Who is still using tiger, and who is using leopard!!

Discussion in 'macOS' started by bluedoggiant, Jan 27, 2008.

?

Do you use leopard, or Tiger?

1. Leopard

159 vote(s)
    71.6%
  2. Tiger

63 vote(s)
    28.4%
  1. bluedoggiant macrumors 68030

bluedoggiant

just answer the poll, and post comments!!! This is for which operating system YOU ARE RUNNING. not which you PREFER.

If you have more than one computer, choose the OS on your main computer.

2. iTim314 macrumors 6502

Tiger 10.4.11 on MacBook Pro 2.2ghtz 2GB RAM, 120GB HD

3. mrkramer macrumors 603

mrkramer

I put leopard for the poll sine that is what is running on the computer I am posting from, but I have other computers with Tiger still on them.

4. tersono macrumors 68000

tersono

You're missing an obvious option in the poll:

Both.

I'm running Tiger server on two machines too old to run Leopard.

:-/

5. bluedoggiant thread starter macrumors 68030

bluedoggiant

Well your main system

6. iCeFuSiOn macrumors 6502a

7. phungy macrumors 68020

phungy

10.4.11, going to wait a bit longer to see if new MBPs come out before May.

8. mrkramer macrumors 603

mrkramer

I would still have used both, since I have a laptop and a desktop that both get about equal use. and one has Tiger, the other has Leopard.

9. Spizzo macrumors 6502

Me too. My Powerbook still runs Tiger, but the iMac has Lepoard. And they both get equal use. :D

10. iCeFuSiOn macrumors 6502a

What do you think of Leopard? Is it good enough to use over Tiger on an Intel Mac?

11. AlexH macrumors 68000

AlexH

Still running Tiger 10.4.11 on my MacBook Pro.

12. Tom B. macrumors 65816

Tom B.

I'm still running Tiger on my 867MHz 12" PowerBook. I would of put Leopard on it, but I will be getting a MacBook very soon, so my mum will get this PowerBook.

13. Virgil-TB2 macrumors 65816

Virgil-TB2

No offense but ...

(and you just know this is going to be offensive when it starts like that) :p

This "poll" won't tell you anything at all; it's totally useless. It's a bit like the classic "graph of only one value" mistake.

It's about as useful as:

"Which do you like? (pick one)"
    - Cheese
    - Beef

Your not "polling" for anything here, you are asking people to pick a title for their post or something.

14. forafireescape macrumors 6502a

forafireescape

I got my new MBP after Leopard started shipping standard with it. So...yeah, Leopard. :cool:

15. Cromulent macrumors 603

Cromulent

All 3 of our Macs run Leopard. No problems at all.

16. bigandy macrumors G3

bigandy

Leopard on one, Tiger on the other.

Tiger on both soon, prolly. :eek:

17. jabrowntx macrumors 6502

18. iCeFuSiOn macrumors 6502a

Planning on downgrading?

19. OldCorpse macrumors 65816

OldCorpse

This poll is a bit odd, but whatever. I mean, we know pretty exactly what the mac community is running... as Steve Jobs revealed at MWSF, Leopard share is 19%. You won't get better data than this - straight from Apple.

Now, maybe you'll be interested in the stats for macrumors users, but I suspect this poll is not going to give you that number with any degree of reliability at all.

So, all in all, a very odd poll indeed.

FWIW, I'm running 10.4.11 on both my macs and have no plans to downgrade to Leopard anytime soon.

20. iCeFuSiOn macrumors 6502a

Out of curiosity what are your reasons for not running Leopard or why you prefer Tiger?

21. bigandy macrumors G3

bigandy

yup.

Leopard's improvements (except spaces) aren't used enough yet, and it's caused a few issues for me with HD video, and Adobe CS3.

Going to drop it back down mid Feb. Just need a little free time.

22. mgguy macrumors 6502

mgguy

10.4.11 on 400mz G3 Imac Graphite 1G RAM 80G drive. Runs great except for choppy videos from YouTube and like sites. Waiting to buy new iMac to upgrade to Leopard, which I have decided to do because no matter what I do I get choppy videos (think its due to slow processor not being able to handle complex digital encrypted modern-day internet videos).

23. clevin macrumors G3

clevin

Tiger, Didn't find anything attractive about leopard yet, and quite a lot of negative stuff.

24. OldCorpse macrumors 65816

OldCorpse

I find Leopard massively worse than Tiger. The UI is horrendous. The dock is way, way less functional - it is smaller and less clear (because of the fake 3D trick), the mess on the right side of the dock divider is appalling with folders stacking helter-skelter, the stacks feature took away the hierarchical view I use on a daily basis (to be fixed in 10.5.2, I hear), the icons for generic folders are horribly designed as if from 1980's.

Next, there are plenty of bugs compared to 10.4.11 - not surprising really in a new OS, so that's not knocking Leopard specifically, but it means delayed acceptance from those who like stability. Still, trouble with airport and so many other bugs just scare me away.

Next, Leopard is plain and simple a PIG. For the first time, an OS X upgrade is slower than the previous one. All others (Jaguar, Panther, Tiger) were faster than their predecessor on older machines, and Leopard is actually slower. Both my macs are PPCs - 1.5Ghz and 1.33Ghz (well within Leopard requirements), and I've read consistent reports of Leopard being slower than Tiger on those systems.

Next, Leopard just doesn't have any new features that I really desire. Time Machine - meh, I use SuperDuper. Spaces - no use for me. Stacks is actually a step back. OK, quicklook seems interesting.

Meanwhile Leopard did not fix what was wrong with Tiger. My complaint about some features of Tiger has always been "promises and no delivery". Take Spotlight. Spotlight doesn't search all system files and caches (which I find essential), can't find folders and can't do word searches in apps frameworks (for example, just try to find a playlist folder you made in iTunes - that's right, you can't). Spotlight can search for files which I have no trouble finding on my own (I'm pretty organized), but can't help with files I did not create and need access to (certain System files and caches etc.).

Bottom line, to me Leopard is a joke. Bring on 10.6... or will we have to wait for 11.0 for real innovation? Apple: please, hire more engineers and programmers, so that SOMEBODY can work on OS X, instead of being pulled off to work on the iPhone and all the other distractions... your OS X work on Leopard has been subpar, and power users notice it.

25. iBookG4user macrumors 604

iBookG4user

I upgraded to Leopard on launch and got a T-shirt out of the deal :D