Who is upgrading from a 6?

Eggtastic

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 9, 2009
NJ
Pointless thread, as many will be (but its fun)...

I have the 6+ so I am due for an upgrade. I don't like the price, but I can afford it and I don't splurge much on tech (other than my rMB 2016 which was discounted anyway).

So, to those who still rock the 6, 6+, SE, or older, this is clearly a big upgrade and are you jumping for the X? I have been on the fence between the s8+ or the X. Clearly I can snag the s8+ for cheaper with better tech, but the software might be something to get used to (customization is great but the stabilization of iOS is also great).

So, with several hours to go, I have a big decision to make. Just seeing if anyone is rocking a 6,6+, or even an SE making the big upgrade? Again pointless, but a lot of people I see on here are already on the 7 or even 8.

Whatever you decide, good luck!

Reactions: Vampire14

KeepCalmPeople

macrumors 65816
Sep 5, 2012
San Francisco Bay Area, California
Interesting question. I had a 6+, skipped the 6S and 7, I felt like I’d got my money’s worth out of the 6+ after 3 years... only then to be faced with increased prices across the board, and the flagship phone costing $1,000+.

So I bought an iPhone 7. Maybe next year will be an easier decision.

Reactions: praterkeith

brgjoe

macrumors regular
Nov 6, 2014
Central IL, USA.
Still on my iPhone6. And it seems to be working just fine. Even with it running iOS 11! :)

But am still considering my options. I am probably going for the bigger screen (middle aged eyes and such), so am leaning towards the 8+. I still am sitting on the sidelines though. I want to see how actual users fare with the iPhone X. If it's the best thing since sliced bread and WiFi, then I might make the jump to it at some point.

In the meantime, the iPhone 6 of mine is still chugging along without any major issues.

Vampire14

macrumors regular
Jun 22, 2013
Newcastle, Australia, NSW

I have the 6+ so I am due for an upgrade. I don't like the price, but I can afford it and I don't splurge much on tech (other than my rMB 2016 which was discounted anyway).

So, to those who still rock the 6, 6+, SE, or older, this is clearly a big upgrade and are you jumping for the X? I have been on the fence between the s8+ or the X. Clearly I can snag the s8+ for cheaper with better tech, but the software might be something to get used to (customization is great but the stabilization of iOS is also great).

So, with several hours to go, I have a big decision to make. Just seeing if anyone is rocking a 6,6+, or even an SE making the big upgrade? Again pointless, but a lot of people I see on here are already on the 7 or even 8.

I’m on a 6. Had it replaced early this year under 2 year Australian consumer warranty - lcd screen patches at the top and left sides.
I will be pre-ordering at 6pm tomorrow night here. Buying outright, 64 gig, silver and store pick-up as live 12 minutes away from local store!
I can’t wait for this massive upgrade, as my 6 has been a bit sluggish re iMessage when first launched then ok. App Store updates with larger sizes hang and I have to re-start to get other apps to open!
This iPhone X is what I have been eagerly awaiting for. Won’t miss the home button and looking forward to more screen real estate in roughly the same footprint as my current 6!

otozuz

macrumors regular
Apr 18, 2010
I am, and I can't wait. My iPhone 6 has become a brick with iOS 11. Keyboard is 2 seconds late, Apple Pay never activates at the first shot, etc., etc...

fs454

macrumors 68000
Dec 7, 2007
Los Angeles / Boston

It’s really not cut and dry that the S8 has “better tech”. What’s better? I would argue the opposite.

Less gimmicks over at Apple but arguably faster, more stable, better cameras/insanely better image stabilization algorithms, Face ID, rounded screen corners which i don’t think we’ve seen on a device, OIS on both lenses, the best portrait mode in the business, etc.

