Who is buying the 4th gen Ipad then?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by The Game 161, Oct 23, 2012.

1. The Game 161 macrumors P6

The Game 161

Those with an ipad 2 buying guessing not many are upgrading from the 3rd.

2. kappaknight macrumors 68000

kappaknight

Believe it or not, there's a huge segment of the population that just walks into the Apple store and pickup whatever is on the shelves; never realizing whether it's the 3, or the 4, or that the 4 is coming out in a couple of weeks.

3. gadget123 macrumors 68000

Ipad 1 owners looking to upgrade.

New people on the market wanting a entry price £399 16GB retina tablet.

Maybe people buying a second one for someone else in the family.

Ipad 2 > Ipad 3 owners have little to upgrade to.

4. Braniff747SP macrumors 6502

Braniff747SP

I'm one of those 1st gen owners... And frankly, I'm still not utterly convinced about the advantages of a newer iPad. Faster, yes, and an amazing display, but my 1st gen still does just about everything fine in comparison to the newer machines.

5. xraydoc macrumors demi-god

xraydoc

Not everyone buys new Apple gear on launch day.

6. Dwalls90 macrumors 601

Dwalls90

I would hold out until Feb/March for rumors or a keynote to follow.

If not you could always sell your older iPad and then buy a refurbed 3 to hold you over if you absolutely could not wait.

But I can't see why one would upgrade if they had the 3.

7. iLLUMI macrumors 6502

This is just weird. How can they release a 4th gen within 6 months.
    It still doesnt have the IGZO screen so no. In another 6 months they'll probably release iPad 5 with IGZO, so why buy a 4th gen.
    This is just nuts!

8. xraydoc macrumors demi-god

xraydoc

It's only nuts if you already have an iPad 3. Not nuts if you don't already have one.

Besides, it's a good way to get all their iDevices on to the new Lightning connector in one fell swoop.

9. iLLUMI macrumors 6502

Nah, I'm saying that it's nuts that they'd release a 4th gen so soon. It wasnt expected and there it is. Why not wait until March rather than rush through a minor update.

10. Dr Kevorkian94 macrumors 68020

Usually I upgrade my iPad to the newest one when its released, but I don't think so this time. Im not feeling it idk why.

11. mcdj macrumors G3

mcdj

How do we know this for a fact? It's a pretty esoteric spec. Apple doesn't always spell out the more esoteric specs in keynotes.

12. rever3nce macrumors 6502a

rever3nce

same here. I think they just kinda blew by it and focused more on the mini. They had a video and everything for the mini but not the 4th gen.

13. xraydoc macrumors demi-god

xraydoc

Lightning connector.

14. MusicEnthusiast macrumors 6502

MusicEnthusiast

15. dieburnbot macrumors 6502a

dieburnbot

Probably because your iPad 3 is only 6 months old. Lol I feel the same way.

16. Sensamic macrumors 68030

I am. I've got the iPad 1.

Trying to decide between this, the surface or the nexus 7. Probably one of the first two.

17. Dr Kevorkian94 macrumors 68020

My iPad is 6 months old and (as i know) only made it slightly faster and added a lightning port. Ive upgraded an had every iPad but im sure a new one will come in six months that is probably thinner and has some feature i want. Also ive decided the mini is not for me by any means, at this point first of all i cant look at my mothers iPad 2 because the screen just looks horrible to me lmao.

----------

Exactly, iv had every model of the iPad but i just don't feel its worth it when in 6 months there will most likely be a new one.

18. Chief Oddball macrumors regular

I'm preordering one on Friday, to replace my iPad 1. I find myself increasingly using the iPad for gaming and the first-gen is really showing its age at such tasks. (Frankly, it's showing its age at just about all tasks -- even opening Safari feels like I'm back to using my first-gen iPhone. I think it needs a wipe and restore.)

19. bidwalj macrumors 65816

I'm not either this time. It doesn't really have much to make me upgrade my third gen. I'll wait for a redesign or weight reduction. I will get the mini though.

20. Spink10 Suspended

Spink10

That is where I am at - love my 1st generation - had it well over 2 years - cant let her go.

21. mellofello macrumors 65816

After using the a6 in my iphone 5, my ipad 3 seems slow. It takes a lot of power to push the retina. I think I'm going mini this time.

22. Infinitewisdom macrumors 6502a

On the other hand, as has been stated multiple times on here already, Apple is very likely shifting to a fall release schedule for iPads from here on out.

I for one will not be getting a 4th gen. And I don't think Apple's intent was to entice all the 3rd gen owners. I think they see the tablet market this as a vastly growing market with a ton of people who don't have any tablet and are very likely going to get one this holiday season. It'll be a blockbuster quarter for sure, but not on the strength of 3rd gen owners upgrading to the 4th gen.

23. The Game 161 thread starter macrumors P6

The Game 161

Question is wether you guys think it's worth upgrading from the ipad 2?

24. PharmDoc macrumors 6502

Was going to buy the ipad mini for the wife but I think with the $170 price difference for the 32 gb between the 4th gen ipad and the mini, I might as well go for the 4th gen ipad.

25. bsmith4832 macrumors regular

I have the iPad 2 and I believe I'll be upgrading this time around.

I wasn't expecting an iPad refresh (not including the Mini, since its simply not for me) this early but since its here, I believe I'll give my 2 to my Mom and pick up the new one.

I've been doing more reading (forum-based browsing) on my iPad recently and after (briefly) using the iPad 3rd Gen and seeing the retina display, I'm going to have to upgrade.

The A6 and the other few upgrades will make it worthwhile for me to upgrade and hang on to for a few years (~2-3).