Who here is not digging Apple's new direction?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by gothamm, Oct 18, 2010.

1. gothamm macrumors 6502a

Apple is ignoring OSX for iOS. Some say its true, others think its hogwash.

But you can not deny that apple has definitely been shifting its focus to iOS. This whole year, we have not seen a single new mac product besides the mac mini. Heck, even WWDC's focus shifted to iOS. Yes, I know they are previewing 10.7 on wed. Yes, new macbook air. But still, I think as the years pass, OSX will gradually fade into the background.

You can't really blame apple for shifting its focus, from a business standpoint. This is just a post to predicting that OSX will be taking the backseat in the near future, if it already hasn't.

2. adiddas125 macrumors member

Or apple is choosing to focus their media hype directed onto iOS since that is the emerging market...

Desktop/Laptop market right now as I see it is quite stable and has been out for a while.

3. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

2007 called, it wants its complaints back.

Seriously, you're just noticing that Apple has shifted it's focus? That's been happening since Leopard's delayed release.

4. deeesea macrumors 6502

Agree with you, that and the slew of dumbass product's they've been releasing. seriously...magic mouse, that thing is so unergonomic, and the magic trackpad is just stupid altogether. Why would anyone want to use a trackpad instead of a mouse? and the previous generations ipod shuffle. bah. I guess they are "thinking different" :rolleyes:

5. menomano macrumors member

WTH are you talking about? no new products this year? how about new MBP,MB, Mac Pro, IMac, Display, Mac mini.
    :rolleyes:

6. thejadedmonkey macrumors 604

thejadedmonkey

I haven't liked the direction Apple's been going in since the G4 days...

G4 Cube, G4 Powerbook, G4 ibook, they were timeless. The current crop of computers aren't any different from Dell or HP's.

7. iPhone1 macrumors 65816

iPhone1

Apple is simply venturing out into different aspects of the tech marketplace. The average consumere simply does not want to pay the premium price for a Mac. Instead of trying to spend all of their time gaining market share in the PC world they chose to pursue mobile.

While it seems that iOS is taking over, Apple is simply striking while the market is hot. Apple's event on Wednesday will surely appease those of us who are sick and tired of hearing about the iPhone/iPad. I imagine once they announce the new MacBook Air, iLife '11 and Mac OS X Lion, most Mac users will be pleased.

I love all of the iOS devices but it's time for Apple to bring back the Mac.

8. lilcosco08 macrumors 65816

lilcosco08

Only the mac mini?

Let's see
    In order...

Macbook pro
    Macbook
    Mac Mini
    iMac
    Mac Pro
    (Air on 20th)

9. George Knighton macrumors 6502a

George Knighton

I'm beginning to move to Apple from the Dell XPS line of desktops and notebooks.

To me, there seems to be a huge difference between Apple and Dell.

10. puma1552 macrumors 601

Who would've thought the ol' AOL honda-techer would find their way here?:)

11. Blu101 macrumors 6502a

Blu101

Seems to me they're shifting focus back to the mac as we speak...give'em a break, they've been busy little bees these last couple of years, plus the Mac is a much more developed product line than iOS devices, so they don't need as much attention per se.

12. GimmeSlack12 macrumors 603

GimmeSlack12

I really have little problem with Apple's "focus". They are striking while the iron's hot in the mobile phone industry and mobile computing market. They're winning too. I agree that OS X updates could be more often, but ultimately they are staying pretty true to their main software components (iTunes, Quicktime, Safari, iLife, Pro Media Apps, etc.).
    It's a software world these days, the megahertz war is over.

13. vant macrumors 65816

Steve Jobs can only focus his attention on so many products.

And judging by the look of Apple's financials, he is doing a damn good job.

14. AdamRock macrumors 6502a

AdamRock

well idk what you mean by shifted focus to ios because they clearly have an event called back to mac this Wednesday.

15. Blu101 macrumors 6502a

Blu101

I moved from Dell to Apple last week. No regrets whatsoever! Should've done it a looooong time ago, woulda saved me lots of frustration and aggravation! Oh well, better late than never :)

16. DJ-R macrumors regular

Apple development team aren't huge as you think. They need everyone to focus one thing at a time. They follow what's the communities interested in.

Simply OSX is nearly a perfect OS but there are still bugs. Right now iOS is nearly a perfect mobile OS as well. So yeah, of course now they are heading back to Mac platform. Given each products a turn in software development.

17. entatlrg macrumors 68040

entatlrg

Yes, definitely noticed the shift in focus.

Great and exciting for the average consumer user, can't have enough cool gadgets.

