who like the new Beta for Firefox?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by spooky mulder, May 3, 2008.

1. spooky mulder macrumors regular

well who likes it... compared to safari, camino, opera omniweb. etc... I personally don't like the previous page button, what about every one else?

let 'er rip!!!

2. ergdegdeg Moderator emeritus

ergdegdeg

I love it. Wouldn't go back for anything.

PS: You can use other back-/forward buttons by going to View >> Toolbars >> Customize >> Use small icons

3. clevin macrumors G3

clevin

me 2

and I second the "small button" thing. It will remove the keyhole
    [​IMG]

4. MacAodh macrumors regular

I like the keyhole button, but there's a few things that annoy me.

1. When i press in either the address bar or the search box it should be one click = imput flasy thing, triple click = select all. not one click select all, that's windows, not mac.

2. Still no pdf support. This is just a little demented at this stage.

3. Little thing, but i use find quite often, it looks much better in safari where it's at the bottom, it tells you how many instances it's found and the highlight is much nicer.

But then again, it allows you better proxy server use and multiple password storage. Don't think i could go back from those two. (well i know i can't from the proxy, got access to all online journals and news papers with that!).

5. iMpathetic macrumors 68030

iMpathetic

It is screaming fast and I generally like it.

On my Windows machines, I'm still sticking with version 2, I've heard there are some pretty nasty memory leaks, although I've yet to come across one.

6. MacAodh macrumors regular

And i nearly forgot, firefox doesn't automatically finish your web address. God i used to hate that in safari...

7. clevin macrumors G3

clevin

about:config
    double click to turn browser.urlbar.autoFill to true
    about:config, turn browser.urlbar.clickSelectsAll to false
    http://forums.mozillazine.org/viewtopic.php?t=617305

Attached Files:

8. MacAodh macrumors regular

Where do you find the about:config?

9. clevin macrumors G3

clevin

take a look at my screenshot above

just type in "about:config" in firefox's urlbar and press enter.

for your amusement, you can try

about:
    about:plugins
    about:cache
    about:robots
    about:mozilla

as well, some of them are very funny :D

10. ergdegdeg Moderator emeritus

ergdegdeg

Simply type it in the URL-bar and press enter.

11. MacAodh macrumors regular

12. MacAodh macrumors regular

13. MacAodh macrumors regular

Now this is getting really nice, find bar up on the top and nice shadowed results, progress bar integrated with address bar, proper selection like apple should be... I owe you one... In fact, i owe you several :D

14. clevin macrumors G3

clevin

well, since you use find function very often, here is my bonus tips :D

1. goto preference->advanced->general, check "search for text when I start typing". This allows you to just "type and search" without press any key to invoke the search function. The search bar will appear automatically when you type.

2. since you already find the chrome folder, go into there, create a txt file called userChrome.css (or just rename that userChrome-example.css to userChrome.css), open the file with text editor, add this line
    Code:
    #FindToolbar > * {display: -moz-box; }
    .findbar-container>* {display: -moz-box !important;} 
    This is to force quickfind toolbar show the full featured "previous, next, hihlight" buttons, restart of firefox is needed for this to take effect.

3. goto about:config, change accessibility.typeaheadfind.timeout to a longer time (unit in ms) since quickfind toolbar has a short timeout after which it will go away.

Not sure if this will have any conflict with what you have done through that mozillazine post (it shouldn't). but its easy to reverse what I just mentioned in case you need to.

15. flopticalcube macrumors G4

flopticalcube

I like it, especially now that adblock works. I am having a few problems with some forms on javascript sites but apart from that, its pretty good.

16. jive turkey macrumors 6502

love, love, love, love, love, love, love, love, love, love, love, love it.

17. riscy macrumors 6502a

riscy

Me, happy boy since Beta 5 - much more stable!

18. GSMiller macrumors 68000

GSMiller

Looks very nice! I'll probably stick with Safari though. Firefox would be perfect if 1) the "close" button on the tabs was on the left and 2) if the status bar was integrated into the URL bar.

19. clevin macrumors G3

clevin

they are both doable especially #2) which is mentioned in above provided link, basically, an extension called "fission".

#1 is here

20. riscy macrumors 6502a

riscy

I prefer FF for the functionality of the addons/extensions, which give a lot more flexibility, personally speaking for myself.

EDIT: I KNEW that clevin (the smart ass ;) ) would reply with a more detailed response before me!!

21. burningrave101 macrumors 6502

How do you tell which beta version you're running? I downloaded it last night and it just says version 3.0pre.

22. clevin macrumors G3

clevin

u are probably running a nightly build, not a released beta version

:D

23. burningrave101 macrumors 6502

Well which version is newer/better? I just downloaded it from the link in one of the Firefox threads here and I do believe it's the latest nightly build.

24. clevin macrumors G3

clevin

your nightly is newer, but nightly might have this or that problems since its basically internal test version. released beta normally is more stable.

also nightly will ask for update everyday unless u turn off auto update, thats why its called "nightly"

but since now its getting very close to firefox 3 final, the nightly is quite stable. you should be fine. just remember to download RC1 when its out.

25. velocityg4 macrumors 68040

velocityg4

The biggest annoyance for me is when I find a new desktop picture and right click then select "Save Image As..." if I rename it I have to remember to type in .jpg at the end. If I do not it saves the file without an extension making it unusable until I manually add one later.

I also could not use the online bill payment for one of my creditors. I did not get one of those IE only warnings it just would freeze on loading the page. Firefox 2 works fine though.

Personally I love the 1 click selects all in the address bar. I always hate it when I click and paste a hyperlink I have to remember to jab the mouse like crazy until everything is selected.

What I like most though is how the browser does not freeze up for a few seconds when saving a pic like FF2 does when you have a large cache.