Who here has to charge their iPhone every night?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Lartymarf, Oct 12, 2007.

1. Lartymarf macrumors regular

I unplugged it this morning at 6am, after over night full charge. It is 3:40pm right now.
    I've had 2 hours and 35 minutes of usage so far. (1 hr of phone, 1 hour of edge)
    And 9 hours and 33 minutes of standby time.
    I'm down to 50% charge remaining.

This sucks because by the time I head to bed, I'd have
    to start charging it...

P.S. Bought a week ago, came with firmware 1.1.1

2. Telp macrumors 68040

Telp

That's not good. You should take it back and tell them. Mine gets about 7hrs use (mostly edge, text, phone, and ipod) with 1 day 10 hours(ish) of standby.

3. Lartymarf thread starter macrumors regular

What firmware are you running? I'm guessing 1.0.2?

4. maestro55 macrumors 68030

maestro55

I am using the iPhone a lot throughout the day so I am indeed having to charge it every night while I am sleeping. This isn't a big deal to me even when I was using my razr I was charging it every other day.

5. Lartymarf thread starter macrumors regular

So how many hours of usage do you register on your phone per day?
    (typically)

6. chr1s60 macrumors 68000

chr1s60

I charge mine every night because I know it wouldn't last two full days. I usually have between 3 and 5 hours of use per day though (texting, calls, internet mainly on WiFi, and email). My battery life seems to have dropped some since 1.1.1. My standby time is usually 15-17 hours too. Anyone else see a battery life drop after upgrading to 1.1.1?

7. maestro55 macrumors 68030

maestro55

I have it less than a week so far and so right now I am using it a lot with about 4 hours a day with about another 15 hours of standby. Today though wil probably be more since I have been away from home all day.

8. KittyToy macrumors 6502

KittyToy

I'm on 1.1.1 and i charge it about every 2 - 3 days depending on use, once i went 5 on standby and it still had a full charge.......my usage averages from 3 - 8 hours a day.

9. nickspohn macrumors 68040

nickspohn

Turn wireless off, and especially turn the screen down. That saves a **** load of battery life.

10. Telp macrumors 68040

Telp

Seriously. I have mine at about 25% brightness with autobrightness on.

11. mrtune macrumors 6502a

I always charge mine every night. I won't make it 2 days on one charge. I use it too much.

12. Schmoe0013 macrumors regular

Schmoe0013

i have to charge mine every night. I think i get about 4 hours on wifi instead of the 6. Might be something wrong with my battery, but i have no dead pixels.. so it's not going anywhere!!

13. Lartymarf thread starter macrumors regular

I have wifi turned OFF and the brightness turned down to about
    15-20% of full... and it's not helping ThaT much if any.

14. Lartymarf thread starter macrumors regular

What? Really??? You must have gotten a super iPhone.

15. Macsterling macrumors regular

Macsterling

Wirelessly posted (iPhone: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU like Mac OS X; en) AppleWebKit/420.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.0 Mobile/3A109a Safari/419.3)

although the battery life is a big concern, can't we start an official battery thread on here. It seems that not a day goes by that 3-4 new threads are started everyday about the same issue. I just think it would make things easier for everyone.

I've had 2 phones replaced already due to the battery. I also believe that the people quoting 8 hours plus usage are full of it or just using the iPod music on it. I would like to see pics of that kind of usage with talk time and data info available. I bet most of the ones that claim that dont even own an iPhone and just want to get people all worked up. I've noticed that is the case on these forums that not even half the people on here have iPhones.

16. VoodooDaddy macrumors 65816

Ditto. Dont really understand this obsession with how low the battery is when you go to bed. If you are going to be asleep anyway, charge it. Whats the harm??

17. mcdj macrumors 604

mcdj

Agreed. I bought a second dock for my nightstand. I read some web pages in bed, then charge it, every night.

I don't understand those who want to charge it every 2-3 days. What happens if you need to make a long call at the end of day 2 when you have ~25% battery and you're not near a power source?

This actually doesn't sound so bad to me. Right now I have 2hrs 10 min usage and 10hrs standby. This is after some light web surfing and a dozen or so SMS...no phone calls at all. The phone was taken out of the dock this morning at 8am...it's 6pm now. I have about 60% remaining.

18. AppleIntelRock macrumors 65816

AppleIntelRock

I charge mine every night because... c'mon how hard is it to stick it in the dock? However, when I went on a trip and forgot my charger, I got about two days (about 50 hours) total usage out of it- using it a fair amount (the screen was on low brightness and wifi was off.)

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

19. tdhurst macrumors 68040

tdhurst

Duh

Yep, mine last from the time I get up until I charge it night when I go to bed. Probably lasts longer if I pushed it.

20. AppleIntelRock macrumors 65816

AppleIntelRock

I heard everytime you charge your iPhone, God kills a kitten :eek:... maybe it's just a rumor though!

21. gceo macrumors 6502a

gceo

I charge mine every night. Usually at about 50-60% at the end of the day, but I do consider myself a much heavier than average user. Usually about 2-3 hours of web per day, and 2-3 hours of phone use.

I've been very happy with the performance.... but i do have to charge every day.

22. TurboSC macrumors 65816

TurboSC

yea I usually have about 50%+ when I charge it at night... sometimes during heavy use it holds up pretty well. It's enough for me to get through the day with

23. Macsterling macrumors regular

Macsterling

Wirelessly posted (iPhone: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU like Mac OS X; en) AppleWebKit/420.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.0 Mobile/3A109a Safari/419.3)

I would really like to see that happen. 50hours plus usage??? Wow u beat the Apple testers on this one

24. atavision macrumors member

I'm right there with all the folks who are suffering decreased battery life since updating to 1.1.1 If I had never had the joy of 6-7 hours of multi use with the iPhone I wouldn't be so upset, but now I'm getting maybe 3 or 4 on a good day with the same usage.
    And what's all this talk about turning off WiFi? I have heard that its Edge that drains the battery more, so who's right?
    Maybe the solution is to put the phone in airplane mode and leave it on the shelf?
    I can only imagine how much of a hit the battery power is gonna take when Flash comes to town. God will be killin' two kitties then!

25. megfilmworks macrumors 68020

megfilmworks

I use my iPhone a lot and I can't quite get 2 days use so, I stopped worrying and I cradle it when I go to bed, along with the bluetooth earbud, and I rarely get below 50%. About every other week I have been draining it to 10% and fully recharge.