iPhone 6(S)(+) Who is holding out another year with a 6S?

peterh988

macrumors 6502a
Jun 5, 2011
Ive used my 6s since release. But the battery started to finally give out. So instead of investing $100 to replace it, I just upgraded to the 11 with no money down from Tmobile. Also I really want a better camera for casual photos. I plan on keeping it though since it served me so well and can always be a backup just in case. Huge upgrade for me. Before the 6s, I upgraded annually.

Pretty much my position. The stated increase in battery life is greater than my current battery life, so it's time to upgrade.

Reactions: haruhiko

Ralfi

macrumors 68040
Dec 22, 2016
Australia
The weight of the new iPhones is disturbing. I am a one handed user guy so holding such a huge weight is disastrous for me.

iPhone 6 / 7 / 8 was the greatest form factor.

Hands down. No argument.
Yeah. When I pass the Apple store I always walk in to confirm how lucky I am to not be holding a XR. I take my case off and hold mine and a XR and I smile knowing that my OLD STUPID iPhone can text, web browse, take pictures, send email and consume media just fine.

The form factor of 6, 7, 8 will go down as the Epic best iPhone form factor of all time.

Those that disagree are the same guys that say the notch is a work of art.
Why are you being so aggressive in your arguments?

It’s a phone. You still like it? Great. But your defensive justification for holding onto it seems weird.

Iphone5preorder

macrumors 6502a
Sep 20, 2012
iPhone 6s owner since launch. Never had a case on it and haven't broke the screen.

Replaced the battery 8 months ago but it's not doing well.

Main reasons for finally upgrading this year is the speakerphone on the 6s is insanely lousy and the speakers are useless. Maybe an issue with my phone specifically. Also very excited about having a better camera... I take pictures a lot.

Reactions: MrAperture

spacemnspiff

macrumors 6502a
Feb 11, 2009
MD
Caseless 6s and wife has the 6s Plus, both keeping them for another year. We got the batteries for $29 last year, we are good to go. The only issue is battery drains faster on the newer iOS and I expect the same from iOS13.

Reactions: Iphone5preorder

retta283

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jun 8, 2018
Kingman, AZ
How is it outdated software? the 6s is getting iOS 13, so the software isn't outdated.

I don't get the weight thing at all. I carry 2 phones, sometimes 3 (1 personal, 2 for work) and I have no issues with weight. It seems people will find anything to complain about these days. They think this is heavy, I had the old Motorola Brick phone back in the day.
I meant that whenever the 6S is no longer supported, I won't mind not being on the latest OS.
[doublepost=1568665611][/doublepost]
iPhone 6s owner since launch. Never had a case on it and haven't broke the screen.

Replaced the battery 8 months ago but it's not doing well.

Main reasons for finally upgrading this year is the speakerphone on the 6s is insanely lousy and the speakers are useless. Maybe an issue with my phone specifically. Also very excited about having a better camera... I take pictures a lot.
Perhaps your speaker unit is particularly bad, but overall it's not a great speaker anyway. Some people have claimed that there was a drop in speaker quality from the 6 to the 6S.

Gator1pk

macrumors member
Sep 28, 2013
Fort Lauderdale
I got my 6S shortly after release. Upgraded to iPhone X, Shortly after release. Reasons to upgrade- Face ID, big beautiful olead screen, much nicer camera (portrait mode), way faster than 6S and last but certainly not least, the water proofing of iPhone X. You spill water near iPhone 6S (not even get it wet) and it’s done. iPhone X can be left under 4 meters of water for 30 minutes and it’s still going. I’m a heavy user, so while I love my X, I’m eyeing the 11 Pro Max.

As for headphone jack, get over it. My iPhone X came with lighting to 3.5 dongle and the included Apple earphones had the lighting end. IPhone X has bluetooth 5.0, so I bought truly wireless earbuds (Sennheiser Momentum-best sound from any headphones I have owned and I have had wired Bose and Shure headphones). I miss the headphone jack like I miss the 30 pin connector or the lack of waterproofing.

Reactions: Mr. Heckles

retta283

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jun 8, 2018
Kingman, AZ
I got my 6S shortly after release. Upgraded to iPhone X, Shortly after release. Reasons to upgrade- Face ID, big beautiful olead screen, much nicer camera (portrait mode), way faster than 6S and last but certainly not least, the water proofing of iPhone X. You spill water near iPhone 6S (not even get it wet) and it’s done. iPhone X can be left under 4 meters of water for 30 minutes and it’s still going. I’m a heavy user, so while I love my X, I’m eyeing the 11 Pro Max.

As for headphone jack, get over it. My iPhone X came with lighting to 3.5 dongle and the included Apple earphones had the lighting end. IPhone X has bluetooth 5.0, so I bought truly wireless earbuds (Sennheiser Momentum-best sound from any headphones I have owned and I have had wired Bose and Shure headphones). I miss the headphone jack like I miss the 30 pin connector or the lack of waterproofing.
There are some uses for a headphone jack other than just listening to video/music. Some people use it in conjunction with a Lightning device for audio capture/editing purposes. There is also a need for some to have studio-grade headphones, and they don't include the dongle any longer.

