Who likes to use their MBA solo?

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by L T, Oct 13, 2013.

1. L T macrumors 6502

L T

By this I mean, no external monitors, keyboards, trackpads/mouses, speakers

Basically, nothing more than the magsafe connected when needed.

I decided to get my desk set up with my external monitor and apple wireless trackpad and keyboard. Using my MacBook as a second screen and with peripherals plugged into every port, but then when I want to go downstairs I have to eject and unplug everything. Also when connecting and unplugging the monitor it messes up the desktop and window placement I have going.

Now my desk is just blank with my MacBook flying solo in the middle, if I'm at my desk for more than an hour I'll plug my external drive in for back ups using time machine.

So who else likes to use their MBA solo, its a lovely experience

2. Boyd01 macrumors 68040

Boyd01

My 11" MBA is a great solo computer when travelling, but why would I limit myself to the tiny screen at home? For the most part, I'm happy to use it at my desk with the big monitor and keyboard. I don't need to carry it around the house with me everywhere I go. ;)

3. AppleMacNerd macrumors regular

My MBA is solely for use on the go apart from magsafe I may use USB to Ethernet every so often!

As when I'm at home I use my desktop gaming pc or if i'm watching tv I will use my MBA on my knee at which point I can't connect anything else to it.

4. daviddth macrumors 6502a

daviddth

I'll use it bare much of the time, but if doing anything serious on photoshop I'll attach the drawing tablet to it. It rarely gets plugged into an external screen as it's a mobile device, and I use PC's at home for most of the heavier work, freeing the MBA for lighter duties when at home.

I do have a magic mouse, but dont always use it - only when I am doing stuff that needs a lot of movement and clicking around a screen, such as sequencing the Christmas Lights, light photoshop or premiere Pro work etc.

5. NMF macrumors 6502a

NMF

Y'know, Apple makes a pretty great product to fix the exact issues you're running in to. ;)

I do use my MBA "solo" more often than not, but only because I'm mobile with it and not sitting at my desk. When I'm at the desk it's plugged into the TB display.

6. flowrider macrumors 601

flowrider

Always use it "solo" as I only use it when I travel, or when updating (once a week) in the house. My Mac Pro is my main machine.

Lou

7. DisplacedMic macrumors 65816

i have a nice office with a TBD...and i still like using my 11" solo unless i have to have the real-estate.

you're not alone

8. Saturn1217 macrumors 6502a

Yes. I only ever use it solo.

My desk at work (I work in a research lab) isn't very big so no room for other peripherals. I kind of like using it solo though. With the magsafe charger being so convenient to detach it is really easy to just grab the computer and go (which has helped me catch the bus home many times).

I have considered getting an external display but it seems kind of difficult to justify the expense since I would be able to use it at work.

9. afireintonto macrumors 6502a

afireintonto

i always use mine solo too, although i have been considering stealing the magic mouse from my imac if i buy one of the magic trackpads.

10. ionjohn, Oct 13, 2013
    Last edited: Oct 13, 2013

ionjohn macrumors 65816

ionjohn

When I had a MacBook Pro, I would use it solo all the time And I'll do the same when I get a mba.

No need for a mouse, I love the trackpad.
    Speakers are good enough for me and I'll use my EarPods so I can switch songs and all.
    Screen size is perfect for when you're in bed watching xfiles on netflix :D

11. krazykleo macrumors regular

Solo user here, too.

Homework, youtube, and internet. That's it for me. Battery lasts me all day long for my use!!! :D

12. SusanK macrumors 68000

Always solo. I charge when I'm not using it. Connect external drive for backups then disconnect.

13. Mrbobb macrumors 601

Isn't that what a laptop suppose to be?

Is only weird people who buy a laptop then turn it into an octopus.

14. abz1981 macrumors 65816

15. DisplacedMic macrumors 65816

oh sweet - xfiles is on netflix? i didn't know that

16. Idarzoid macrumors 6502

I have a desktop PC already, so I always use my MBA solo when I'm moving around with it.

17. Serban Suspended

i have a 21.5" and a 27" waiting so absolute solo MBA

18. filmbuff macrumors 6502a

filmbuff

I'm in college so I like to keep my computer setup "light". No monitors, keyboards, or speakers. I use a 13" MBA as my main computer for everything. It has plenty of power for some light photo editing, video editing, watching movies, and work. I thought going to a 13" screen would be hard but it turned out not to be an issue at all.

When I move into a more permanent residence and/or have more money I will probably get a larger monitor and RAID storage but this is fine for now.

19. ionjohn macrumors 65816

ionjohn

Yup it is! all 9 seasons! No films though :(

20. The Man macrumors 6502

Had Mac mini + 21" screen, now use 11" MacBook Air solo. Connected an AppleTV to the screen, but only use it occasionally for watching a movie.

21. Chicane-UK macrumors 6502

I use my 11" Air solo sometimes, but do find the screen a bit too small for doing anything really productive - but for general on the road use, it's awesome. The trackpad is absolutely brilliant and the keyboard is excellent. Even the speakers put out more volume than I expected.

22. BenTrovato macrumors 68020

BenTrovato

23. Miss Roxy macrumors newbie

Me. :) I use my MBA ( solo ) whenever I'm out and about / chilling on my bed.

I do everything else on my desktop pc. ( gaming, listening to music, etc )

24. na1577 macrumors 6502a

I connect my Air to the TV for Netflix and games, but for the most part it sits on my desk with nothing plugged in. I have a mouse but I don't like using it.

25. kage207 macrumors 6502a

I use mine solo and external. I love full screen apps.