Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mooncaine

macrumors regular
Dec 19, 2004
It's not working for me.

adk said:
That widget honestly isn't that great. It's like oh, look, Mr. 201.44.553.335 is listening to my Itunes!!

When I go to quit iTunes, it tells me there's 1 or more users connected. Its Sharing prefs pane tells me one user is connected.

The widget tells me no users are connected.

The free-standing app just says "Status: starting up" and does nothing more.

Using: 10.4.5, iTunes 6.0.4, sharing entire library, connected to a LAN.

milo

macrumors 604
Sep 23, 2003
freeny said:
Is there a way to find out who specificly is listening to my itunes music shared within my network?

It would be nice if iTunes could show how many connected, who they are (based on bonjour name or something similar), and what songs they're listening to. There's no reason the app couldn't figure these things out if they wanted to add the feature.

I'm also disappointed that iTunes doesn't allow rating shared tunes or keep track of play count. Makes sense for schools, but I'd like to be able to do it when I'm hooked up in my own house.

Angelus520

macrumors regular
May 22, 2003
Chicago
I share my music on my work's network and can also see other iTunes playlists as well. I'll usually find a song or two that they purchased from iTunes and it'll give me their ITMS login screen. From there you can usually gather what you want, possibly name and definitely email address.

It's intriguing trying to figure out who it is that has the cool playlists. I work for a huge company so they are mostly people I don't know.

evank

macrumors newbie
Jan 28, 2009
Does anyone know of a still working program that does this? The only real solution that I know of is sifting through the open files and ports in Activity Monitor.

martyrk

macrumors regular
Nov 28, 2007
In Lab
I had asked this question awhile ago, but to add on, wouldn't it be nice to know what the connected users are listening to?

Another thing I found out is that they might be connected but they might not be listening. Like clicking on the shared library icon connects you allows you to access their library, which tells the other person you are connected but not listening

I think they should upgrade the feature in preferences to let you know, How many are connected and how many are listening. At work I will leave my computer on if someone is connected

Magiko

macrumors newbie
May 26, 2009
WhoDere

Many years ago, I wrote a small app that will do this. I think somehow it's one of a kind (and after all this time...).

I haven't worked on it in a while, but it still works for me. I'm interested in making it better.

http://www.lauzet.com/whodere

Shadyzz

macrumors newbie
May 6, 2009
you can also go to terminal app and type this:

lsof |grep iTunes |grep TCP

easy and works like a charm

TJRiver

macrumors 6502
Jan 14, 2009
Break out those tin foil hats and watch the sky for black helicopters. The new world order, its coming, baby........:D

melpote

macrumors member
Nov 8, 2010
GA
OMG! This is happening to me for the very first time! GAHHHHHHH-my brother has a friend over that has a laptop. He is in my itunes looking around-I can feel it-his playlist came up in mine!! I don't want him seeing my Britney Spears!! Dammit!! I'm going to go die now.......:eek:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.