I am not a major proponent of the headphone jack, to me it's a nice feature but it's not gonna keep me here. But I don't dismiss those who have legitimate use for a dedicated port other than simple EarPod music listening.

apolloa

Suspended
Oct 21, 2008
Time, because it rules EVERYTHING!
I still have my 6S, I actually had a 6S, then tried the iPhone 7 and 8 and went back to the 6S lol!
But I gave in and trades up to the XR last year. But speed wise my 6S can keep up no problem.

I am waiting till next year and hope to see the 2020 iPhone XR get an OLED screen and for a new SE to be launched, I will then be deciding between the two which one to buy.

weckart

macrumors 601
Nov 7, 2004
Still happy with my 6S+. I bought it when the 7 series was launched and nothing that has come since has tempted me. I don't game or do anything particularly taxing on the phone so I just don't see the value in the newer phones for me. Maybe slightly snappier performance when running Tomtom on it but even that isn't exactly sluggish on what I have now.

Did a battery upgrade myself and it is as good as new.

Mr. Heckles

macrumors 6502
Mar 20, 2018
Around
But I gave in and trades up to the XR last year. But speed wise my 6S can keep up no problem.
I had a 6s for work, no way it can keep up with an XR. I was playing with one of the XR's here at work and it's no where close in speed. Emails alone in the outlook app load way faster.

aFlockaCgulz

Suspended
Aug 21, 2019
I really wish my 6s Plus was still as smooth as it was when new.

I've been using it concurrently with my X (larger screen for at work) and even though it's updated to 12.4.1 it has become increasingly sluggish and prone to stuttering. The battery health is currently at 86% and that's with a battery change in 03/2017 due to random crashing when the battery was low. I replaced it with the X in 11/2017 so I have used it less but obviously it is still not very efficient with the battery.

What is even more odd is that it has the TSMC-made A9 chip in it, which is supposedly the better one, and not the one from Samsung, which IIRC was less desirable than the TSMC chip.

moderniste

macrumors 6502
May 7, 2005
I'm upgrading, but today I set up my old 6 plus for my mother. It will work really well for her needs, and I loved how light and thin it felt compared to my xs max. I wouldn't want to go back to using it, but I can see why some people have no problem skipping upgrades.

Arndroid

macrumors 6502a
Oct 3, 2013
The weight of the new iPhones is disturbing. I am a one handed user guy so holding such a huge weight is disastrous for me.

iPhone 6 / 7 / 8 was the greatest form factor.

Hands down. No argument.
Recommend forearm curls and grip exercises.

tranceking26

macrumors 6502
Apr 16, 2013
I'm keeping my 6s for yet another year. The battery capacity is the only downside but my mophie case makes up for that.

I don't need a fidgit spinner-like camera system, or faceID.

PorkPump

Suspended
Jun 27, 2019
I'm keeping my 6s for yet another year. The battery capacity is the only downside but my mophie case makes up for that.

I don't need a fidgit spinner-like camera system, or faceID.
FaceID is a privacy threat like no other.

Just ask the Siri contractors in Ireland. People have already forgotten about it.

“Stays on your iPhone....”

Sure it does.

Epic is the wretched lying world we live in now.

Tim lied.

Steve cried.

Reactions: user_xyz

aFlockaCgulz

Suspended
Aug 21, 2019
FaceID is a privacy threat like no other.

Just ask the Siri contractors in Ireland. People have already forgotten about it.

“Stays on your iPhone....”

Sure it does.

Epic is the wretched lying world we live in now.

Tim lied.

Steve cried.
First, Siri was developed under Steve.

Second, just like your fingerprint in TouchID, the mathematical representation of your face in FaceID does not ever leave the device.

Third, Siri, on the other hand, take your voice once it is invoked, either intentionally or unintentionally, sends that to a cloud server, processes your request, and then sends back a reply. Obviously, this doesn't stay on your phone, and Apple should have been more forthright about taking voice recordings to improve Siri.

Get your facts straight.

FuzzMunky

macrumors regular
Jul 7, 2007
I'm finally giving up my iPhone 6 this year as it's being excluded from latest software which would solve a lot of the issues I have with it. I wanted to stretch one more year, but the delay as you wait for the keyboard to load, crash, then reload again before you type anything has been driving me insane. Also pretty fed up with all photos of my young kids being grainy and dark.

I ordered both an 11 and an 11 Pro waiting to see if they solved the PWM issue on the pro oleds before deciding.

PorkPump

Suspended
Jun 27, 2019
First, Siri was developed under Steve.

Second, just like your fingerprint in TouchID, the mathematical representation of your face in FaceID does not ever leave the device.

Third, Siri, on the other hand, take your voice once it is invoked, either intentionally or unintentionally, sends that to a cloud server, processes your request, and then sends back a reply. Obviously, this doesn't stay on your phone, and Apple should have been more forthright about taking voice recordings to improve Siri.

Get your facts straight.
Did you develop FaceID?

Do you know exactly how the data is truly stored and transmitted?

Do you realize people’s personal conversations were exposed to contractors in Ireland without their consent?

Nope to both. Nope to all.

Next.

Reactions: apolloa