Who installed Snow Leopard without a hitch?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by tecknical, Sep 3, 2009.

1. tecknical macrumors regular

Just wondering since I see all these thread on the forums about Snow Leopard problems, who here installed it 100% error-free?

I did a clean install (after I wiped my HDD) and I've been having no problems so far. Even did a Time Machine restore and I'm still good...

2. Switz213 macrumors 6502

Me, along with most people. People who have normal installs have no reason to post which is why everyone thinks SL has so many problems on these boards.

And yes, mine was an upgrade.

3. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

Some reasons why people have problems:

- Upgrade installation
    - 64-bit kernel, not supported
    - 3rd party apps that are unsupported

Without those, you shouldn't have any

4. TuffLuffJimmy macrumors G3

TuffLuffJimmy

I just clicked through the installer. I was going to go back and do an archive and install, but I don't see a need for it since so far my machine has been working flawlessly.

5. fehhkk macrumors 6502a

fehhkk

I also think that whomever had a screwed up Leopard system running, and tried to upgrade, also experienced problems. If your system was running Leopard fine, and you upgraded, you shouldn't have issues.

6. broken-chaos macrumors regular

broken-chaos

Clean install, only had minor issues with third party programs (though I checked compatibility on most prior to upgrading) and a few extremely minor bugs.

7. gr8tfly macrumors 603

gr8tfly

I upgraded 2 machines (upgrade install) without problem. As others have mentioned, it was hardly noticeable [at first] that anything had happened at all.

After a trouble-free install, I did find 3 incompatible apps - two of them already working on fixes (iGlasses, Cosmopod). Also, noticed 1 "nit" and 1 actual bug (display of power/battery icon when using a UPS).

8. rfrankl macrumors 6502

9. Fry-man22 macrumors 6502

Fry-man22

Upgrade from 10.5.6 to the beta of 10.6 (build 300 something) - applied updates released by Apple until GM release - upgraded 10.6 421a to current 10.6.

No issues at all with the production release - even the betas weren't bad but the retail has been rock solid for me.

10. dbwie macrumors 6502

Install went very smoothly, only a couple of minor bugs related to third party software incompatibilities, all of which have been fixed with software updates.

11. wankey macrumors 6502a

12. Stiss macrumors 6502a

13. gwmac macrumors member

gwmac

Now I have a fix for firefox yes 2 machines without a murmur, but I was pretty upset about firefox

14. mslide macrumors 6502a

No problems here. I did a fresh install. I'm also not using the 64-bit kernel, nor did I even attempt to use it. I wasn't expecting many problems but I was a little surprised as to how painless everything was.

15. RMXO macrumors 6502a

I went out and bought a new Seagate 500GB 7200 RPM HDD to install SL on and did a fresh install (create a new 1 partition & format). Everything went smoothly, the only disappoint I had was waiting for some 3rd party programs to get updated for SL.

16. IgnatiusTheKing macrumors 68040

IgnatiusTheKing

The first install on my Air actually failed because some of the files didn't get copied over, so when it rebooted and lost connection with the DVD drive it was sharing, it couldn't find them. I just restarted the install and it went through without issue the second time. It's run perfectly since.

17. cjacks68 macrumors regular

cjacks68

I upgraded and everything has been working flawlessly for me.

18. sputacus macrumors regular

Upgrade went just fine. The only problem I've seen is my VMware Fusion Windows XP will occasionally lock-up. Pressing the Spaces key will free it up. In light of the increased performance I have with SL, it is something I can live with. A couple of 3rd party apps are not working, but updates are in the works.

Overall, very pleased with the upgrade.

19. ehurdler macrumors member

Clean install for myself as well, no problems thus far.

20. Molnies macrumors member

I did an upgrade, and was thinking that if there were any problems I would do a fresh install then — but so far so good, haven't had a single problem yet at least.

21. CIA macrumors 6502a

5 machines (family pack), only issue being a logitech mouse driver only partially working. (LCC control panel). Logitech said 3.0 will be SL compatible and should be out in about 2 weeks.
    Besides that, smooth sailing.

22. darbyclash34 macrumors regular

I've done a clean install on a second partition, and it has been awesome! The improved responsiveness of my computer makes me feel like I got a new machine. Now the long wait until Digidesign gives me the green light for Pro Tools....

23. sidewinder macrumors 68020

sidewinder

You did an "archive and install" if you did the default install.

S-

24. gwangung macrumors 65816

Hm. Upgraded without a hitch. System is smoother and a tad more responsive.

What am I doing wrong?

25. sidewinder macrumors 68020

sidewinder

I am in the same boat and can't figure it out.....

S-