Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

pr0230

Suspended
Original poster
Feb 7, 2013
I see no urgent reason to jump on the 6.... My battery life is just fine... AND
NOTHING is remarkable in the 6 that makes me say "I GOTTA HAVE THAT"...

I have a 5s and we know if we live long enough the 6S will come out...

What would make me jump... not sure...

akhilleus

macrumors member
Aug 8, 2014
I'm always a phone behind anyway so I don't much care about getting something new immediately. I have a year left on my contract and I'll be getting the 5S when it ends most likely. As you said, Apple is notorious for upgrading iPhone models quite quickly, so if you're happy where you are, stay put and maybe the speculative 6S will whet your whistle.

GoCubsGo

macrumors Nehalem
Feb 19, 2005
Most of the time these threads are started by those who are unable to upgrade their phones for the fully subsidized price. I'm sure you're real happy with your 5S, as you should be, but more often than not this is just a reassurance to those who cannot upgrade. I'm sure even I've done it (without starting a thread) but it is getting a bit hard to reassure myself that my iPhone 4S is good enough and the newest features aren't a big enough jump for me. ;)

Macalway

macrumors 68040
Aug 7, 2013
The big size is pretty remarkable.

I mean, if size is you thing, you would be excited.

The smaller 6 looks less compelling, HOWEVER, i've read reviews that say it's very desirable.

And anyway, if you come here regularly, as the hype builds up you may be singing a different tune in a couple days :D

then again maybe not :D

GoCubsGo

macrumors Nehalem
Feb 19, 2005
That's going to be a cluster next year. What are they going to call it? 6S+?

Perhaps but you're actually 364 days away from actually having to worry about that one. They can call it the iPhone 6S+ Unicorn Poops in the Moonlight for all I care. It may make for a difficult acronym, but I've never been the slightest concerned with the name of an iPhone.

Mr.C

macrumors 603
Apr 3, 2011
London, UK.
The big size is pretty remarkable.

I mean, if size is you thing, you would be excited.

The smaller 6 looks less compelling, HOWEVER, i've read reviews that say it's very desirable.

And anyway, if you come here regularly, as the hype builds up you may be singing a different tune in a couple days :D

then again maybe not :D

It's not the size that matters but how you use it. ;)

phillytim

macrumors 68000
Aug 12, 2011
Philadelphia, PA
The Apple Pay is compelling enough to upgrade, but I can rationalize waiting for another year until my 5S contract is completed.

Other than a business reason, there's really never any good consumer reason to justify the expense of upgrading every year or iteration (other than some instant gratification enthusiast type situation).

itjw

macrumors 65816
Dec 20, 2011
Perhaps but you're actually 364 days away from actually having to worry about that one. They can call it the iPhone 6S+ Unicorn Poops in the Moonlight for all I care. It may make for a difficult acronym, but I've never been the slightest concerned with the name of an iPhone.

I must have this "unicorn poops" edition. Where can I order one? Is there a line? Does it have snappier Safari?

It sounds incredible, breathtaking, and like the best iPhone ever produced based on your description.

#MindBlown #Excitement #U2

dave420

macrumors 65816
Jun 15, 2010
I'm definitely planning to wait for next year, but I could always change my mind (especially when black Friday deals come later this year). Right now I'm not even sure which of the two sizes I would prefer and would like to see them in person. Would like to see how that develops more in a year.
Apple Pay is something I have wanted for years though. I wonder if you will be able to use it on the watch with the 5s. I'm sure places that take that as a payment method will be much more common in a year.

The Doctor11

macrumors 603
Dec 15, 2013
New York
I see no urgent reason to jump on the 6.... My battery life is just fine... AND
NOTHING is remarkable in the 6 that makes me say "I GOTTA HAVE THAT"...

I have a 5s and we know if we live long enough the 6S will come out...

What would make me jump... not sure...

Um thats great :rolleyes:

ukspeedtraps

macrumors newbie
Oct 13, 2011
I am still using the 64G 4S, got it from day 1, the 5 did not excite me in any way and the spec bump would have been no benefit to me. I did not bother with the 5S either and thought I would just wait for the 6.

I was hoping for a bit more out of the 6 but again I am not blown away by it, it does nothing I really need that the 4S wont do so I am going to stick with the 4S.

Sadly I don't really think there is any innovation in the 6, its the same as the others with a spec bump to be honest.. I may have been tempted if the 6 has the same spec as the plus but with a smaller screen, but I don't want a large screen just to get OIS

I really wanted something new with some real innovation but it didn't happen

pr0230

Suspended
Original poster
Feb 7, 2013
Wrong....

Most of the time these threads are started by those who are unable to upgrade their phones for the fully subsidized price. I'm sure you're real happy with your 5S, as you should be, but more often than not this is just a reassurance to those who cannot upgrade. I'm sure even I've done it (without starting a thread) but it is getting a bit hard to reassure myself that my iPhone 4S is good enough and the newest features aren't a big enough jump for me. ;)

Not this time... I am retired and can well afford the new phone... Other than NFC capabilities , (WHICH is NOT functional yet)... The new phone offers Nothing in the wow category...
To those that have a 4 or 4S... Time to upgrade...
My post should have elaborated on the DISAPOINTMENT with the New (loosly used) phone... NO news on an IPAD Pro (12 inch)... or for that matter an Upgrade to the Ipod Touch...

