Who here is keeping their current gen macbook pro?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by jjahshik32, Jul 15, 2008.

  1. jjahshik32 macrumors 603

    Joined:
    Sep 4, 2006
    #1
    Ok dont hate me for posting another one of these, all I want to know is who here is keeping their mbp (not phased at all by nvidia's announcement) and who here is like me trying to sell their mbp for a good price and wait for the montevina mbp with a new gpu (even if itts nvidia, which I dont really care as long as its not defective)?

    As for me, I'm trying to sell the mbp and if it doesnt sell for the price I want I'm going to just keep it for until the apple care is just about to run out within a few months and sell then.
     
  2. hitnrun7 Guest

    Joined:
    Jul 3, 2008
    #2
    Did you see the poll yesterday? when i looked it was 77% of the voters didn't have a defective GPU, yet...

    So i would see no point in selling...
     
  3. jjahshik32 thread starter macrumors 603

    Joined:
    Sep 4, 2006
    #3
    Yea, I actually voted on there too. But still the penryn mbp hasnt been out for so long while the 2007 merom mbp is starting to break down after a full year.
     
  4. DeaconGraves macrumors 65816

    DeaconGraves

    Joined:
    Apr 25, 2007
    Location:
    Dallas, TX
    #4
    If the nvidia issue is as significant and widespread as people are afraid it might be, then it is likely Apple won't just leave everyone in the cold when they all fail (it will be similar to when Microsoft extended the warranties due to the RROD issue).

    That being said, my plan before I bought my current mbp was to keep it until my warranty expired at the end of three years (or longer if its still in good shape). I see no need to exploit the defect to my monetary benefit.
     
  5. jjahshik32 thread starter macrumors 603

    Joined:
    Sep 4, 2006
    #5
    Well said, thats true though if it is that widespread of a problem I'm sure apple will repair the logic boards with the unaffected newly replaced 8600m gt cards/logic boards and we should be ok.

    Hey, you never know maybe nvidia told some truth and only some notebook configurations are affected and our current gen mbp will run for years without any problems.
     
  6. bmcgrath macrumors 65816

    bmcgrath

    Joined:
    Oct 5, 2006
    Location:
    London, United Kingdom
    #6
    I'm keeping it.

    Unless the new MBP is somethin insanely cool.

    If its a MBA on steroids then I'm not so bothered about it
     
  7. mtfield macrumors 6502

    Joined:
    Jan 9, 2008
    #7
    I have a summer '07 macbook pro and plan on waiting until the rumored late '09 Nehalem update.. My computer is still running beautifully and waiting a generation should let all the bugs get worked out of the new design.. (plus the real reason I just don't have the cash :rolleyes:) hoping to see a high res screen on a 15 in model, blue ray, and maybe a SSD option???
     
  8. magallanes macrumors regular

    Joined:
    Jul 12, 2008
    Location:
    South of Jurassic Park
    #8
    for many (if not all) mbp users, to change to another notebook is not a money related trouble but a lot of time spend, to fine tunning your notebook, install, configure and such takes a lot of time, even if you are able to migrate account is still a lot of work.
     
  9. BrownPlopz macrumors regular

    Joined:
    Feb 25, 2008
    Location:
    Behind you, I'm your shadow...
    #9
    There. Sorry if you didn't notice, but I just corrected your statement a bit. It wasn't that big of a mistake, so it's OK. We forgive you :p

    By the way, I'm definately keeping my current-gen MBP, mainly because I've already named her, and so, yeah... (Caresses MBP while saying, "It's OK sweetie, I'm not getting rid of you... It's OK. I for one think that you're insanely great.") :p
     
  10. Techguy172 macrumors 68000

    Joined:
    Feb 2, 2007
    Location:
    Ontario Canada
    #10
    If yours works why sell, I think it's terrible you want to sell your Defective machine to someone because you don't want it.
     
  11. jjahshik32 thread starter macrumors 603

    Joined:
    Sep 4, 2006
    #11
    Even though that the gpu's were announced to be defective... so far my mbp hasnt had any problems and it runs cool and beautifully.

    If my listing ends without a buyer I'm just going to end up keeping it and take the chance. If my machine had a problem or had the logic board replaced already, I would just keep it and try to get the good/newer batches from apple again.
     
