Who is going to buy the new Mac Pro?

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by 3587, Feb 5, 2009.

  1. 3587 macrumors 6502a

    Joined:
    Mar 23, 2008
    #1
    For fun, just trying to see who all has cash burning a hole in their pocket... Just waiting for the new mac pro?

    I'm sitting down with an early 2008 MacBook Pro 2.4Ghz... Time to upgrade to the monster machine, even though I don't need it! I buy new every year and I was hoping that the Mac Pro would've been released already... I don't want to use my tax return money for anything else...

    I know I have cash on hand for the all new low end Mac Pro! Bring it on Apple... My cold hard cash is waiting for the update!
     
  2. Michael73 macrumors 65816

    Joined:
    Feb 27, 2007
    #2
    Not me.

    As an early-2008 owner I wouldn't even think about it until Snow Leopard is out and I see the kind of performance boost I get out of the OS. Better utilization of 8 cores and the GPU I think will help out all but the most hardcore power users. AND, with the constantly falling prices of <third party> RAM getting 16GB is pretty affordable.
     
  3. ncc1701d macrumors 6502

    Joined:
    Mar 30, 2008
    #3
    I'm 70% sure. I'll wait to see the actual stats though. If it's not what it should be (due to not offering enough to try and cope with the downturn for example), then I'll just get a new laptop until they do a proper upgrade. I don't think I will be disappointed when it comes though. We've been waiting long enough! The reason I didn't get the 2008 Mac Pro is because there was no new 30" screen to go with it. So, that needs to accompany the announcement. I'm nothing if not a patient SOB!
     
  4. inigel macrumors regular

    inigel

    Joined:
    Mar 14, 2008
    Location:
    Australia
    #4
    I forked over almost AU$8000 for my Jan '08 Mac Pro last March, can't see myself getting a new one at least until the AppleCare runs out.
     
  5. bozz2006 macrumors 68030

    bozz2006

    Joined:
    Aug 24, 2007
    Location:
    Minnesota
  6. diotav macrumors 6502

    Joined:
    Aug 9, 2005
    Location:
    10.0.0.1
    #6
    I'm currently selling my machine just to get the new one! :D
     
  7. Grimace macrumors 68040

    Grimace

    Joined:
    Feb 17, 2003
    Location:
    with Hamburglar.
    #7
    It would make a lot of sense to release the new Mac Pro in conjunction with Snow Leopard to show the multicore power of the OS.

    I'm in for a new one as soon as the pair is ready to go!
     
  8. miniConvert macrumors 68040

    miniConvert

    Joined:
    Mar 4, 2006
    Location:
    Kent, UK - the 'Garden of England'.
    #8
    I've got the original Intel Mac Pro at work and that wont be changing. Hell, it's such a beast, I hope it lasts many years yet.

    For home, well, I'd love a new Mac Pro. So we'll see... it depends just how good it is I suppose.
     
  9. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

    Tallest Skil

    Joined:
    Aug 13, 2006
    Location:
    1 Geostationary Tower Plaza
    #9
    Maybe I won't now, how's that?! :mad:

    I couldn't even keep a straight face while I was writing that...:D

    Oh, my... *laughter*
     
  10. rjheys macrumors regular

    Joined:
    Aug 9, 2008
    #10
    Same here

    I am also the owner of an early 2008 2.4Ghz MBP who is waiting for the new Mac Pro, Snap.
     
  11. SummerBoy macrumors regular

    SummerBoy

    Joined:
    Dec 19, 2008
    Location:
    Mars
    #11
    What a joke
     
  12. Sirobin macrumors 6502

    Sirobin

    Joined:
    May 6, 2008
    Location:
    California
    #12
    I certainly hope to...even though I have no way of affording it at the moment...:p
     
  13. Mr. Giver '94 macrumors 68000

    Mr. Giver '94

    Joined:
    Jun 2, 2008
    Location:
    London
    #13
    Nope. I'm sure it will be a great machine, but I don't need it. I also prefer the All-in-One design. My next new computer will probably be a MBP, but not this current version because I already have a great computer. :)
     
  14. bearcatrp macrumors 68000

    Joined:
    Sep 24, 2008
    Location:
    Boon Docks USA
    #14
    Don't think I will get one. Not fond of virtual cores. Prefer actual cores. Thats why I just bought a 2.8 octo recently. Not sure if apple will release a dual processor (16 total core) or a single (8 total core) but will wait and watch for actual speed tests to see if its worth it. Maybe wait for the 2nd generation. Unless you get 50 percent or more of a speed bump AND the cost is close to what the current mac pro's are, I don't think it will be worth it. Will wait and see.
     
  15. fabriciom macrumors 6502

    Joined:
    Feb 17, 2008
    Location:
    Madrid, España
    #15
    I might, it all depends on pricing/speed relation of the new one compared to the old (current) one. Then again I might get run over by a bus from here till June so it might be a bit early for me to be thinking about this.
     
  16. nanofrog macrumors G4

    Joined:
    May 6, 2008
    #16
    No

    External enclosures for RAID make the cost benefit of a base MP to disappear in my case. :(

    I'll just have to settle on building an equivalent hack in a server case. :eek: :p
    OC'd is a possibility. :D
     
  17. fabriciom macrumors 6502

    Joined:
    Feb 17, 2008
    Location:
    Madrid, España
    #17
    hmmm an infidel running a hack.

    j/k
     
  18. nanofrog macrumors G4

    Joined:
    May 6, 2008
    #18
    I have to save $$$ where I can these days. :D :p
    At one time I even considered buying the MP and performing surgery.
    MP Transplant into a Lian Li PC-V2010 :eek:
    I might yet, if the numbers work out. ;)
     
  19. Fomaphone macrumors regular

    Joined:
    Jan 11, 2009
    #19
    is it too late to add a poll?

    i can't wait to get mine.
     
  20. CarpetMonster macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Jun 13, 2007
    #20
    I'll be replacing my 4 year old Dell workstation at work with one. Doing lots more administration on the xserve and using it for projects, we have many macs in the building and I'm going to be running a load of VMs. I only want one box (ruling out a new Dell and mac mini), I'll need a lot of ram and storage (ruling out the imac) so that leaves the mac pro - plus it'll be fantastic when connected our xgrid too :)
    I'm loathed to spend so much now on 'old' technology with new just around the corner. I'm happy to wait.
     
  21. nerdish macrumors regular

    Joined:
    Jan 28, 2009
    Location:
    Manchester, UK
    #21
    Not me, i just ordered one from the Apple site, the Dual 2.8! There was no way my company could wait :(
     
  22. GotMyOrangeCrus macrumors regular

    #22
    I a definitely getting one and I cant wait. I am expecting them to be sickeningly powerful and will be one of the people ordering the day they go on sale.
     
  23. monogee macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Nov 11, 2004
    #23
    I definitely am. I can't wait. Like someone said though. I hope Snow Leopard and the new Mac Pro are released around the same time.
     
  24. pastrychef macrumors 601

    pastrychef

    Joined:
    Sep 15, 2006
    Location:
    New York City, NY
    #24
    I've been hit quite hard by the economy and won't be able to afford one anytime soon. I'm just glad I picked up my current Mac Pro when I did. It's still does everything I throw at it with aplomb.
     
  25. kastenbrust macrumors 68030

    kastenbrust

    Joined:
    Dec 26, 2008
    Location:
    North Korea
    #25
    I would buy one, but if they announced them now, looking at how long the 17" are waiting to be delieverd you wouldnt get it before June. So I may as well wait until Snow Leopard comes out.
     

Share This Page