Who is buying the 4th gen Ipad then?

kappaknight

macrumors 68000
Mar 5, 2009
Atlanta, GA
Believe it or not, there's a huge segment of the population that just walks into the Apple store and pickup whatever is on the shelves; never realizing whether it's the 3, or the 4, or that the 4 is coming out in a couple of weeks.

gadget123

macrumors 68020
Apr 17, 2011
United Kingdom
Those with an ipad 2 buying guessing not many are upgrading from the 3rd.
Ipad 1 owners looking to upgrade.

New people on the market wanting a entry price £399 16GB retina tablet.

Maybe people buying a second one for someone else in the family.

Ipad 2 > Ipad 3 owners have little to upgrade to.

Dwalls90

macrumors 601
Feb 5, 2009
I would hold out until Feb/March for rumors or a keynote to follow.

If not you could always sell your older iPad and then buy a refurbed 3 to hold you over if you absolutely could not wait.

But I can't see why one would upgrade if they had the 3.

iLLUMI

macrumors 6502a
Aug 1, 2012
This is just weird. How can they release a 4th gen within 6 months.
It still doesnt have the IGZO screen so no. In another 6 months they'll probably release iPad 5 with IGZO, so why buy a 4th gen.
This is just nuts!

xraydoc

macrumors demi-god
Oct 9, 2005
It still doesnt have the IGZO screen so no. In another 6 months they'll probably release iPad 5 with IGZO, so why buy a 4th gen.
This is just nuts!
It's only nuts if you already have an iPad 3. Not nuts if you don't already have one.

Besides, it's a good way to get all their iDevices on to the new Lightning connector in one fell swoop.

iLLUMI

macrumors 6502a
Aug 1, 2012
It's only nuts if you already have an iPad 3. Not nuts if you don't already have one.
Nah, I'm saying that it's nuts that they'd release a 4th gen so soon. It wasnt expected and there it is. Why not wait until March rather than rush through a minor update.

rever3nce

macrumors 6502a
Apr 6, 2011
Usually I upgrade my iPad to the newest one when its released, but I don't think so this time. Im not feeling it idk why.
same here. I think they just kinda blew by it and focused more on the mini. They had a video and everything for the mini but not the 4th gen.

Sensamic

macrumors 68030
Mar 26, 2010
I am. I've got the iPad 1.

Trying to decide between this, the surface or the nexus 7. Probably one of the first two.

Dr Kevorkian94

macrumors 68020
Jun 9, 2009
SI, NY
same here. I think they just kinda blew by it and focused more on the mini. They had a video and everything for the mini but not the 4th gen.
My iPad is 6 months old and (as i know) only made it slightly faster and added a lightning port. Ive upgraded an had every iPad but im sure a new one will come in six months that is probably thinner and has some feature i want. Also ive decided the mini is not for me by any means, at this point first of all i cant look at my mothers iPad 2 because the screen just looks horrible to me lmao.

----------

Probably because your iPad 3 is only 6 months old. Lol I feel the same way.
Exactly, iv had every model of the iPad but i just don't feel its worth it when in 6 months there will most likely be a new one.

Chief Oddball

macrumors regular
Jun 22, 2009
DFW
I'm preordering one on Friday, to replace my iPad 1. I find myself increasingly using the iPad for gaming and the first-gen is really showing its age at such tasks. (Frankly, it's showing its age at just about all tasks -- even opening Safari feels like I'm back to using my first-gen iPhone. I think it needs a wipe and restore.)

bidwalj

macrumors 65816
Feb 16, 2007
Probably because your iPad 3 is only 6 months old. Lol I feel the same way.
I'm not either this time. It doesn't really have much to make me upgrade my third gen. I'll wait for a redesign or weight reduction. I will get the mini though.

Spink10

Suspended
Nov 3, 2011
Oklahoma
I'm one of those 1st gen owners... And frankly, I'm still not utterly convinced about the advantages of a newer iPad. Faster, yes, and an amazing display, but my 1st gen still does just about everything fine in comparison to the newer machines.
That is where I am at - love my 1st generation - had it well over 2 years - cant let her go.

mellofello

macrumors 65816
Feb 1, 2011
After using the a6 in my iphone 5, my ipad 3 seems slow. It takes a lot of power to push the retina. I think I'm going mini this time.

Infinitewisdom

macrumors 6502a
Sep 23, 2012
This is just nuts!
On the other hand, as has been stated multiple times on here already, Apple is very likely shifting to a fall release schedule for iPads from here on out.

I for one will not be getting a 4th gen. And I don't think Apple's intent was to entice all the 3rd gen owners. I think they see the tablet market this as a vastly growing market with a ton of people who don't have any tablet and are very likely going to get one this holiday season. It'll be a blockbuster quarter for sure, but not on the strength of 3rd gen owners upgrading to the 4th gen.

PharmDoc

macrumors 6502
Oct 10, 2010
Was going to buy the ipad mini for the wife but I think with the $170 price difference for the 32 gb between the 4th gen ipad and the mini, I might as well go for the 4th gen ipad.

bsmith4832

macrumors regular
Jul 27, 2010
North East, USA
I have the iPad 2 and I believe I'll be upgrading this time around.

I wasn't expecting an iPad refresh (not including the Mini, since its simply not for me) this early but since its here, I believe I'll give my 2 to my Mom and pick up the new one.

I've been doing more reading (forum-based browsing) on my iPad recently and after (briefly) using the iPad 3rd Gen and seeing the retina display, I'm going to have to upgrade.

The A6 and the other few upgrades will make it worthwhile for me to upgrade and hang on to for a few years (~2-3).

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.