Who here buys stuff from iTunes?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by windell79, Sep 7, 2007.

1. windell79 macrumors newbie

just wanted to ask who here actually buys music/mvies/tv shows from iTunes??

I've have only bought one song EVER from itunes, i wouldn't disclose where i get my music and movies LOL but just wanted to see were there people here that actually shopped on iTunes

if so, how often to you shopped there? or whats a monthly estimate of money you spend in itunes??

2. adrianblaine macrumors 65816

adrianblaine

All my music/video downloading is through iTunes. I probably spend close to $15 a month I'd say. Sometimes more, sometimes less.

With 3 Billion songs and millions of TV shows downloaded, I'm sure there are lots of people doing it

3. Stampyhead macrumors 68020

Stampyhead

Yep, I buy all my stuff there too. Can't remember the last time I bought a CD or a DVD...
    I've been spending upwards of $75 a month on there lately. I probably should curtail my spending a bit...

4. bocomo macrumors 6502

i would buy a ton but i hate protected aac files! i want to burn compilation mp3 discs for my car dammit

5. shinji macrumors 65816

shinji

I had a gift certificate, and I vaguely remember some promotion where you could win a free song from a soda cap...mountain dew maybe.

That's the only time I've bought anything on iTunes.

6. psychofreak Retired

psychofreak

I bought B-Sides from some bands when I didn't want to buy all the singles, nothing else...

7. bc008 macrumors 68000

bc008

on average with TV and music, between 10 and 20.

8. Jaffa Cake macrumors Core

Jaffa Cake

Same here... if there's an album I'm after then I'll buy it on CD – I just use the iTunes store for interesting looking B-sides or the odd track or two where I don't want to buy the entire album.

9. Nermal Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

I buy albums from iTunes if they're DRM-free, otherwise I buy the CD. I do occasionally buy DRM singles though.

10. timswim78 macrumors 6502a

timswim78

I bought a couple "This American Life" episodes for my wife and two episodes of the office. So, less than $7 spent in our 2 years with iPods.

When I first bought my wife's iPod, I spent about a week ripping her 90+ CD's. It was cool, because I was able to listen to music that I normally wouldn't listen to on my own. I really got to like some stuff by Dave Carter.

11. Kashchei macrumors 65816

Kashchei

Is this a trick question? I can't imagine anyone on this list not having bought at least one thing from iTunes, even just to "kick the tires" and see how well Apple implemented this business model back when it first startet. Am I wrong on this?

12. Jayrod macrumors regular

I have purchased loads of stuff from iTunes. I've bought hundreds of songs, a lot of tv shows, and a few movies. I think the only reason I bought the movies were solely to put them on my iPhone to give myself something to do while traveling.

13. overcast macrumors 6502a

All my music in iTunes comes from my CDs, ripped at lossless. I can't believe people actually spend money on less than CD quality mp3 rips :confused:

14. Stetwin macrumors 6502

Stetwin

I've bought about 50 or so tracks from the iTunes Store to date but with the way music is going these days I see myself spending more time on the iTunes Store and less time in HMV, I buy between 1-3 albums a month on average from other retailers

I know there are other illegitimate programs out there that can be used to acquire music but they have more down sides then there worth in my opinion, you get what you pay for lol! Shame I cant use the music I’ve paid for on things like my phone though :(

/Ste

15. windell79 thread starter macrumors newbie

I don't think its a trick question, I've had my ipod over three years(have over 4000 mp3's) and never purchased one song from itunes. the one song i have downloaded was a freebie Gap jeans offer i downloaded just this year.

so i think its quite capable for ipod/itunes users to not buy from itunes at all. i just wanted to see if there were others like myself that have never bought music/movies(with their own money) from itunes at all

16. kuebby macrumors 68000

kuebby

Same with me. I've never bought anything from iTunes, the only stuff I have was either free (Pepsi) or a gift.

17. Nermal Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

Because most of us think that AAC sounds fine.

18. Bern macrumors 68000

Bern

Of course I buy music videos from iTunes and every now and then I'll purchase a single or cd. I don't mind if they're DRM it's not a big deal.

19. tristan macrumors 6502a

I've bought one Lost episode that my DVR missed. That's it. I get 90% of my TV and music through my digital cable and the rest through netflix. For a while I had my DVR set up to record two hours of digital MTV every day and I'd scan through and watch the videos I liked in about fifteen minutes. I enjoy music but am not really obsessed with it and can go weeks without listening to it.

20. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

I buy a variety of tracks from iTunes.

Singles/B-sides other individual tracks
    Indie bands not carried at my local mega boxes
    Impulse buys. Hear a song in a movie/TV show/radio find and buy.
    Albums by artists I like and want to support that are only available for $12.99 or more on sale.

I've also bought seasons of shows and individual episodes for my kids for which the sub DVD quality and price is fine. Having a favorite show on my iPod has been great for long waits at the doctor's office, etc... The quality is sub DVD, but better than many P2P rips.

B

21. AdeFowler macrumors 68020

AdeFowler

On average I buy 2 albums and about 6 songs a week. That's the joy of it for me... hear a great song, then buy it instantly.

Anyone know who the latest iPod ad music is by (1,2,3,4...) ?

22. brewno macrumors 6502

I bought one song (that disappeared from my iPod on the last crash) and won another from Coke. That's about it. If I could redownload the songs I bought, in cases of crash, I would buy it more often.

23. Luis macrumors 65816

Luis

I have probably bough about 100 songs and 15 tv shows, pretty convenient.

24. zap2 macrumors 604

zap2

Tons...like 500 things right now, but on my iMac G5(before and after a clean install of Tiger), iBook...those thats 4 "purchased" folders...

I'm going to say atleast 1K songs, lots of TV shows and like 30 Music Vidoes

I've stopped buying CDs in store

25. overcast macrumors 6502a

Sorry to hear that.