Who Here Still Has A uMBP?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by vr4playa, Jan 19, 2017.

1. vr4playa macrumors member

I'm typing this now on a 4.5yr old uMBP with 16GB RAM and 500GB SSD. The thing I love the most about the MB's I have owned is it seems like even at the 5yr mark they still keep up with any Windows laptop and while searching for a new laptop for my dad I was horrified to find that a lot are still in the 4-8GB range with only a few of the $800+ options offering even a lowly 128/256GB SSD.

Anyone else still on a uMBP? If so, do you plan on going to a rMBP anytime soon and if so, are there any aftermarket options for RAM / storage? I know when I bought my wife's rMBP in May '15 there were none and we were "stuck" with an 8GB/128 SSD model.

2. BarracksSi Suspended

BarracksSi

I'm still on a mid-2012 with a 1TB HD. I totally dig the new models, but I'm having a hell of a time justifying an upgrade. I don't even make mine work hard enough to sweat.

I had gotten a 500GB put into my 2007, and I didn't want a new one unless I could also get more storage. Come 2012, I saw how expensive the SSD options were in the unibody and the just-introduced Retina models (none of which came with a traditional platter HD), so I figured I should jump on the 1TB 2012 model as it appeared to be the last of its breed.

These days, a terabyte's worth of SSD is still friggin' expensive, so I'm thinking of what I really "need" onboard and what files — mostly movies.. ahem — I could either store on an external or delete outright.

3. Ampidire macrumors 6502

Ampidire

Yeah, Mid-2012 15" here, the optical drive has long since failed so I put a second HDD in the optical drive bay. Ivy Bridge or newer machines have minimal performance losses compared to even the most modern hardware. The primary differences we can't access through hardware upgrades are connectivity upgrades that are platform based (USB-C/3.1G2/TB3/PCI-E NVMe SSD/etc.).

I'm shopping for a new machine, I would have been perfectly happy with a 2016 MBP that was the rMBP chassis with modern hardware, that's what I wanted..

4. capathy21 macrumors 65816

capathy21

Ram is soldered to the board so what you buy at time of purchase is permanent. There are 3rd party options for replacement sad's. They are obviously much more expensive than traditional ssd's since they are blades and not 3.5.

5. aevan macrumors 68020

aevan

I have to ask - what is an uMBP? I guess you're talking about the pre-retina MacBook Pro, but I'm not sure what the U stands for? UXGA resolution?

6. GoldfishRT macrumors 6502

GoldfishRT

I think in this instance 'u' would stand for unibody.

And I've got mine. I bought it new less than a year ago. It does its job fine. Most of the time its job is sitting closed on my desk at home though. It's well equipped, i7, 16GB of ram, 500GB SSD. It's a good machine. The screen is absolute garbage though. I don't think it was that good when it was new and it's certainly the most disappointing aspect of using one in 2016. Frankly, the performance is fine. I can't remember the last time the fan even kicked up on it. The thing is still beautiful, rock solid reliable, heavy as a brick, and in many ways more computer than I need. However, I didn't think it looked particularly dated compared to the 2012-2015 Retina models but it looks like a dinosaur compared to the new ones.

In any case I kind of wish I had reasons to use it more. I really didn't expect the iPad to dominate my normal computing like it has. It's just so much easier to carry around.

7. Chancha, Jan 20, 2017
    Last edited: Jan 20, 2017

Chancha macrumors 6502a

U stands for unibody. When this design was new, it was named this way to be identified from the previous aluminum MBPs which had conventional mutli-piece chassis, particularly the removable battery.

I myself still keep around a 2011 13" MBP for swiss-knife purpose. Running 10.6.8 on it, having an optical drive, having firewire and ethernet, this machine can handle any emergency or as a general purpose problem solving machine. The user accessible RAM and HDD bay is also great as it means I can always swap in new replacement / upgrades long after the warranty is gone. The only part really behind the times is the non-retina screen, which is not a deal breaker for most purposes.

But I do own a 2015 maxed out 15", so I can have those missing modern features on that machine, so I suppose if someone can only own one mac then the uMBPs are not something I would recommend nowadays.

8. oldmacs macrumors 68040

Love my Mid 2012 Non Retina Pro to death. When Apple replaced mine with a retina pro (in warranty) I sold the retina pro and bought another Mid 2012 Pro (This as about a year and a half ago), but this time put a 1TB SSD and bought the i7 version. Love that I can expand it, love that it has an ethernet and firewire port, love that it has an optical drive (use it all the time), love that it has the battery light indicator and a semi replaceable battery. Probably the last Apple Laptop I will buy. Could have possibly forced myself onto the Retina MacBook Pro, but the touch bar ones are hopeless in my opinion.

9. Samuelsan2001 macrumors 604

The SSD and the ram are not upgradeable at all on the new 2016 MacBook pros. The previous retinas could have an SSD upgrade but they were very expensive almost impossible to find and just second hand from other machines. If upgradeability is important to you the. Do not buy Apple computers i that simple.

