Who in their right mind will buy a 17" MBP now?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by shyfidelity, Oct 15, 2008.

1. shyfidelity macrumors newbie

Unless I'm wrong, for $300 extra you get 2 inches of screen real estate and far worse hardware in every other sense.

2. crobbins macrumors 6502

To some I think that extra screen real-estate is worth it...To me, no, but I know people who needs that much space and still some portability.

3. aquajet macrumors 68020

I don't think your opinion that the 17" hardware is "far worse" is accurate. As is generally the case, the new model is an incremental step up for the old. Nothing that can be done with today's model, can't be done with yesterday's.

4. Loge macrumors 68020

Loge

Actually you get a 78% increase in screen real estate. And you get and extra FW and USB port. And your choice of matte/glossy screen.

Having said that I'm still leaning towards the new model (and upgrading to the new 17" when it is finally ready).

5. nick9191 macrumors 68040

Matte display, 1920 x 1200 instead of 1440 x 900, 2 FW, arguably nicer design.

Anyone with common sense me thinks.

6. Freewayjim macrumors regular

Freewayjim

I'm considering it.

I'm not crazy about the new "look" and I don't like the idea of losing ports for no good reason from a machine that for it's class & price is a bit skimpy on ports to begin with.

Is Apple still sticking faulty Nvidia 8600M GT graphics cards in an "updated machine" ? If so isn't there something leagally or morally wrong with that?

7. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

That'll knock out a bunch of potential customers. ;)

8. UltraNEO* macrumors 601

UltraNEO*

What you define as 'worst hardware' only refers to the GFX chip I'd assume?
    Personally, I'd prefer to having a Santa Rosa based machine. In many ways it better than a nVidia one, but that's my opinion

Since I have no interests in games, I'm picking mine up in about six-eight hours!! :D

2.6Ghz MacBookPro 17
    4Gb Ram,
    320Gb HD (soon to be 500Gb)
    Matte 1920 by 1200 LED display,

1 x FW400, 1 x FW800, 3 x USB2, 1 x DVI
    and AppleCare

all for a little over 340,000JPY

BARGAIN! :)

Also ordered the Panasonic UJ-225-B BDR Slim slot-loader

9. tranceteria macrumors newbie

Hmmm,
    Personally I'll wait until they upgrade the 17" model. And I don't know if I'm missing some info, but I don't understand why they forgot about poor old 17". I much prefer a bigger screen, and don't think that the current revision is that bad! I'll just wait until they finally add Blu-Ray!

10. UltraNEO* macrumors 601

UltraNEO*

Apple didn't forget, the MBP 17's refresh isn't due yet! And i'm very doubtful that Apple will jump onto the Blu-Ray path due to licensing costs. However, users who need it for mass-storage can buy it as a aftermarket addon

11. shyfidelity thread starter macrumors newbie

Just for fun I whittled down Apple's comparison chart to just the distiguishing features...

[​IMG]

So the pro's (no pun intented) of the 17'' appear to be larger screen, optional matte screen finish, and an extra firewire port.

The cons are slower CPU speed, slower frontside bus, slower RAM, older graphics card, weaker body construction, larger footprint, heavier, and a $300 wallet hit.

I could never justify buying the 17'' model at this point, but I guess every product has its customer.

12. UltraNEO* macrumors 601

UltraNEO*

Living in Japan, $300 is nothing!
    A ticket for the movies averages around $20-25 here!
    I can spend the rest on a nightout with a couple of friends drinking,
    eating and having fun!! Or fitter it away at the pachinko parlor within an hour.

Anyway, just brought a nice Gitzo GT1540T tripod for $580!
    [​IMG]

FYI: In Japan, you can easily spend a million yen, in a single club! That's 10,000 US$ for you!

13. zer0tails macrumors 65816

zer0tails

congrats. Great laptop, even better deal.

14. markrivers macrumors 6502a

markrivers

some people, actually use their MBP for something else, aside from showing it off.. meaning FUNCTION before FASHION!

seriously, not everyone buy their Laptop based on what's the shiniest and the brightest... contrary to popular belief..

my brother just bought the previous MBP yesterday...
    1. for the Matte Screen
    2. for the powerbook keyboards
    3. great savings!

15. UltraNEO* macrumors 601

UltraNEO*

Thanks dude.

Recently I notice moving between a MacPro dual 2.8 and my 2.2SR, things feel a little slow, perhaps too slow!! It kinda frustrating at times, you know? Anyway, I thought I'd buy a new machine for a while but kinda silently held off for the new creatures to arrive.

After a little digging around, it'll actually cost me not to buy now, simply because most people suspect the new MBP17 won't have a featured DVI port as standard. For me, the lack of DVI port means i'll have to invest in some other gimmick to work things out and it's necessary when you use an Cintiq 21ux tablet. So I'd gone back with aluminium clamshell, which I like and gotten comfy with... maybe it's less sturdy but who cares? This beast compliments my existing MacPro down to the TEE! and works with my existing equipment without more junk in my bag!

16. UltraNEO* macrumors 601

UltraNEO*

Yeah? Well For Fun have a gaze in my lovely 30" ACD!

[​IMG]

attached to my
    That's been slightly upgraded... There's also a 3TB RAID5 system inside, plus an uncapped optical fibre connection....
    [​IMG]

still whining about $300 bucks?

17. Teej guy macrumors 6502a

All of that and you have tiny little speakers?

Good choice in dental floss though...fantastic product.

18. UltraNEO* macrumors 601

UltraNEO*

Yeah!! Hehe.. I like them, they're cute!

19. Nitrocide macrumors 6502

Nitrocide

I dont understand what your trying to say/prove with this. Everyone isnt on the same wage, 300 dollars may not be a big deal to you but to generally the masses it does. I personally spend £20 on my food shopping per week and the same for going out, so to me $300 (£150) is almost a months food and going out. Its all relative therefore some people do have a right to care surely?

20. UltraNEO* macrumors 601

UltraNEO*

if you read the above you might noticed I brought a slight out of date MBP17. The $300 is the difference in cost between the newly released MBP15 with it's tiny screen and the MPB17.

21. Nitrocide macrumors 6502

Nitrocide

It was more the reiteration, but fair enough! You buy what you need, thats definitely common sense .

22. Nitrocide macrumors 6502

Nitrocide

Well done on escaping the UK btw, what part are you from?

23. UltraNEO* macrumors 601

UltraNEO*

the great NorthWest... but now in Kinki Japan :)

24. RandiC macrumors member

The new books are out 1 day and you know the old hardware is worse?

25. dougnewman macrumors 6502

"Far worse" hardware is a bit much, no? The new ones are more likely to be an incremental improvement.

If you can handle the size the 17" MBP remains one of the best notebooks in the world. The 1920x1200 display is spectacular.

I love the 17", I just won't buy one because I need my notebook to be more portable than that. 15" is the biggest I can deal with.