Who here enjoy building their own PC computers?

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by albertfallickwa, Jun 14, 2015.

1. albertfallickwa macrumors 6502a

albertfallickwa

Honestly I love building my own computers! I create custom PCs for myself and really like the artistry involved in it.

Anyone else?

2. Septembersrain Contributor

Septembersrain

I used to when I was younger, now it's just an extremely time consuming endeavour. With ask the technology available, it's sometimes easier to buy then upgrade.

3. rocknblogger macrumors 68020

rocknblogger

100% yes. I will never ever buy a pre-built PC. Building my own gives me the options of using the BEST components available. Love doing it!!!

4. ardchoille50 macrumors 68020

I've been building my own PC's for a while. I used Linux as my sole OS for 13 years and it taught me more about hardware and software than any other system I had used.

5. lowendlinux Contributor

lowendlinux

Yes I build and mod PC's for both myself and others and I enjoy the heck out of it even if it costs more.

6. Huntn, Jun 15, 2015
    Last edited: Jun 15, 2015

Huntn macrumors G5

Huntn

I built one in 2013 and enjoyed it, wrote a guide. Which just proves, you don't have to be a technical wizard with vast knowledge to build one. See this post. :)

I saved about $200 building one. After making up a parts list a good place for cost comparisons is to check out DigitalStorm.com. PCGamer magazine features many of their ads.

For clarification, I'd say the most time consuming aspect is researching and accumulating parts. Actual build took me two evenings, 5-6 hrs.

7. twietee macrumors 603

twietee

I built one earlier this year. Quite a cakewalk, but nothing too fancy either. Incredible what kind of money you save that way!

8. malman89 macrumors 68000

While I'd like to part pick and build my own, I'm a bit weary about it for two reasons: (1) the patchy quilt of warranties on separate items if something goes wrong and (2) CPU cooling - ??

I've only ever personally owned laptops and the only desktops I've used are at work/school. I'm leaning the Digital Storm route and then just upgrade the graphics card in a few years as needed.

9. aaronvan Suspended

aaronvan

I'm running FreeBSD on my one homebuilt PC. I don't think I saved much money but I certainly enjoyed building it.

10. Huntn, Jun 15, 2015
    Last edited: Jun 15, 2015

Huntn macrumors G5

Huntn

Yes, having a warranty makes a difference. All most 2 years later, and I've had no problems, but if I had issues, I'd either have to fix them myself or go to a local shop and pay. As far as the CPU cooling, specifically liquid cooling, it's a sealed system, no leaks (so far), there is no real wear and tear on the integrity of the hoses, but I understand the apprehension about such an event, a leak inside your computer. :)

I built it because I'm... the descriptor escapes me, technically oriented, like building stuff, familiar with the basics of electrical. I'll emphasize that a PC build is mostly just a modular exercise, plugging stuff together, with a little knowledge which is easily acquired, but acknowledge that for piece od mind, especially if you'd not done basic stuff like upgrade memory or video cards, this is not the best route for probably most people when you have an alternative like Digital Storm. In fact next time I might just go that route because I do like warranties. :)

11. Tomorrow macrumors 604

Tomorrow

I did this zealously for many years, until I started using Macs. I just don't feel like spending the time dicking with it anymore - I just want to turn the thing on and use it.

12. lowendlinux Contributor

lowendlinux

But for some the time dicking with it is the important part not the finished product. I dick with my Jeep all the time and never want it to be finished when it is I’ll probably sell it and find anther to dick with.

13. Tomorrow macrumors 604

Tomorrow

I guess I just reached the point where I would rather drive the Jeep than work on it.

14. hallux macrumors 68020

hallux

When I was gaming, it made great sense to build my own. I could get a more powerful machine for the same or less money. I've built a couple for my dad but for my mom it's pre-built as you just can't save money building an internet/email box compared to some of the stuff out there.