I just can’t consider android. I don’t want to be a janitor for my phone. I don’t want to consciously care about what apps are open sucking power and whether to close them or not. I don’t want to worry about malware. I could care less if I can change the home screen beyond the design it was intended to be or change the system font. I don’t want to use standard SMS (with garbage image and video quality) or Facebook to message.

brgjoe

macrumors regular
Nov 6, 2014
Central IL, USA.
I really haven't noticed much lag when upgrading to iOS11 with my iPhone 6. Admittedly some app's are more "jittery" and a bit more sluggish than before. But overall, I don't really have many complaints about iOS11. And have noticed no difference in battery usage either.

I got my iPhone 6 on launch day. And have been very pleased with it. It is easily the most reliable and trouble-free smartphone I have owned. That being said, I can see where it's useful days are numbered. I can probably squeeze another year's usage out of it. But would rather make the switch before the phone starts becoming flaky and unreliable.

I am really looking forward to hearing actual users on here get their hands on the iPhone X and post their likes/dislikes about it.

Fredo C

macrumors member
Mar 18, 2012
Launch day 6 Plus here thinking hard about the X. The phone is clearly past its prime however I think I can get another year of decent use out of it if I want to since it generally still does what I need it to do.

pika2000

macrumors 603
Jun 22, 2007
If you can't wait, it would be a great upgrade from 6+ (more RAM, much faster SoC, dual camera, wireless charging, etc).
If you can wait, wait for 11.1 first and see how your 6+ perform with it.

Macintosh IIcx

macrumors 6502
Jul 3, 2014
Denmark
Yeah, iPhone 6 here. Still doing a respectable job, but promised it for my son. Now poor me have to buy a new iPhone. :rolleyes:

Have been going back and forth between the iPhone 8 and the X. Both are expensive, and I would really like the extra lens and a new design to enjoy, so I will go with the X. Going to keep it at least 3 years.

Zigourney

macrumors regular
Sep 27, 2017
United Kingdom
I'm on a Iphone 5s ios 10.3.3 and its running fine for me.
Its only now with the X that it feels like a big enough change to the design worth upgrading for me.
The 6, 7, and 8 are all the same in my mind.

MadDane

macrumors 6502a
Apr 5, 2015
I am still using my Space Grey 128GB iPhone 6. It still works perfectly fine, but I feel like it is a bit sluggish when opening and changing between apps. And I had promised myself I would upgrade when an iPhone with an OLED display became available. So I will be pre-ordering as soon as it is possible :D

Reactions: Swufi and Vampire14

sirenized

macrumors 6502
Oct 15, 2008

I have the 6+ and have been crippled by ios 11. I can NOT wait!! hopefully I can get one for launch day

joeblow7777

macrumors 603
Sep 7, 2010
I upgraded from a 6 to an 8+.

My 6 was actually still performing pretty well on iOS 11 in my opinion, and the battery still got me through the day with power to spare, but I wanted to try a larger display and some of the improvements and new features that have come along over the last 3 generations, such as a better camera.

For a long while I thought I would get the X, but eventually decided that the 8+ offered the features I wanted most.

Macalway

macrumors 68030
Aug 7, 2013
Launch day 6 Plus here thinking hard about the X. The phone is clearly past its prime however I think I can get another year of decent use out of it if I want to since it generally still does what I need it to do.
Right. Either now or another year. I'm kind of caught up in the excitement of this new phone, so I figure that it probably is now :D

mwjdavies

macrumors member
Jul 14, 2008
Uk
I'm on a iPhone 6+, and been running the public beta's of iOS 11.1, and it feels like it is getting slower & slower to respond. So hopefully getting a X for launch. Fingers crossed

Macalway

macrumors 68030
Aug 7, 2013
I'm on a iPhone 6+, and been running the public beta's of iOS 11.1, and it feels like it is getting slower & slower to respond. So hopefully getting a X for launch. Fingers crossed
Maybe not. I've read a post that an 8 user is having slowness with 11

Just a heads up. It may need a few updates, or just be isolated. But this would figure, no? :D