  12. Crossbone macrumors regular

    Joined:
    Jan 12, 2008
    #12
    i will be keeping mine. I probably will be getting an MacBook Air soon, not to replace the MBP, but to add on and have both. I will not begetting a replacement for my MacBook Pro until i go to college (3 years, and i will keep this one even then.)
     
  13. TheCookie macrumors regular

    TheCookie

    Joined:
    Jun 9, 2008
    Location:
    Boston
    #13
    My Penryn is just over a month old. I've got AppleCare, so I'm keeping it if and until it fails, confident that Apple will take care of me if necessary.
     
  14. Whorehay macrumors 6502a

    Whorehay

    Joined:
    Feb 17, 2008
    #14
    Same! Waiting patiently for Nehalem :) :)
     
  15. noodle654 macrumors 68020

    noodle654

    Joined:
    Jun 2, 2005
    Location:
    Never Ender
    #15
    I'm keeping mine. I have AppleCare so I am not worried if something happens.
     
  16. jjahshik32 thread starter macrumors 603

    Joined:
    Sep 4, 2006
    #16
    Man talk about apple care being the most important thing right now from apple.
     
  17. CaptainChunk macrumors 68020

    CaptainChunk

    Joined:
    Apr 16, 2008
    Location:
    Phoenix, AZ
    #17
    I'm keeping mine. I need it for work (I'm a video editor).
     
  18. m1stake macrumors 68000

    Joined:
    Jan 17, 2008
    Location:
    Philly
    #18
    This guy nailed it. If you can afford to worry and waste time and switch computers, you obviously do not use it for a living. Until it stops making money, it doesn't need fixing.
     
  19. crobbins macrumors 6502

    Joined:
    Nov 11, 2006
    Location:
    Colorado
    #19
    I used to chase the computer update chain all the time. This go round I've decided to keep it at least two to four years..hopefully :)
     
  20. sammy2066 macrumors 6502a

    Joined:
    Oct 3, 2007
    #20
    I'm waiting for a redesign/refresh to replace my PowerBook G4.

    My late-2007 SR MBP has developed some serious issues .... dead DVD drive, defunct USB ports, overheating, etc.

    I'm hoping Apple replaces it with a current-gen MBP since it's under AppleCare.

    And then I will wait for the B2S promotion to end, to see if there's a refresh.

    On a completely unrelated note ... that SR MBP handles the bulk of my work, it's my primary work machine. So if it does need to be replaced, which of course, I will insist on ... I doubt that Apple will have any refurb SR MBP stock. So do you think I will get a current-gen MBP as a replacement? Or do you think thats wishful thinking?

    Cheers,
    Sam
     
  21. jjahshik32 thread starter macrumors 603

    Joined:
    Sep 4, 2006
    #21
    Well if you want a replacement you will have to send it in for repair 3 times within the apple care period.
     
  22. sammy2066 macrumors 6502a

    Joined:
    Oct 3, 2007
    #22
    Well, I can't have it gone for a week. And these are serious problems ... developed within a year of purchase. So they'd better replace it ...
     
  23. sammy2066 macrumors 6502a

    Joined:
    Oct 3, 2007
    #23
    I concur. Apple has turned into a profit driven, cost cutting firm. Gone are the days when Apple stuff was synonymous with quality. Their QC has been slipping these last few years.
     
  24. valvehead macrumors regular

    Joined:
    Mar 1, 2008
    Location:
    USA
    #24
    I'll hang on to mine for a while. I'm interested in what Nehalem will bring next year, but even then I'll watch from the sidelines for a bit. I don't want to be a rev a early adopter.

    Concerning the current generation, I'll wait and see what Nvidia says. Things are running fine now, and if I decide to keep my MBP for a while then I'll extend my Apple Care. I know it would suck if it does fail, but fortunately I have an older desktop PC I can use if the Mac needs repair.

    No offense to the gamers out there, but I don't really need fast 3D performance. Give me responsive and accurate 2D and drivers that stay out of the way. Nvidia's Windows drivers (even the latest ones) have been too glitchy for me. I had even worse luck with ATI. If only Matrox made mobile chips....
     
  25. UltraNEO* macrumors 601

    UltraNEO*

    Joined:
    Jun 16, 2007
    Location:
    近畿日本
    #25
    Ah, I don't think I'll part with this system. It seems to be functioning without a glitch, everything is just fine!! Then again it's only been 18months... and it's insured. I am however thinking of adding to this cause I need more desktop real-estate, perhaps invest into a 8core MacPro? I dunno... still thinking.
     

Share This Page