Who is doing an upgrade swap?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Ferris23, Jun 22, 2010.

1. Ferris23 macrumors 68020

And how do you plan on going about it?

I've read on here that you can simply call and have them swap numbers around on the SIM cards, but I've heard conflicting things from AT&T. Some at AT&T say I can just call, others say you have to bring both handsets in to perform this procedure.

I've also been told by one rep that I actually have to activate the phone first on the main account that was eligible for the upgrade, then switch it.

I'm more inclined to believe what I've read on here than AT&T, just curious what others here are planning on doing.

My main concern is not de-activating the other line on the account that I am doing the upgrade swap with, if that happens it will be a real pain in the arse since I won't be able to call him to let him know.

2. edk99 macrumors 6502a

My iphones is being delivered to an ATT store. I will have the ATT rep at the store do the upgrade swap.

I was told repeatedly by the ATT rep that I ordered the phones from that the line being upgraded will not be effected and that I don't need to bring that phone in. All they will do is upgrade the contract on that one line and activate the phone on the line that I'm replacing the phone.

I would suggest going to an ATT store to get it done.

3. Krafty macrumors 601

Krafty

I am. My AT&T rep gave my her number and said to call when I get the phone. The manager also said I could come down and either they can do it or they'll remove the plan from my moms line and give me a new mSIM card.

I'm just gonna call first, she seemed determined to get it done (hence, she gave me 3 cards).

4. mlkeller macrumors member

Thanks for that link - had planned to call AT&T to do the upgrade swap anyway, but nice to have their official directions for doing it.

5. stefc93 macrumors regular

I will be doing an upgrade swap as my line isn't upgrade eligible until December of this year.

I'm just going to go to my local AT&T store this Friday and buy the iPhone 4 there and do the swap at the same time.

6. spyda macrumors 6502a

spyda

Yep, should be pretty painless.

7. iMrNiceGuy0023 macrumors 68000

yea u have to upgrade that main line...then have them switch sim numbers....the line being upgraded may be activated to the iPhone 4 until the swap is complete...so let the person know cause they wont be able to use their phone

8. nfl46 macrumors 603

What if you are getting your iPhone from the Apple Store? I thought they won't let you leave until they activate your iPhone.

9. stefc93 macrumors regular

AT&T won't let you do a swap if you get it from any other retailer other than theirs. That's what the manager told me at my local AT&T store. And Apple can't do an upgrade swap. That's what many people told me at the Apple store.

10. Vin365 macrumors regular

I am gonna post this as it's own thread to..

Just got off the phone with a rep. he seemed very well informed about this whole upgrade swap thing. He told me to follow the instructions from the link : (http://www.wireless.att.com/learn/articles-resources/iphone4upgradesupport.jsp) he said that after that the line you ordered the upgrade for would be deactivated( for use of the iPhone) after they make the switch you would then have to go to the ATT store so you could buy 2 new SIMS ( a regular, and a micro) he then said I would have to take the new Micro sim(for my number) and put it in the iPhone, and then put the regular new SIM into my moms( which would cost about 50 dollars! for the the SIMS!) or else my mothers phone would stay active on the iPhone. This is very different process from what I have read! Do you think this is true? :mad:

11. iLoveMyApple macrumors 6502a

iLoveMyApple

12. Vin365 macrumors regular

How long would it be de-activated ? And would you have to buy a new SIM?

13. spyda macrumors 6502a

spyda

False.

14. Roy Hobbs macrumors 68000

Roy Hobbs

That's a load of crap SIM cards are free everytime I've needed a new or replacement.

15. stefc93 macrumors regular

When I called my local AT&T store, the manager told me that the upgrade swap wouldn't cost me anything. She mentioned something about a SIM card but I asked her if I would have to pay for the new SIM card and she said no.

16. Ferris23 thread starter macrumors 68020

17. stefc93 macrumors regular

No...

That's what I was told. However, I will call to double check.

18. iPhone Addict macrumors 6502

So can you do an upgrade swap at an Apple store? How do they do it? Do they have to call AT&T themselves? Or do they let you take the phone home without activating it and then you go home and do the upgrade swap yourself over the phone?

Thank you!

19. Vin365 macrumors regular

I think I am going to give my local store a call..

20. nfl46 macrumors 603

I just called my Apple Store and she said we'll be able to do the upgrade swap when we pick up our reserve iPhone on the 24th.

21. Vin365 macrumors regular

Just called 2 ATT Stores they said that they don't think that it's true :D Fingers crossed for tomorrow :)

22. stefc93 macrumors regular

Just called both the Apple store and local AT&T store. They both said that you could do an upgrade swap at an Apple store but they would have to call the AT&T customer service center to do the swap, which might take more time. But I'm okay with it. :D

23. td458 macrumors newbie

So here's a good one. Sorry for the length. I pre-ordered my iPhone 4 from Best Buy on the 15th since I could not get through to the online order process from AT&T and Apple and I am not near an Apple Store. I figured ordering from Best Buy would be great with no problems. Before I pre-ordered, I told them I would be using a different line on my account to upgrade since mine is not eligible. They said no problem. Today I received a call to set up an appointment to get the phone on Thursday and I briefly mentioned I would be using another line to upgrade. The guy said "oh I'm sorry, we are not able to do that" which I replied by saying "I was told before I pre-orded last Tuesday that this would be OK". I then called AT&T to verify this and they told me it was not problem, I can upgrade with a different line. I then called the guy at Best Buy back, who didn't answer, and informed him of this on his voicemail. I am still awaiting his call back and will post the results. As most everyone else, I am unhappy with AT&T and Apple with all of the pre-order issues. Looks like I may have to add Best Buy as well.

24. makefunnyfaces macrumors 6502a

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_0 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/532.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0.5 Mobile/8A293 Safari/6531.22.7)

I'm doing an upgrade swap at the Apple store. I've heard so many conflicting statements. Just to be on the safe side, I purchased a regular sim & microsim. Guess we'll see what happens.