Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

JoeRito

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 12, 2012
New England, USA
Apple will release IOS 8 on to the servers around 1pm est

if you do a OTA (over the air) everything stays put ... what you're doing via OTA is installing the OS on top of 7 without wipe.. Backup either way you choose to install

So when you use Software Update this cleans up the old OS files? Any reason to choose OTA other than early adoption? Thank you for responding.

iPhil

macrumors 68040
So when you use Software Update this cleans up the old OS files? Any reason to choose OTA other than early adoption? Thank you for responding.

Only true way to "clean-up" is to do clean install = wipe 7 then install 8 but you "lose" the passwords to wifi / vpn etc re setup mail etc re organize the apps that you had installed etc ..

Me = I'm doing OTA, my 5 originally came with 6 did iTunes install to 7 and now I'll do an OTA to 8 without wipe .. Just make sure Backup the phone just incase something goes bonkers with the install ... Better safe than sorry ...

I do the same way with my Mac with each OS upgrade -- Backup / upgrade the OS - no wipe .. Lion / Mountain Lion / Mavericks / Yosemite ( Beta Tester) but 10.10 is on different drive but once 10.10 hits Public = Download onto my main drive as upgrade then restore to my external via Disk utility ...

Sveke

macrumors newbie
Aug 24, 2014
I did ota and everything on my air is perfectly fine. Runs great. Took about an hour and a half though.

s2mikey

Suspended
Sep 23, 2013
Upstate, NY
The whole family updated at around 5pm tonight. Fairly quick and painless. Two ipad 2s, an iPad 4 and my Air. So far so good but Safari has a weird issue with scrolling making the favorites bar stay on top of the screen.

No problems or issues wit the upgrade or upgrade proces for any of us.

Stuntman06

macrumors 6502a
Sep 19, 2011
Metro Vancouver, B.C, Canada
Running on my iPad air. Animations are a bit choppy. Especially when closing apps.

I installed it on my iPad Mini. I do notice that the scrolling is noticeably choppier than iOS 7. At first I thought it was just Google+, but I tried it on other apps like Facebook and Pulse and they all seem choppier than before.

The one feature I looked forward to was third party keyboards. I installed SwiftKey and was bitterly disappointed. The iOS version was pale in comparison to the Android version that I have been using for over a year now. It missed many features that I have been accustomed to. Perhaps, later versions will have those missing features that I actually want. Without these features, I went back to the default iOS keyboard.

Ulisescm

macrumors regular
Sep 17, 2014
Mexico
I'm doing some tests but I find it's a smooth experience so far, except for the favorites safari menu which features some lag maybe due the new transparency effect...

ECUSnare

macrumors regular
Sep 19, 2011
I have it on my rMini. Seems to run very well for me, the only issue I saw was slower loading speeds in Safari but that was due to network congestion on my end (I don't have that great of wifi and I was downloading iOS 8 for my phone).

Badrottie

Suspended
May 8, 2011
Los Angeles
I installed iOS 8 last night on my iPhone 5S and iPad Air. They seems to run smoothly I am not sure if I can notice anything choppy. It took 2 hours to download via iTunes. :apple:

Stuntman06

macrumors 6502a
Sep 19, 2011
Metro Vancouver, B.C, Canada
A day later, I found my iPad Mini to be a lot smoother than right after I installed iOS 8. Most of the choppiness as gone, but a little still remain. I cannot remember how it compares to iOS 7 now. Hard to compare it with something you saw over a day ago.

DaCurmudgen

macrumors regular
Aug 5, 2012
Upgraded my iPad3 to iOS 8 and no issues

Install took a while, but so did iOS 7. iPad is running smoothly and haven't seen any showstoppers.

sanke1

macrumors 65816
Nov 9, 2010
Indian iPad Air models reboot with blue screen of death on iOS 8. So I rolled back to 7.1.2

richardmu

macrumors 6502a
Oct 10, 2007
Bristol, UK
iPad air almost useless since iOS 8. Wifi works about 10% of the time if
I'm lucky. Tried a few of the recommended fixes but nothing works.

Every device in the house works perfectly with the router so it's back
to the Apple Store and they can fix it or replace it with one that works.

I'm not prepared to fart about any more to try and get something that
worked flawlessly before iOS 8 to work again. An iPad without wifi is
a brick!

Rodster

macrumors 68040
May 15, 2007
Haven't updates my iPad Mini 1st gen yet.. should I do it?

That's your call and i've read that Apple stopped signing 7.1.2 so there's NO turning back if you don't like it. I have an iPad 2 and Air that are staying on 7 because I don't like the changes made to Safari. It now behaves like Android web browsers in iOS 8.

richardmu

macrumors 6502a
Oct 10, 2007
Bristol, UK
That's your call and i've read that Apple stopped signing 7.1.2 so there's NO turning back if you don't like it. I have an iPad 2 and Air that are staying on 7 because I don't like the changes made to Safari. It now behaves like Android web browsers in iOS 8.

Don't do it, wait a while otherwise you may end up in the crap like me!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.