Full disclosure ,I have a 128gb IPAD, IPhone 5s 64gb, and an ancient IPod touch 5g 64 gb...

ARSC

macrumors 6502
Jun 27, 2010
Dont expect a design change anytime soon 6 or 6s same design or maybe 7.

Woodcrest64

macrumors 65816
Aug 14, 2006
I am still using the 64G 4S, got it from day 1, the 5 did not excite me in any way and the spec bump would have been no benefit to me. I did not bother with the 5S either and thought I would just wait for the 6.

I was hoping for a bit more out of the 6 but again I am not blown away by it, it does nothing I really need that the 4S wont do so I am going to stick with the 4S.

Sadly I don't really think there is any innovation in the 6, its the same as the others with a spec bump to be honest.. I may have been tempted if the 6 has the same spec as the plus but with a smaller screen, but I don't want a large screen just to get OIS

I really wanted something new with some real innovation but it didn't happen

I do like the increase in size but you are right. Other than the Apple Pay there isn't a whole lot compelling about the iPhone 6. I'm in a town of only 17,000 people and it will be awhile until the Apple Pay takes off here.

ukspeedtraps

macrumors newbie
Oct 13, 2011

Maybe if someone has the 4 but I have the 4S and really don't feel the need for an upgrade. There is not enough extra benefits to justify the expense in my opinion. I would be better spending the money on a new iPad, I am on the iPad 3, the speed and lightness of the new ones I would notice but not until they do an upgrade on the latest iPads would i be tempted to part with the cash, I would benefit far more as the iPad is my workhorse not the phone, the phone is really just a phone to me.

Skylitfly

macrumors 6502a
May 3, 2014
Personally I see it extremely pointless to buy "S" model iPhones, unless you upgrade your phone every year.

iPhone 6S will be just minor upgrade to the iPhone 6. No point upgrading.

I recommend buying iPhone 6 and then wait for iPhone 7.

GoCubsGo

macrumors Nehalem
Feb 19, 2005
Maybe if someone has the 4 but I have the 4S and really don't feel the need for an upgrade. There is not enough extra benefits to justify the expense in my opinion. I would be better spending the money on a new iPad, I am on the iPad 3, the speed and lightness of the new ones I would notice but not until they do an upgrade on the latest iPads would i be tempted to part with the cash, I would benefit far more as the iPad is my workhorse not the phone, the phone is really just a phone to me.
I too have the 4S and actually intended to jump to the 5 but didn't for no other reason than I procrastinated. Then I was going to jump to the 5S and again, just was fine with my off-contract 4S. Now I'm sitting here on the idea of a 6 because it wouldn't be terrible to have a new phone. I had talked myself out of it fairly quickly...right up until 10 pm last night when suddenly my rocker switch decided to backfire on me and the phone only vibrates...no rings. Speakers work and all. Seems it is time for a new phone whether I like it or not. Somewhere I stopped caring about the latest and greatest and enjoyed things that were paid for, off contract, and worked fine.
Personally I see it extremely pointless to buy "S" model iPhones, unless you upgrade your phone every year.

iPhone 6S will be just minor upgrade to the iPhone 6. No point upgrading.

I recommend buying iPhone 6 and then wait for iPhone 7.
If you ended up on the "S" upgrade path then you tend to just jump on the "S" models. I was on that path because I skipped the 4 when moving to Android. Came back and got the 4S. Had I kept the contract after 2 years, or renewed rather, I would be on the 5S today and the 6 would look less appealing.
I'm probably moving to android when my 5S contract runs out
Should be good. I felt like it was disjointed from the rest of my house which is pretty Apple-based.
Not this time... I am retired and can well afford the new phone... Other than NFC capabilities , (WHICH is NOT functional yet)... The new phone offers Nothing in the wow category...
My post should have elaborated on the DISAPOINTMENT with the New (loosly used) phone... NO news on an IPAD Pro (12 inch)... or for that matter an Upgrade to the Ipod Touch...

Full disclosure ,I have a 128gb IPAD, IPhone 5s 64gb, and an ancient IPod touch 5g 64 gb...
Well I did say "most of these threads..." ;)

I did not expect ground-breaking features from Apple on the 6. To me the 6 was about size and nothing more. Obviously they cannot get away with just a bigger phone so there were some features added. I don't recall when we saw an update that was actually ground-breaking. Maybe when they added the fingerprint sensor, but I'm not sure.

sunking101

macrumors 604
Sep 19, 2013
Talking about the 4.7" version; battery life is only marginally better, speed is only marginally better, the camera is only marginally better and the RAM remains the same. All you're really getting over the 5S is a bigger screen. Now for months on these forums, many people have been against the idea of a bigger screen...so what exactly is the incentive to upgrade this time 'round? Heck, the 5S is better looking too!

We needed more than just a bigger screen. Another killer feature was required, such as more RAM. Wouldn't that have been so easy to do? No scratching their heads trying to come up with an amazing new innovation, just bung a bigger RAM module in there. I'm gobsmacked that they didn't do that. I know it hasn't been confirmed yet but the signs aren't good at all.

randy98mtu

macrumors 65816
Mar 4, 2009
What else is there to add to cell phones? I think they have plateaued. That said, many of us have been waiting for a larger screen, so it doesn't get much more exciting than this year. I think Apple Pay is the only "new feature" this year and if it works as advertised (which Apple processes typically do) it will be a GREAT feature.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.