10. elf69 macrumors 68020

elf69

I have a pre unibody pro which is great.
    17" model. love it very much.

it just too heavy to cart back and forth work and bit too big.

settled on 2010 macbook for moment as cannnot afford anything else.

11. leman macrumors G3

I have some in the office which we use as replacement/emergency machines. Its a quite an effort every time I have to work with one. Washed out screens, unergonomically thick body, awkward keyboard...

12. Patrick-Photo macrumors regular

I just upgraded from my 2011 15" with a 2.2gHz i7 - 16GB ram, 256GB SSD and Radeon 6750m. I did a clean installation of MacOS Sierra and handed it to my mom because her old Asus notebook was giving in after a couple of resuscitation attempts. My old MacBook Pro got a new logic board last July so I hope she can have a few good years with it :).

13. jerryk macrumors 68040

I am confused. I thought the unibody mbp was the one with the round metal power button. And the one after that, up to the 2012 13 mbp, was the classic mbp.

14. willmtaylor macrumors G3

willmtaylor

We do, but only bring it out for emergencies. The battery had failed/swollen multiple times, so now we simply use it plugged in ad hoc.

15. JackieInCo macrumors 601

In June of 2015, I bought a 2015 15" MBP and in July 2015, bought a 2012 non retina 13" MBP. I bought the 2012 mostly just because I could upgrade the RAM and it also has a DVD/CD ROM drive. I use the 2015 as my daily use here at home and the 2012 maybe once or twice a month. The battery on my 2012 has about 13 or 14 cycles and the 2015, 16 cycles.

I have no plans to put an SSD in the 2012 but that doesn't mean I won't.

16. Queen6 macrumors 603

Queen6

Early 2008 MBP, Mid 2011 MBP, 2012 Retina MBP, 2014 Retina MBP (13"), 2015 Retina MacBook, Surface Book o_O too many Apple's and the odd Pear :)

Admittedly some are retired, although still in the family. The rest down the road & history.

Q-6

17. c.s. macrumors regular

c.s.

My daughter uses my old 2009 15" uMBP for school and Minecraft. I put in a SSD a few years ago and I'm amazed how well it has aged! I'd say the performance is comparable to my 12-inch Macbook. Only downside is she can't upgrade the OS anymore.

18. willmtaylor macrumors G3

willmtaylor

I
    Interesting thoughts, Mr. Lewis. You've given me something to chew on (as you have many times over the years).

19. wakemac macrumors member

I have a 2009 13" and a 2012 15", both with upgraded RAM and SSD. The 2012 is used everyday and still works flawlessly. I have the 2009 to my daughter for school work and it's given her no problems.

20. elf69 macrumors 68020

elf69

If it has penryn CPU then can run sierra with the patch tool.
    --- Post Merged, Jan 20, 2017 ---
    With no battery does it not run slow?
    my pre unibody ran slow and usb ports underpowered.

is this not true of the unibody units?

21. willmtaylor macrumors G3

willmtaylor

Yes, it's slow, but I couldn't tell you whether that has anything to do with the power source (or lack thereof).

22. elf69 macrumors 68020

elf69

my own 2007 17" pro was dreadfully slow without battery and unable to use usb hdd.
    new but cheap battery and all is good again.

i read somewhere that psu alone not able to fully power machine under load so it slows down without a working battery.

love my 17" pro but too big and heavy to commute with

23. BarracksSi Suspended

BarracksSi

By "unibody", they mean that the most of the case is machined from a single piece of aluminum. Older ones, like my 2007, had a then-typical sandwich type of construction with separate pieces for the top of the case, the edge, and the underside.

24. Spectrum macrumors 6502a

Spectrum

The battery thing is true - it needs to be installed for some reason.

Enjoy the 17" while it lasts! A few months ago my 2008 17" gave up the ghost (logic board failure, makes a nasty whine when you boot it and gets really hot!).
    Was a great machine as a desktop replacement for home.

On the topic of the thread. I use a 2011 15" MBPro for travelling. HiRes, matte screen, 8 GB RAM and 512 SSD installed aftermarket. This machine was soooo slow when I first got it compared to the 17" and due to the lack of an SSD (which I'd also put into the 17"). I dont' do much taxing on it, and when it dies, I'll actually probably replace with a rMB 12" for the portability. I now have a 4K iMac at home, so I'm not as interested in the new rMBPros anymore (which used to be my only computers).

At work I use a 2011 i7 quad core mac mini + SSD.

By the way - apart from the new 4K iMac, all the rest run Snow Leopard 10.6.8 :)

25. smirking macrumors 6502a

I'm still thriving on a mid-2012 uMBP. I've had to replace the WiFi card and I've upgraded the HD to a 2TB SSD and this thing still runs great, but... it's my last day on it because my max spec tbMBC is arriving today. I'm giving this up because my 10 year old 30" ACD is showing its age and so am I. The eyestrain is hurting my productivity and reading comprehension so I held out as long as I could until a 5K monitor capable MBP came out. I'm not thrilled about the new MBPs, but they have the one feature I've been dying for so off I go.