Who is using the Magic Trackpad?

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by SandboxGeneral, Oct 21, 2010.

1. SandboxGeneral Moderator

SandboxGeneral

Staff Member

Who is using the Magic Trackpad and how do you like it compared to a mouse? I'm considering buying one for my iMac, but I would like some user feedback first. Plus I am going to try one out tomorrow at the Apple store.

2. ActionableMango macrumors 604

ActionableMango

I like it on OS X. First several days I had to switch back and forth between it and the mouse while I was getting used to it. I am still slower with it than the mouse.

On Windows XP I can't use it that well, even with the bootcamp drivers installed.

3. bbeagle macrumors 68040

bbeagle

I'm using BOTH the Magic Trackpad and a mouse. I find this a perfect solution. My trackpad is to the left of my keyboard, and mouse to the right. I use the mouse for moving the pointer, left clicking and right clicking. I use the trackpad for scrolling, zooming, and using the gestures to swap applications.

And I use my middle mouse button (on the old Mac Mouse - NOT Magic Mouse) to bring up spaces to switch spaces. I wish the Magic Trackpad would allow me to swap spaces, but it doesn't yet. (I'd use a 1 or 2-finger gesture to do this if I could)

4. SandboxGeneral thread starter Moderator

SandboxGeneral

Staff Member

That sounds cool the way you're using it. I hadn't thought about spaces/expose which I use all the time with pre-programmed buttons on my Logitech mouse. I wondered about going solo with a trackpad and no mouse, but it sounds like I would need both to continue doing some of the things I do now.

5. Cheffy Dave macrumors 68030

Cheffy Dave

Sunny Florida, on the Gulf Coast in Homosassa Fl
    My usage of both is 50/50. I LOVE THEM, they are very intuitive, once you get the hang of it, you don't give their use much thought, your hand just moves between them, and knows what to do. I find their use will come in even more handy with a new MBA and the 27" Apple screen, their their use will shine, especially the track pad, covering the screen real estate. I'm 62 and my brain can adapt to them both, you young-uns will have no problemo!:D:cool:

6. seamuskrat macrumors 6502a

seamuskrat

I use both the trackpad and magic mouse. When the apps support the functions I find both very useful and intuitive. What annoys me is that every app does not automatically allow zoom and swipe with the trackpad.

Of course I have yet to find games that respond to the trackpad. And I do NOT like gaming with the magic mouse. Star Craft 2 is hard with that device for me.

For for the cost I am happy with them and it seems they will be rather useful in Lion.

7. Colonel-Panic macrumors newbie

While there is no 'gesture' for Spaces, if you aren't utilizing Exposé you could set Spaces on a corner... I set Spaces in the bottom right corner of Exposé and it's very easy with my Magic Trackpad. I've actually always set Spaces there since they introduced the feature.

The ONLY thing that I personally have found a bit frustrating with the Magic Trackpad is when I have a list of check boxes in a row that I have to check. You have to single tap, move cursor, single tap, move cursor, etc... It definitely is a bit more cumbersome for that than a mouse. Everything else I would say has been more of a pleasure to perform and has actually made things quicker for me to accomplish!

8. willieva macrumors 6502

I have both and much prefer the magic mouse. The mouse feels more natural, but that just could be from years of using mice. For just surfing and general stuff they're about the same, but for actually doing work the mouse is much better. Cutting and pasting is way easier with the mouse.

9. Batt macrumors 65816

Batt

I bought the Magic Trackpad about two months ago. I gave away my Mighty Mouse today.

10. dwd3885 macrumors 68020

I've been using it since it came out and it's my main input device on my iMac. Although, occasionally I'll use my Logitech VX Revolution when I want to do more intense photo or video editing.

But I'd have to say that I like the Magic Trackpad A LOT.

11. chiefroastbeef macrumors 6502a

I have a trackball mouse on the left side, and magic pad on the right. I use better touch tool on the magic pad and it is just amazing.

12. Apple Corps macrumors 68030

I have several and have used them since the day they were available. I came from using a Logitech Trackball all the time. There are times, when slouched on the sofa for example, where I prefer the trackball - ditto for extended photo editing sessions.

The trackpad is impressive - just not the best for all applications in all ergonomic positions.

13. topmounter macrumors 68020

topmounter

I just picked up a Trackpad today and it is surprisingly nice. I haven't tried it in anything real noodly like Pixelmator, but we'll see. I turned off my Magic Mouse, but it is still sitting on my desk, just in case.

14. SandboxGeneral thread starter Moderator

SandboxGeneral

Staff Member

I ended up not buying one Saturday. I played with it for a bit and found that while it was very nice and responsive, I just don't see myself making much use of it. I love my Logitech Performance MX mouse.

I looked at it as more of a novelty item in regards to how I would use it.

15. hank-b macrumors member

hank-b

I returned mine - I found it more effort to use and not as precise as the Magic Mouse.

- HB

16. nusynergy macrumors regular

nusynergy

17. rgarjr macrumors 603

rgarjr

The trackpad seems like it works out nicely when you're browsing through pictures and don't need much precision.

18. Surely Guest

Surely

Two possible solutions to this:

• Four finger swipe to the left or right. It doesn't automatically switch Spaces, but it does show you all of your running applications. If you know which application is running in which Space, you can switch to that Space. Not perfect, but it works-ish.
    • Install BetterTouchTools and customize a gesture to activate Spaces.

I just picked up a MTP today..... hopefully I like it, but if I don't..... back it goes. So far I like it, but my thumb is a little uncomfortable from not having a mouse to grip. We'll see......

19. dgdosen macrumors 65816

dgdosen

I just picked one up yesterday, and am loving it for the desktop. That, along with a bt keyboard let's me keep my hands and back in a much better position while working. I can sit up straight!

I also used MutliClutch to override the three fingered gesture. Now I swipe three left, and I get all the spaces, swipe three right to get all Windows.

Hello Apple - please allow for custom up swipe settings on three and four finger up down swipes. It seems to be so easy...

20. rgarjr macrumors 603

rgarjr

Yeah I picked a trackpad yesterday as well. The inertia scrolling is one of my favorite things about it. It takes some time to get used to it.

21. = bluntman = macrumors regular

I have been using the MT with my MP since the MT was first released. Adding the BetterTouchTool utility made my MT experience even better; I didn't miss my Logitech MX Revolution mouse after that!

22. arnop macrumors regular

arnop

Quite the same, I enjoy the liberty of moves the Magic Mouse gives me. I guess it simply depends on the folks using it

23. Surely Guest

Surely

Hmmm, I find it to be less effort (don't have to move it around) and just as precise as the Magic Mouse. Examples of how it is less precise?

Plus, I can use it on my glass table without a mousepad.

24. eawmp1 macrumors 601

eawmp1

Tried the Magic Mouse but found multitouch painful, so I gave it to my wife. Got the Magic trackpad and I seldom use a mouse anymore (I love not having to move a mouse around). But then I used to love the Kensington Trackball.

25. Orree macrumors newbie

What do you mean by games not responding to the trackpad?

Out of interest, are there any advantages of using the Magic Trackpad over the built in ones in Apple's laptop range?