But, for people who use Mac's for work or content creation and like the latest and greatest spec's in a notebook or desktop it's been damn disappointing I'm sorry to say. And, this trend started shortly after I switched my whole company over to Mac's, in the last 18 months we've spent 6 figures on Apple's products, not bad for a small company.

I've got one foot out the door with my new Sony Z which I'm loving, plug it into a Dell Ultrasharp and you've got a great desktop with no reflections either ... I'm a mobile person who needs/wants a powerful, light computer unfortunately as today that's the area Apple is lacking in the most.

What happens on Wednesday will play a big role in the direction we take.

With Apple and it's somewhat closed system you have to buy into the whole idea, appreciate the hardware they make along with the software, simplicity and how everything seems to work together.

It is cool and fun to have an iPhone 4, an iPad, MacBook Air and Mac Pro with ACD's ... use the Pro for heaving lifting, desktop use, the Air for traveling, iPad for casual work and iphone on the go ... that's a lot of gadgets and keeping things in sync ...

Fact is I'm learning fast my Sony Z with an 3G usb stick does all of the above and much better than some of Apples options ... more important to me than the saved money is using only one device is true simplicity no syncing and no sacrificing. I ALWAYS have a full power computer with me, no worries about flash, having a good keyboard, ports and everything I need whether on the couch, travel, desk, that's simplicity, I'm beginning to love it.

Apple needs to do something stunning Wednesday. I hope they do.

18. QuarterSwede macrumors G3

QuarterSwede

I did like the G4 PowerBook's design better than the current black and aluminum MacBooks but you simply can't argue that the G4's is built better than the Unibody MacBooks. It's no contest that the Unibody has superior engineering.

Exactly. OS X hadn't been worked on much because almost everyone was working on iOS. Apple doesn't run it's teams like Microsoft does.

19. paolo- macrumors 6502a

I think you are right, I think iOS has gained enough maturity to slow it's development down a little.

Mind you I expect quite a bit from the 20th. I don't think apple would do a release with just a slight speed bump on the MBA, 10.7 and iLife. There's has to be something bigger than that. I think we'll see some talk about openCL, that was one of the main points of 10.6 and we haven't seen much real world apps using it.

Maybe new versions of Logic and Final Cut? Both are almost two year old now. New mac pro design? that thing dates back to the PowerMac G5, 2003. Either way, I don't see apple doing a release and calling it back to the mac with just what that is currently rumored, they could just silently update the MBA and wait a couple of months to announce 10.7 at an other event as it probably won't be coming out for a while either way.

20. GregAndonian macrumors 6502

I agree with you. Hopefully wednesday will really be about cool Mac stuff, and not just talk about new ways the Mac will fit into the iOS ecosystem...

21. Hal Itosis macrumors 6502a

Hal Itosis

Who posts an OS discussion in a hardware forum?
    [or, does this pertain to MacBook Pro users only?]

22. Beric macrumors 68020

Beric

I've mostly switched to PC now from Mac (like OS X, but prefer PC hardware). However, I really like iOS. So yeah, I have no problem with Apple's new focus. Apple is not trying to expand their computer market share as much as their mobile device market share though, as is plain to see.

23. George Knighton macrumors 6502a

George Knighton

It has been more than ten years. :)

24. Tyler76 macrumors member

Tyler76

25. snouter macrumors 6502a

I don't think Apple is wrong. They are betting the farm on smaller, more iOS and mobile type apps in the future. They have a significant first mover advantage so far, first with the iPod, which turned into the Touch, and with the iPhone and iPad.

A lot of people won't even really use a laptop and most certainly, not a desktop going forward. We already joke that our sales team probably only uses their laptop once a week.

Computers are much more powerful now than MOST people need. I do 3d and compress video, and others process audio, and for us, computers will never be too powerful. For most other folks, will they even notice or care if their 13" has a Core 2 Duo or an i3? That's a geek thing, and geeks forget that 90% of the people out there are not geeks.

What is gone is Apple no longer seems to care about the bleeding edge of desktop technology. My MBP and the new MacPro do not have USB3, even though its arrival in imminent. My MBP was months late, long after PCs had already had the i5, i7 dual and i7 quad laptop chips. Bothered me, most other people could have cared less. This is reflected in their sales numbers across the board.

The only people that should be upset are Final Cut Pro users. That software captured the market, and now Apple is pretty much letting it rot on the vine.

I just had lunch with Steve Jobs and Peter Oppenheimer and they really did not seem to care about this issue very much. The future is in the cloud and in accessing the cloud with lighter weight devices. Desktops and laptops have their place, but, that place is not at the fore anymore.