Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Blackheart

macrumors 6502a
Mar 13, 2004
Seattle
TO ANYONE WHO WANTS TO PARTAKE IN THIS:

DO NOT POST IF YOU DON'T BEAT SOMEONE

... just an idea to help slim the thread size...

Glenn Wolsey

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Nov 24, 2005
New Zealand
Koodauw said:
Me so far. I have 3 songs purchased from iTunes

You only have a 3 song iTunes collection?

Blackheart said:
TO ANYONE WHO WANTS TO PARTAKE IN THIS:

DO NOT POST IF YOU DON'T BEAT SOMEONE

... just an idea to help slim the thread size...

No, I think this will make for some cool discussion later in the thread, just keep the "un-needed" posts to a minimal.

Glenn Wolsey

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Nov 24, 2005
New Zealand
cooknwitha said:
Same as the other thread then for me:

4350, 14.9 days, 19.31GB

Does that make me a goodie-goodie?

Haha, it sure does! i wish my collection was 100% legal, it would make me feel much better, I cant explain it, but it feels wrong listening too music that's illegally obtained, you cant enjoy it as much.

frankblundt

macrumors 65816
Sep 19, 2005
South of the border
so cause i bought 10 tracks off iTMS Australia i'm out??! What about my bootleg vinyl rips? and the copy of Move It i extracted off my Madagascar DVD (love that lemur)? Exactly how legal are we talking here? - bearing in mind that in NZ it's actually illegal to copy ANYTHING.
I paid for it all and i've got the car to prove it.

MacFan25863

macrumors 6502a
Jun 20, 2004
5862 items, 14.3 days, 24.47 GB....and thats not counting the other 300 or so songs I have on my iMac which are also legal...:eek:

BWhaler

macrumors 68040
Jan 8, 2003
18,346 Items
160.01 gigs
62.8 Days

All legal.

You know, there is another thread with this topic already. It's on the first page...

Glenn Wolsey

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Nov 24, 2005
New Zealand
Applespider said:
There's an easy solution to that; delete the illegal stuff and buy it :rolleyes:

If only it was that easy, I'm saving for that setup in my signature there ;)

I hope to have a full legal collection by the end of this year.

gnasher729

Suspended
Nov 25, 2005
Doctor Q said:
Maybe the largest will belong to somebody who won an Apple contest, like Ken Reist, who won 10,000 songs in this contest.

Unlikely. Quite a short time after the iTunes Music Store opened, Steve Jobs said in some speech that the record holder had bought for more than $38,000 from iTMS. That was quite a while ago.

cb911

macrumors 601
Mar 12, 2002
BrisVegas, Australia
haha, well it's definitely not me.
twisted.gif

(i know... sorry, useless post. but i had to say it. what's the big deal with 'largest legal music collection' anyway?)

snakelda

macrumors 6502
Jan 23, 2006
Az.
probably 300 and the rest are not legal.I don't get by what you mean that you don't enjoy it as much?It sounds the same.Do you mean you feel guilty?

Mord

macrumors G4
Aug 24, 2003
UK
40,476 songs, speaking for a freind here, well his father who is the director of a music festival (music village) he has over 3000 cd's all legally purchased on a 4TB RAID array in 385KBps MP3.

frankblundt

macrumors 65816
Sep 19, 2005
South of the border
Glenn Wolsey said:
Too see who really takes pride in their music collection.
i don't think you'll find that out based on numbers (legal or otherwise). It's easy enough to legally pad your collection out with free crap as it is to do so with p2p.
I'm also well aware of the tendency to take pride in one's collection based enitirely on the anal principles of collecting for the sake of completion without any great love for the music itself.
and I don't have any big problem with either.

i have a lot of stuff in my library that i haven't listened to in years and currently have no intention of listening to either, but i also know how often i've been suprised by albums coming up that i was initially disappointed with or just didn't "get" when i got them, only to find that i'm now ready for them and enjoy them . Or i'm still not ready for them.

Likewise a lot of stuff i've bought because it's widely recognised as being fantastic, but in all honesty i haven't actually given it enough of a listen yet to do it justice (Beatles, Stones, Dylan), but given that i'm not intending on dying any time soon, i'll get to it eventually (i have a similar approach to books, had that copy of War & Peace on the shelf for five years now...)

I also have a lot of stuff that would pass as crap by almost anyone's standard (Kylie's 12" extended remix of I Should Be So Lucky) but that serve to remind me, (often fondly) of a particular time or place in my life when i heard them first, or work in some situations (parties when drunk) but would otherwise never listen to.

And yet there's still an enormous amount of stuff that i don't have and would love to get - I have no Charlie Parker frinstance (and no idea where to begin with him either - Counterfit, your help please?)

Do i take pride in my collection? Of course. Could i have bought a house if i hadn't continually frittered away my cash on music (and books) whenever i had any? Probably. Is my collection worthier than anyone else's because it's ridiculously large? No. Is it worth more to me? Yes. Am i a sad weirdo like the guy in High Fidelity? Not sure... :)

can we go back to the original thread now?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.