Who here thinks Arn should start a new site: iPhone Rumors dot com

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by TheSpaz, Aug 3, 2009.

?

Should there be a separate iPhone Rumors site?

1. Yes

17 vote(s)
    17.2%
  2. No

82 vote(s)
    82.8%
  1. TheSpaz macrumors 604

TheSpaz

What do you think? It seems like all the Apple fan websites are 90% iPhone and 10% Mac now-a-days.

The iPhone has really blown up all over the world. I think we need to separate it from the Mac because it's not a Mac, it's a phone. Apple doesn't only make Macintosh computers you know.

There should be an iPhone Rumors website that is 100% iPhone news and 0% Mac news. What do you think?

2. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

I don't.
    Not enough to really sustain an actual site imho.

3. -aggie- macrumors P6

-aggie-

I don't and think things should stay the same. From a quick scan, it looked like 50% were iPhone viewing the MR site though.

4. stridemat Moderator

stridemat

Staff Member

I spend too much time as it is on this website without having to check another one...

5. mak10 macrumors regular

I have a vbulletin license sitting around doing nothing, if anyone really wants to start an iPhone rumors type website based forum I'd be down haha. But I'm pretty sure there are a million other websites out there doing the same thing, and this site is pretty large to compete with so it's probably not worth it.

6. Interstella5555 macrumors 603

Interstella5555

Wouldn't that be like having a Wii site with no other mention of Nintendo news? I mean, the wii site exists BECAUSE of Nintendo, not despite it; the news is kind of integrated.

7. SFStateStudent macrumors 604

SFStateStudent

There's MR and everything else gets linked within MR Forums; I haven't the time nor the inclination to venture outside of MR on a regular basis. Thanks anyway....

8. ct2k7 macrumors 603

ct2k7

9. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

It has to be decided on whether or not there is a target demographic that is so segregated to just the iPhone that it would make Arn want to draw traffic away from this site to another. I see more profit in keeping things as they are more so than I see a spin-off site. You must consider that despite what anyone may believe this is a company too and overall the idea screams bad business model.

10. gilkisson macrumors 65816

gilkisson

Now, if there was another site, like www.OMG.My.MMS.isWorkingHAHAHA.com or like that, where all those posts could go, I'd say yes, please.

But, no. MR is enough for me.

11. brn2ski00 macrumors 68020

brn2ski00

12. -aggie- macrumors P6

-aggie-

However, it might be a good site to send the banned members and other less desirable members (and I don't consider the OP to be one of those, before anyone suggests it). :) It could be a site where everyone just bitches at each other. And no mods!

13. TheSpaz thread starter macrumors 604

TheSpaz

I used to go to iPod touch Fans forums, but I didn't like the people there. I remember though, there was a forum for almost EVERYTHING for the iPod touch.

They have a sub forum for almost every little thing... which was cool because when you discussed something, you had a general idea that the people who were viewing it were also running the same software/configuration as your question:

Look here:

http://www.ipodtouchfans.com/forums/

MacRumors could do something similar and break the iPhone forums into more subforums than there are now.

14. RandomKamikaze macrumors 6502a

RandomKamikaze

As others have said, No

IMO there is nothing wrong with what we have got

15. chstr macrumors 6502a

chstr

I think this would seriously endanger thespaz's health, since he already spends about 23 hours/day on MR.

16. QCassidy352 macrumors G3

QCassidy352

no, this system is working just fine. I know people complain there's too much iphone news, but that's just because that's what's out there. It's not like there's a lot of mac news that this site is ignoring to focus on iphone news.

17. Eso macrumors 68000

Eso

Maybe you should start your own iPhone-only news site (or mac-only news site if you prefer) instead.

..please?

18. curly14 macrumors regular

curly14

now johnny play nice !! remember what you mom said if you can't say anything nice then just beat the other kid up...lol j/k the spaz fans are going to hunt you down:D

19. LizKat macrumors 68040

LizKat

Yep I voted no, too. There is always some stuff wrong with any site, so probably with what we have here, but it would be the same stuff on another site so why double the trouble and increase the expenses?

When I see stuff I'm not interested in, I don't finish reading it. I like iPhones but I'm not obsessed by them. I skip over a lot of it with as much aplomb as I ignore stuff about Mac Pro machines. I probably wouldn't even go to a MacRumors-iPhones site. And the mods back at the original ranch would go nuts trying to enforce the separation.

20. Small White Car macrumors G4

Small White Car

If you're just thinking iPhone vs. Mac here and now then I can see your point.

But looking forward:

iPod Touch - iPhone - Tablet? - Macbooks

Where exactly do you draw the line? And iPods and iPhones will only get more advanced so the software on all these devices will become more and more similar to what's on a Mac. I'd say that in 5 years there will be 10% of the population who only uses a smartphone or tablets and doesn't even own a laptop or desktop.

The further you go into the future, the more the line will blur. Deciding what goes on which site will become a nightmare.

21. TheSpaz thread starter macrumors 604

TheSpaz

22. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

Don't let them get you down, TheSpaz.

23. TheSpaz thread starter macrumors 604

TheSpaz

I'm not down. I guess I don't mind too much going to MacRumors to read about the iPhone.

Do you think we could at least get some more detailed categories?

24. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

Oh, I see where this is going. You want your own sub-forum in the iPhone section of the site. We could call it TehSpaz™