Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

bpeeps

Suspended
May 6, 2011
I believe I read a news story about how after the baked in IOS app was scrapped (due to apple not wanting ads) google purposefully crippled the mobile internet version so people would download the app, allowing more ad revenue, it worked. It’s an extremely popular app.

Jokes kinda on them though, it has its problems, but on iPad it allows you to use picture in picture and keep videos playing in the background for free when it’s usually a YouTube premium feature.
Will this be different once iPad OS does away with mobile websites?

Silver78

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 24, 2013
Denmark
After ipad OS is installed youtube run much better... I have not experienced any of the problems that I have had for years.
I can only assume this whole time apple was to blame for bad youtube on safari?
If so I am very very disappointed with apple... all these years of bad you tube!

All ready I see a warning about fullscreen not possible even I can fullscreen no problem.
The pip function work but only if you stay on the youtube page.
You can use pip everywhere but you have to fullscreen first and then pip.
The skip 10 sec forward and back option is gone ...so no more skipping the ad breaks in videos easy.

Last edited:

apolloa

Suspended
Oct 21, 2008
Time, because it rules EVERYTHING!
Youtube experiance is horrible in safari and been for years...who is to blame for this? apple or google?
I do not use the youtube app since I find it horrible and ipad does not give me choice to open video in safari or you tube app but jump straight to the app if installed.

Using youtube in safari get worse every day.
I use youtube desktop mode but with every click I am reminded of that with a big blue banner on top (which i have to press to remove)
the blue color really stands out like an eye sore spam message. ....why?

next problem is after a little navigation around youtube my option of skipping forward and back 15 seconds disappear along with options of subtitles, full screen and pip. (which mean i have to press my original youtube shortcut again to regain the controls)
now it happens faster and faster... even after a few clicks.

now after a few skips of 15 sec forward video stop completely and I have to refresh page to watch again (exept now youtube return to the uncontrollable version)

it makes the viewing experience horrible on ipad.

why man ....why?
This is an easy one, you squarely blame Google, or Alphabet if you like and ONLY them.
They are deliberately making the You Tube experience in Safari a poor one, like capping it to 720P on purpose so you are forced to use the app, if you leave a comment in the Safari version you cannot edit it after, you have to use the app.
Now why do they want to force you to use the app? It’s because then they will bombard you with adverts, and recently a Google executive stated they will make it even worst until you pay the, a subscription fee, Google are going after the ‘free loaders’ who watch You Tube.

Its such a massive shame they were ever allowed to buy You Tube....
Although Google cannot be blamed for the latest iOS‘s inherent lack of ability to auto capitalise the first letter of a new paragraph now!!....

apolloa

Suspended
Oct 21, 2008
I can now watch YouTube videos in Safari at 1080P.
Same here, and I can edit my comments.
Just tried the full desktop You Tube website on my iPhone XR and no you cannot change the resolution at all to 1080P or anything else, and you cannot wait your comments after posting them.
So as far as the iPhone seems to be concerned, they are effectively crippling your experience if you use the Safari browser over the You Tube app.
It makes the iPad a much better proposition to watch You Tube on.

levander

macrumors 6502
Jul 21, 2011
Google has no respect for Apple platforms.

I subscribe to the Google Play Music service (competitor to Apple Music). And for a week I couldn’t figure out how to get the Play Music app to work on the just updated iOS 13 with CarPlay. It turns out you have to start the Play Music app on your phone first. Then you can open it in CarPlay and it works just fine.

How long was iOS 13 in beta and Google has never bothered to fix this? It’s obviously something simple if all you have to do is start it on your phone first.

Google just has no respect for Apple platforms.

apolloa

Suspended
Oct 21, 2008
Ah just tried it again, I was in desktop mode yes, I can edit the comments but I can’t change to 1080P, I can do it in the You Tube app though? Is it because the XR lacks a 1080P screen?
I have been trying it again and yes it does seem to now allow me to edit comments, but I can’t change the resolution beyond 720P probably due to using an XR.

levander

macrumors 6502
Jul 21, 2011
I have been trying it again and yes it does seem to now allow me to edit comments, but I can’t change the resolution beyond 720P probably due to using an XR.

Smaller screens don’t make nearly as much difference with higher resolutions. 1080P on a little ~5” screen sounds like way overkill.

apolloa

Suspended
Oct 21, 2008
Smaller screens don’t make nearly as much difference with higher resolutions. 1080P on a little ~5” screen sounds like way overkill.
Nope it’s not, I can tell the difference as can many others.
If that were the case then why has Apple gone way past 1080P on a smaller phone? And why do all last year and this years models support HDR? Because that is utterly pointless as no mobile phone screen has anywhere near the brightness require to make HDR work.

Silver78

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 24, 2013
Denmark
So after installing ios 13 things seem to be working better...I still should blame Google for years of horrible youtube on safari?
There is still problems.. the skip forward and back 15 seconds buttons are missing and the screen controls for fullscreen, pip and so on still have problems.
- Pip is not working unless you do full screen first.
- Volume slider is not working.
- Finally the buttons for fullscreen etc. is too small and too close to the timeline slider so i find myself skipping around in the video many times when i go for the fullscreen button.
- I often get the message on screen that full screen is not working even it works just fine.
- Also I started to get some error messages when playing videos which require me to refresh.

I find it weird that google decide to fix problems with you tube on safari exactly at same time ios 13 come out?

muzzy996

macrumors 65816
Feb 16, 2018
I find it weird that google decide to fix problems with you tube on safari exactly at same time ios 13 come out?

Did they? Or did Apple changing Safari on iPad OS change the way Youtube is working on iPad?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.