it within a week of release, and IceCreamSandwich before the end of the year.

PDFierro

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Sep 8, 2009
LOL. Its not as bad as I make it sound, but the cut off corner is pointless and ugly...to me that is. What do they want us to do, use. Lanyard?!

It struck me as odd at first, but still I like the design. It doesn't look as bad as some of those other tablets out there.

----------

I own a 7" tablet (Original samsung Galaxy Tab) and a 9.7" Tablet (HP Touchpad).

For reading books, the 7" form factor is vastly superior. Its right between the size of a hardback and a paperback. Its small enough to fit in your pocket and big enough to be wedged in crannies so that you can read 'hands free'.

The 9.7" tablets are too big to hold with one hand for a long time. They have twice the screen area which means you have more light straining your eyes and it is easier to lose your place on the page.

The smaller tablets are better for reading books in the same way that the larger tablets are better for web browsing.

That is my opinion, anyway.

I agree. I really like the 7-inch form factor. I'm leaning towards the Nook at this point, but the Fire seems to have a better app selection and I use Amazon VOD quite often. But the Nook has some advantages, too.

And the local storage on the Fire sucks. What are supposed to do, just load up a movie or 2 for the plane trip and then take it off? 8GB (6, and less after you store other things) really isn't enough if you plan to be away from WiFi for awhile.

cwazytech

macrumors 6502
Jan 7, 2009
Colorado
After looking at the specs, I think I would prefer the Nook over the Fire, but I can't quite tell what the big differences are between the Nook Color and Nook Tablet.

Yr Blues

macrumors 68030
Jan 14, 2008
Between the Nook and the Fire, I'd have to go with company repute, customer service, & longevity.

mkrishnan

Moderator emeritus
Jan 9, 2004
Grand Rapids, MI, USA
Most observers are having that problem.

It looks like the NT is out a little early, i.e. today. Hopefully some of our people who got them can shed some light!

However, I think besides the obvious (the storage capacity / expandability), it's going to depend a lot on where the software goes. If the app development for the two is comparable, I think it'll be a wash, but if one of them can delivered more tailored apps and/or if Amazon's prime integration (or Silk or B&N's modified browser) turns out to be a killer app, I think one of those things could cause one to pull ahead.

bufffilm

Suspended
May 3, 2011
it's going to depend a lot on where the software goes. If the app development for the two is comparable, I think it'll be a wash

and that may be exactly where amazon is heading to. if the nook color gets updated to run ICS, then the only difference between the two is the larger screen size (and maybe a faster processor on the tablet) and customers only have to choose and pick which form factor they desire.

similar to what some people would like to see from apple eg. add 7" ipad to the lineup.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.